Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sirN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
Northern CA
I heard this awhile back and I don't remember where but it was in regards to an issue with G5 Powermacs not booting and giving the blinking lights of death (memory issue?).

I have a G5 1.8 DP that quit working almost 2 years ago. It wont boot and gives the blinking lights which according to what I've read means some type of RAM issue. Obviously I swapped out the RAM but still had the problem.

The G5's been sitting in my closet ever since and I never felt like shelling out another grand or so to repair. So I bought an iMac.

Then I heard something about others having this issue. Does anyone know anything about it?

Also, great forum you have here. Thanks for letting me in!

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I noticed yo posted in my other thread. If you try out my approach, let me know if it works out for you.

Apple and their cheap solder joints. Anyone remember the iBooks, Powerbooks, even the 8600 MBPs ;)

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition
G5's are REALLY picky about RAM. I just had a serious and confusing problem myself with a G5 single 1.8Ghz processor that wound up being a RAM issue. The son of a gun would boot and then start doing something and then realize it didn't like the RAM, kernel panic, crash. I would recommend trying it out with some really, really decent RAM. Purchase a Kingston 512MB x2 (1GB kit) PC3200, 400Mhz matched set, something you know for certain is good and matches. You might have a better result. Also, there's those red error code lights inside the box you should watch for. Those can tip you off as well.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
They are INSANELY picky about RAM; the G4 and later (imac and b/w era) G3s as well. For any of those models I always suggest using a seller from RamSeeker specific to your model, or at least get the specs from one of them. ramseeker.com, pull down menu in the upper right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.