G5 Question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by G5-Sir Mac Alot, Sep 24, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I have a dual 1.8 ghz. powermac g5 that im using as my everyday machine. I have the ability to get a motherboard and processor and watercooled setup from a 2.7 dual. But no enclosure. Can I swap the 1.8 stuff out and install the 2.7 in my enclosure. Also he says that he doesnt have a cpu cover. does that matter? will mine fit it?

2. macrumors P6

Intell

The CPU cover doesn't really matter. The only problem would be the power supply. The 1.8Ghz one you have may not be able to power the 2.7Ghz board and CPUs.

3. thread starter macrumors member

How would I know? Also I looked up on everymac.com and it shows that both were identified as A1047 powermac 7.3. Doesnt that mean the models are identical other than processor size. Sorry, complete noob on things like this.

4. macrumors P6

Intell

One power supply is rated for 550 watts and the other is rated for 700 watts.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Ok, according to Galaxyparts.com.. All dual processor G5s should have the 600 watt power supply. The list showed both the Dual 1.8ghz and Dual 2.7ghz. as being the same. Only the First run single cpus had 450watt supplys. Maybe this will work?!?

6. macrumors P6

Intell

According to the Apple Service manual, they are different. If you attempt that, you'll likely blow your power supply.

7. thread starter macrumors member

Ok. Oh well. Thank you for your help. Its my only machine so I better not take a chance.

8. macrumors 68040

666sheep

Nope. They have different numbers but exactly that same specs.
    All 600W ones are interchangeable, as well 450W ones.

OP, you can use 1,8's PSU in 2.7 if it's 600W one.

9. thread starter macrumors member

Really? Thank you so much! I did some more research last night and sounds like it should go smoothly but may have to use asd disc to get fans in order again. Now if I can just get the guy to answer an email, I coiuld just go get it!:rolleyes: