Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Content

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2009
Hi Guys, new to here, new to Mac's.
I have a Power Mac Quad 2.5. late 2005 I would like to get a LED display. The new Apple LED , I am told it wont run on my Power Mac. Is it as simple as putting in another video card........currently have a NVIDIA 6600, but I cannot confirm that. I pulled the video card out, but could not find a model number on it anywhere.
What about third party cards, adapter etc.
Thanks in advance

Mr C:)

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
For now, it cannot be done.

If some company decides they want to bother making an adapter… well, you'd better hope they do

Mr Content

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2009
wow that was super quick- not the answer i was looking for though lol. Thanks so much.
Cheers

macuser154

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
UK
Well, as you probably know, you need a card, or an adapter (if anyone actually bothers to make one) that has the Mini-Displayport connector.

The new cards for the Mac Pro have Mini-DP connectors on them, so I guess you could see if one of those cards would work with your G5. I doubt it will work though. I think the cards need EFI to work. I don't know much about this so hopefully someone could expand on what I have said.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Hi Guys, new to here, new to Mac's.
I have a Power Mac Quad 2.5. late 2005 I would like to get a LED display. The new Apple LED , I am told it wont run on my Power Mac. Is it as simple as putting in another video card........currently have a NVIDIA 6600, but I cannot confirm that. I pulled the video card out, but could not find a model number on it anywhere.
What about third party cards, adapter etc.
Thanks in advance

My advice would be to get rid of the G5 fairly pronto. It looks highly likely that PowerPC's going to drop in price big time if Snow Leopard does indeed turn out to be Intel only. Sure a computer isn't worthless if it can't run the newest iteration of an OS but if Snow Leopard is Intel only then chances are third party software will rapidly start to be Intel only too. Having a quick glance on eBay, it looks like G5 quads are going for ~$1000. If you need the quad cores then a Mac Pro (any model) and an Apple 4870 card will let you run a 24" Apple LED display. Alternatively, if you don't need four cores then you could get a new 2.26GHz Mac Mini, put in 4GB of RAM third party and a 7200rpm 500gb drive all for under $1000. That would be faster in anything that can't use more than two cores.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.