Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supermacdesign

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
We have a G5 dual 2 running 10.4.7 has been having this problem. On start up it does and doesn't make it to the desktop and freezes. The fan then continues to wind up faster and faster. At this point you panic and reboot the machine. It is then fine after that. It has happened several times now in the morning at start up. The previous night it was shutdown properly.

Any one have an idea of what is going on?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What peripherals have you got plugged in? Does it boot normally from the OSX disc? If it does, then maybe try repairing the disk in the bundled version of Disk Utility. :)

Mhaddy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Canada
I've had this problem too in the past (though it has never been on startup) - it hasn't happened in the last two months or so (since 10.4.7). I never shut my G5 off, so it's always in sleep mode when I'm not using it - but several times I'll be woken up in the middle of the night to the whale of the fans and the G5 frozen... only solution is to reboot.

I too am curious as to what this is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.