Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluemonkey

macrumors regular
Original poster
I have a dual G5 2.0Ghz 2gb RAM running Tiger.

I have had the problem in the past of restarting the machine only for it to boot up and show the desktop image and the spotlight icon in the top right, but it doesn't get any further. When it happened before, I zapped PRAM and ran FSCK, with complete success. Today, while I was working, the screen went dark gray and a warning told me that I needed to restart. I hold down the power key until it shuts down, and I restart, with the same result as before: the desktop image is there and the spotlight image, but it won't go any further. I zapped PRAM and ran FSCK, but to no avail. Can anyone help?

GyroFX

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2002
Los Angeles and NorCal
i've had similar problems running in 10.3.X. I'm not sure if my problem is the same as yours...but sometimes my computer would just freeze and the screen turns grey, with messages saying there's an error, blah blah. I thought i had a bad power box, but then i started tinkering with stuff inside the computer. I started removing ram...and I actually found one bad Ram chip that caused the freeze up. Check your ram to see that it's not corrupt...removing a piece and restart...see what happens.

Another instance was when my computer got too hot and it would give me the same message. I alleviated the problem by removing all my PCI metal brackets in the back of the computer, thus allowing ample air flow. That seemed to solve my problems as well.

BTW, i'm running on QUICKSILVER dual 1Ghz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.