Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanZy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
I switched from a 6s+. Loving the functionality and Android and the Note. Hate the limitations of sms/MMS compared to iMessage but not a deal breaker for me

I love the note 7, but seriously I might switch back to iphone because of imessage alone

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
If you hate the iPhone, what do you have to lose?
Currently in college so I would have to sell my iPhone first to et the money for it the note. That's why I'm asking.

I switched from a 6s+. Loving the functionality and Android and the Note. Hate the limitations of sms/MMS compared to iMessage but not a deal breaker for me

That is the only problem I have. A ton of group texts I am in regarding school projects and work are all iPhones with iMessage which I love

UAV

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2015
i don't do group text but i am willing to bet there is an android app for this. hit the play store and do a search for "group text" and im positive you will find your answer

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
i don't do group text but i am willing to bet there is an android app for this. hit the play store and do a search for "group text" and im positive you will find your answer
When coming from iMessage you must have all your contacts delete any group threads with you in them. Then start a new group thread and it will work again iOs has a MAJOR issue with hijacking your number with group texts even if you have properly turned off iMessage on all your devices. I've tested this extensively and this is the only way to get them working again. Fyi I'm usong Textra as my sms app but should work fine with any sms app once all old threads are deleted on your friends and families devices

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
If they are real friends and family, they will find a way to accommodate you and contact you. I can promise the world will not end if you lose out on some group messaging

Reactions: kazzamc

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
When coming from iMessage you must have all your contacts delete any group threads with you in them
Or delete yourself from the thread and then ask the people to add you again. I think that would work too and won't bother those who doesn't want to delete their whole threads.

Reactions: davidgolfer

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Just an observation:

This forums is not fillee with several threads pertaining to the note 7 and switching to the note 7. Despite the complaints here, it seems have made a splash. Darn good phone, eh?

Reactions: Oohara

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I can't remember who asked but I have seen when I pull the phone out of my pocket the always on display is sometimes super dim and hard to see.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I can't remember who asked but I have seen when I pull the phone out of my pocket the always on display is sometimes super dim and hard to see.

Its designed that way to save battery, and will get brighter as its in a brighter environment, ie. not your pocket.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Not sure if we have a separate thread for this but I picked up an Otterbox Commuter case from Best Buy tonite and really like it. Hate putting this thing in a case but I feel like it's a necessity. I think the Commuter offers good protection and there's a lip on the upper and lower ends of the case so when u lay it down flat the screen doesn't touch. Has port covers for the headphone and power openings so stay away if u don't like those. I don't think it adds too much bulk but definitely not as thin and light as going caseless. Even with the case on its smaller than my 6S+ with a thin tpu case was.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
This Note 7 is the nicest phone I've ever owned. Being able to pull out the stylus when locked and take a quick note is like always having a little tablet with you. Waterproofing for little things like dropping into a sink. Samsung Pay which works amazingly well even with magnetic only readers. The iris reader works like magic. The design and flexibility is amazing. Battery life is decent and it charges fast.

TouchWiz seems to be getting much better. Sure it can stutter once in awhile when getting into complex stuff, but overall it's fast and smooth. If the iPhone 7 is just a warmed over 6s then Apple will be far behind Samsung. I know they have a lot of money and don't care because people will buy it because it's an iPhone, but dang they are falling behind

Now if you've always been on an iPhone and you need a very simple, neutered experience then don't go Android, but if you like to mess around and have flexibility it's great.

I own a Mac, an iPad Air 2 and a Windows PC for teaching. I have no issues using the different platforms and since I use a lot of Google it all works together pretty well.

Reactions: Jetcat3

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I love the note 7, but seriously I might switch back to iphone because of imessage alone
For the past 3 years I've tried every Note and Nexus device that came out and my main reason for going back was because of iMessage. This time I'm so glad I didn't. It's tough to get out if all your friends and family are using it but after a week or two it doesn't really matter. text messages come in, pcitures come in, group messaging will work provided your friends/family delete prior threads. the only thing that really sucks is sending videos but there are other services that do that i.e. facebook messenger, whatsapp, etc. No doubt iMessage is a great service but just like everything else Apple, you are locked into buying their hardware. Not that that's a bad thing if you want to use their products exclusively but for those of us who like to tinker and get bored and like to switch back and forth, the walled garden is a complete hinderance, cross platform apps and services allow us to seamlessly switch back and forth between operating systems.

As a LONG time iPhone user (going on 7 years) and an even longer time tech/phone junkie I can honestly say that I feel so much better that I've made the switch to cross platform services recently. Doesn't mean I won't ever use an iPhone again (am really looking forward to seeing what the 2017 iPhone brings to the table). but it does mean that if I do switch back to the iPhone I most likely wont turn iMessage back on. There's just too much exciting technology coming from Google and others to lock yourself into Apple services. Now if iMessage went cross platform I'd be on it in a heartbeat..

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
For the past 3 years I've tried every Note and Nexus device that came out and my main reason for going back was because of iMessage. This time I'm so glad I didn't. It's tough to get out if all your friends and family are using it but after a week or two it doesn't really matter. text messages come in, pcitures come in, group messaging will work provided your friends/family delete prior threads. the only thing that really sucks is sending videos but there are other services that do that i.e. facebook messenger, whatsapp, etc. No doubt iMessage is a great service but just like everything else Apple, you are locked into buying their hardware. Not that that's a bad thing if you want to use their products exclusively but for those of us who like to tinker and get bored and like to switch back and forth, the walled garden is a complete hinderance, cross platform apps and services allow us to seamlessly switch back and forth between operating systems.

As a LONG time iPhone user (going on 7 years) and an even longer time tech/phone junkie I can honestly say that I feel so much better that I've made the switch to cross platform services recently. Doesn't mean I won't ever use an iPhone again (am really looking forward to seeing what the 2017 iPhone brings to the table). but it does mean that if I do switch back to the iPhone I most likely wont turn iMessage back on. There's just too much exciting technology coming from Google and others to lock yourself into Apple services. Now if iMessage went cross platform I'd be on it in a heartbeat..
giphy.gif

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I have the time out display set to 3 minutes but it keeps dimming and timing out after about 20 seconds. Anyone else experiencing this? I've tried turning off smart stay

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So any UK'ers getting their Note's tomorrow?!

Mine will be getting to me on Friday I believe but it's exciting to think that it's finally coming out!

I'm still not sure what Vodafone are playing at with my order(s) as it seems my original new connection is still active according to order tracking, which is not ideal. I was told twice it had been cancelled. o_O
So I may end up with 2 Note's on Friday... but I'll just have to send the new order back and keep my upgrade.

Anyone who didn't order from rubbish Vodafone who get theirs tomorrow?! :)

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

It's not just iMessage. Normal texting/MMS is superior on iOS as well. I'm in a thread with a couple of folks, one of which has an Android phone so it's not an iMessage thread. If I send 2-3 videos or gifs, when I try to upload another one I get a "Your limit has been reached" error message. That doesn't happen on iOS. I don't know if maybe iOS does a better job of compressing the videos or just works around carrier limits somehow.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
It's not just iMessage. Normal texting/MMS is superior on iOS as well. I'm in a thread with a couple of folks, one of which has an Android phone so it's not an iMessage thread. If I send 2-3 videos or gifs, when I try to upload another one I get a "Your limit has been reached" error message. That doesn't happen on iOS. I don't know if maybe iOS does a better job of compressing the videos or just works around carrier limits somehow.
Hmmmm that is strange...... I can send any and all the videos and gifs I want on my Note 7 and never get that error. Maybe you have some settings that set a limit on how much you can send data limit and size wise.
Really though i have both a 6s+ and Note 7 and sending regular texts from both phones is pretty great. They are BOTH pretty much the same. I don't see or notice a difference.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014

I'm glad everyone I know has enough sense to use WhatsApp, Telegram, Messenger, or BBM. Even my parents are in BBM, and they're old, like real old. Lol. And anyone that only texts with me, are usually people that aren't that close to me to be sending multimedia anyway. These days with all the wicked cross platform messenger apps, I say, If you're under 60, you got no business still using basic sms. Lol.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
"These days with all the wicked cross platform messenger apps, I say, If you're under 60, you got no business still using basic sms."

Dont agree, regular sms works just fine for my uses

Reactions: MRU

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Hmmmm that is strange...... I can send any and all the videos and gifs I want on my Note 7 and never get that error. Maybe you have some settings that set a limit on how much you can send data limit and size wise.
Really though i have both a 6s+ and Note 7 and sending regular texts from both phones is pretty great. They are BOTH pretty much the same. I don't see or notice a difference.

Are you using the Note's stock message app or do you use a 3rd party? I had the exact same issue with my GS7E. Also, what carrier are you with? Maybe it's a VZW thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.