Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
I would stop you at less technical there.. Stock android is a blank canvas that you create your own experience with. I would argue it is directed at both crowds, those that want simplicity and those that want to create their own experience, versus the debloating approach most technical people take when buying a samsung phone (especially people in the USA that have to deal with carrier bloat)

only tmobile samsung phones have unlockable bootloaders in the usa too. nexus has them across the board, another sign of catering to the technical crowd

Absolutely. My wife tried a Samsung galaxy a few years back and couldn't handle all the bolted on features. It was just overwhelming to her. She called it a nerd phone and went back to Apple iOS.

Fast forward two more years and I convinced her to try again with the 5x. She loves it and has no intentions of moving back to Apple. I absolutely would agree it is due to the simplicity of stock android and the Google Now launcher.

I think the thought that the Nexus line is truly only for the dev-type users is going away. Google is trying hard to bring it to the masses. And they are succeeding.

Reactions: jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The leaks continue...

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Bump-begone-Galaxy-S7-camera-to-sit-almost-flush_id77934
galaxy-camera.jpg

New Edge features:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...eck-out-the-new-edge-display-features_id77936

S7-Edge-display-modes.jpg

More solid build:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Snap...cle-in-leaked-AnTuTu-benchmark-result_id77931

"Eldar claims that the handset will be more structurally sound compared to its predecessor, thanks to a reinforced frame and rearranged internals. We already heard a rumor that the S7 might use a new magnesium alloy material for the frame, so these claims could have some merit. In fact, the phone has apparently been reworked in such a way in terms of durability, that it would be able to withstand drops without complete shattering of the glass on the front or back."

Better warranty too?

Samsung, says Eldar Murtazin, is so certain of its new chassis construction, that in certain markets it may introduce a new expanded warranty for the device that will have the screen replaced at little or no cost if you drop the phone and break the glass within the first year of ownership.

Reactions: Sevanw and jamezr

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
The leaks continue...

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Bump-begone-Galaxy-S7-camera-to-sit-almost-flush_id77934
galaxy-camera.jpg

New Edge features:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gala...eck-out-the-new-edge-display-features_id77936

S7-Edge-display-modes.jpg

More solid build:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Snap...cle-in-leaked-AnTuTu-benchmark-result_id77931

"Eldar claims that the handset will be more structurally sound compared to its predecessor, thanks to a reinforced frame and rearranged internals. We already heard a rumor that the S7 might use a new magnesium alloy material for the frame, so these claims could have some merit. In fact, the phone has apparently been reworked in such a way in terms of durability, that it would be able to withstand drops without complete shattering of the glass on the front or back."

Better warranty too?

Samsung, says Eldar Murtazin, is so certain of its new chassis construction, that in certain markets it may introduce a new expanded warranty for the device that will have the screen replaced at little or no cost if you drop the phone and break the glass within the first year of ownership.

WRT the screen warranty, we have that in most African countries, from S4, S5, S6 to Note 3, Note 4 and Note 5. Two free screen repairs or two free water damage repairs or 1 free screen and 1 free water repair in the 1st 2years of ownership.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The camera hump is smaller because the phone itself is thicker.

Yeah, I hope so for the larger battery. I personally never minded the hump (I think an off-center hump, like the iPhone, is way worse cause it wobbles more severely), but I'm all for a thicker device if it means a larger battery.

The S7 should probably be a bit heavier too.

S6 perfected... make it happen, Samsung.

Reactions: JaySoul

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I gotta ask again, does anyone know if Best Buy will eventually carries the Galaxy S phones unlocked? And if so, usually how long after release?

mel823

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
NYC
I gotta ask again, does anyone know if Best Buy will eventually carries the Galaxy S phones unlocked? And if so, usually how long after release?
It usually a couple of months later and it'll most likely be the 32GB model. B&H usually sells it unlocked as well, and its usually the different world models, but I don't know how soon they get their stock.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
is there currently an unlocked gsm s6 model that works with samsung pay in the usa?

I know the international unlocked models dont do samsung pay

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I personally don't like the Samsung edge software features, mostly because that persisting little line won't go away and annoys me. I use Swipepad anyway so it doesn't matter. If they got rid of that line for edge features I might actually use it.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Tbh I think the S7 is shaping up to be a near perfect phone. Possibly the best of all time.

- waterproof
- bigger battery
- better lowlight camera
- SD support
- same stunning screen
- the curved back from the Note 5
- beautiful design
- faster charging
- wireless charging

If they can manage all that (as rumours seem to think) AND continue to lighten the software, then it could be a no-brainer undisputed general Android champion of the world!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Tbh I think the S7 is shaping up to be a near perfect phone. Possibly the best of all time.

- waterproof
- bigger battery
- better lowlight camera
- SD support
- same stunning screen
- the curved back from the Note 5
- beautiful design
- faster charging
- wireless charging

If they can manage all that (as rumours seem to think) AND continue to lighten the software, then it could be a no-brainer undisputed general Android champion of the world!

All the rumors certainly are shaping up to look that way. Now they just have to come true. And the most important one that has to come true is the software improvements -- not necessarily because it needs that much work, but mostly because that's probably the last major talking point against Samsung.

I wonder if that rumored "cheaper price" will be true, too. I hope so.

Last edited:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
All the rumors certainly are shaping up to look that way. Now they just have to come true.

If they have any sense at all, they will cut the price - then make it up with some fantastic Samsung accessories.

But I doubt that will happen. Hence why Apple and Samsung's mobile growth is slowing. The price is reaching a tipping point.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
All the rumors certainly are shaping up to look that way. Now they just have to come true. And the most important one that has to come true is the software improvements -- not necessarily because it needs that much work, but mostly because that's probably the last major talking point against Samsung.

yep...the two major talking point for Samsung phones are usually TW and battery life.
The rumors say it will have a bigger battery so that should help. Rumors also point to an improved TW and help from Google. But we will see....rumors are only rumors.
[doublepost=1454515581][/doublepost]
If they have any sense at all, they will cut the price - then make it up with some fantastic Samsung accessories.

But I doubt that will happen. Hence why Apple and Samsung's mobile growth is slowing. The price is reaching a tipping point.
agreed...the price points just keep moving up and OEMs like Huawei and others are stepping in with lower priced options.
I also think we are reaching smartphone saturation. the technology is just so good right now it is giving people less reason to upgrade.

Reactions: gotluck

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yeah, even with all these improvements, I don't know if I'm willing to drop 500 to 600+ dollars more just to upgrade from my S6 to the S7.

I also want to get a peak at the iPhone 7 and the Nexus device this year before committing. And by then, surely, there'll be price drops for the S7.

However, when the time comes, it might be harder to resist, especially if all the rumors come true.

Reactions: gotluck

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yeah, even with all these improvements, I don't know if I'm willing to drop 500 to 600+ dollars more just to upgrade from my S6 to the S7.

I also want to get a peak at the iPhone 7 and the Nexus device this year before committing. And by then, surely, there'll be price drops for the S7.

However, when the time comes, it might be harder to resist, especially if all the rumors come true.
See this is why I switched to TMO last year from Verizon. The JUMP program! I can take my N5 in and jump to the S7 edge plus and be out in 10 minutes. I plan to do the same with my 6s+ to the IP7+ in the fall.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
Accidentally found myself on Gizmodo (I know .. I know... I was just opening links in new tabs) and read this:

What will it be called?
This one is fairly certain. It will be called the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge. Yes, there will also be another Edge device (sigh). Samsung hasn’t used roman numerals since the Galaxy S III, and I see absolutely no reason why’d they revert now.

Besides, the iPhone 7 is also coming out this year, so why not have a numerically similar name to the most popular smartphone on the planet. Seems like a fairly obvious choice for Samsung at this point.

Dammit Samsung, why did it have to copy Apple over the "7" part too. How can anyone forget the order of numbers ... 1,2,3,4,5,6,Q,7,8,9.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Dammit Samsung, why did it have to copy Apple over the "7" part too. How can anyone forget the order of numbers ... 1,2,3,4,5,6,Q,7,8,9.

Lol. With the tick tock iPhone release cycle, it's only a matter of time until the Galaxy S is gets ahead and stays ahead of the numerical naming scheme.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Lol. With the tick tock iPhone release cycle, it's only a matter of time until the Galaxy S is gets ahead and stays ahead of the numerical naming scheme.

Next year it will happen, when the S8 arrives and iPhone will be 7S.

Although I do think its about time a rebrand of some sort happened.....then again, BMW still call their bread&butter "3series" so maybe its best to stick to Galaxy S and ride it "til the wheels fall off".

Reactions: jamezr

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
See this is why I switched to TMO last year from Verizon. The JUMP program! I can take my N5 in and jump to the S7 edge plus and be out in 10 minutes. I plan to do the same with my 6s+ to the IP7+ in the fall.
I know what you mean. People don't give enough credit to T-Mobile for making it so easy to upgrade to the newest flagship phones.

Next year it will happen, when the S8 arrives and iPhone will be 7S.

Although I do think its about time a rebrand of some sort happened.....then again, BMW still call their bread&butter "3series" so maybe its best to stick to Galaxy S and ride it "til the wheels fall off".
I think anything past 10 is just too much. Samsung Galaxy S11 Edge, iPhone 11s, those names don't sound too good.

It's almost time for them to come up with clever names that will last them for another 10 years, much like Apple had to do when they ran out of cats for OS X.

Reactions: Tsepz and Truefan31
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.