Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dookieman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
Anyone download the 10.10 beta and try some games? I'm wondering if there will be any performance improvement. I hoping METAL makes its way over to OSX as well. That could definitely help the game studios bring modern games over to the Mac.

linjac951

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2014
Anyone download the 10.10 beta and try some games? I'm wondering if there will be any performance improvement. I hoping METAL makes its way over to OSX as well. That could definitely help the game studios bring modern games over to the Mac.

This iteration is more for user experience. Performance updates was with mavericks. And it is pretty up to par with windows when it comes with performance. Its probably not going get better than this. I feel with the tweaks with translucent windows might even drop performance a little, but thats my speculation.

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
This iteration is more for user experience. Performance updates was with mavericks. And it is pretty up to par with windows when it comes with performance. Its probably not going get better than this. I feel with the tweaks with translucent windows might even drop performance a little, but thats my speculation.

Mac OS X isn't really close to being on par to Windows when it comes to gaming performance...

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
My small understanding was that Mavericks focused on improving Mac gaming.

Metal seems to be more focused on mobile. Many Mac games are actually ports of their PC counterparts so they may not get it.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013

Metal will not transition over to the Mac lineup until they start using ARM CPUs. Metal is specific to the iPhone/iPad, at least as far as I can tell. It is a substitute for OpenGL, at least as far as they have advertised. As people start developing under the standard, we will see if Metal will be useful while integrated with Intel/Nvidia chips.

Matt

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Once these software companies support ARM for their desktop operating systems, that will change.

If you're talking about playing mobile games on your mac, sure. Other wise, no, it won't. ARM is no where near powerful enough for the big PC/console games.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I've had a few games run better of OSX over Windows.

That's an exception, not the rule. An exception I've personally never experienced nor seen duplicated in any review I've ever read. Meaning it's rare enough that it isn't even a factor. You having a "few" that did, is a bit hard to believe. I'd be interested to know which games you're referring to.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
That's an exception, not the rule. An exception I've personally never experienced nor seen duplicated in any review I've ever read. Meaning it's rare enough that it isn't even a factor. You having a "few" that did, is a bit hard to believe. I'd be interested to know which games you're referring to.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7399/...review-iris-pro-driving-an-accurate-display/3

Your not reading hard enough ;)

OS X 10.8.5 vs. Windows Gaming Performance - Bioshock Infinite
1366 x 768 Normal Quality 1600 x 900 High Quality
OS X 10.8.5 29.5 fps 23.8 fps
Windows 8 41.9 fps 23.2 fps

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
If you're talking about playing mobile games on your mac, sure. Other wise, no, it won't. ARM is no where near powerful enough for the big PC/console games.

I didn't say that.

I said the gaming experience will be better if they allow ARM processors.

Gaming on the iPhone/iPad is already a better experience than most desktop PCs simply because of the innovation and gaming titles available.

Yes, Windows/PC gaming will always yield the highest performance and best graphics, without a doubt.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011

The ironic part is that you obviously didn't read it at all. All but one test was done with Windows via bootcamp, and that ONE game that was an OSX vs Windows 8 comparison was done with two different settings. One where Windows had a 42% advantage and the other where they were virtually identical, both GPU bound, both unplayable at that higher setting. So I'll ask again, which game are you running where you see OSX having an advantage? My guess is none, since you answered this question the first time by posting a link that backs me up, which I do appreciate.

----------

I didn't say that.

I said the gaming experience will be better if they allow ARM processors.

Gaming on the iPhone/iPad is already a better experience than most desktop PCs simply because of the innovation and gaming titles available.

Yes, Windows/PC gaming will always yield the highest performance and best graphics, without a doubt.

Or simply emulate ARM in software which can and is easily being done now.

Last edited:

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
The ironic part is that you obviously didn't read it at all. All but one test was done with Windows via bootcamp, and that ONE game that was an OSX vs Windows 8 comparison was done with two different settings. One where Windows had a 42% advantage and the other where they were virtually identical, both GPU bound, both unplayable at that higher setting. So I'll ask again, which game are you running where you see OSX having an advantage? My guess is none, since you answered this question the first time by posting a link that backs me up, which I do appreciate.

----------

Or simply emulate ARM in software which can and is easily being done now.

Emulating isn't the best way around things. I want to see major companies support ARM with their desktop OS. ARM is getting there in raw horsepower. :p

I'd like to see Metal for Mac as it is for iOS. I can only hope. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.