Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
...it is getting pointless to try and fix what might be to far gone in the gaming area.

Its really not as bad as they would have you believe. The issues they bring up are present in all the forum sections. Some folks are just strung tighter than others. As I mentioned before, problems usually arise when people start claiming others are being biased, and even these types of conflicts rarely escalate into something that violates any rules.

I have long been in favor of killing the politics forum due to issues, but the games forum isn't anywhere near that bad.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Yes, nothing good comes from the political forums.
Believe it or not, I get most of my political news from MR when I chance to visit the sub-forum directly. It's a good source of filtered news with biased left-wing commentary. :)

Gaming forum? Meh. Not too interested in game talk. Y'all should ban the lot.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Believe it or not, I get most of my political news from MR when I chance to visit the sub-forum directly. It's a good source of filtered news with biased left-wing commentary. :)

Gaming forum? Meh. Not too interested in game talk. Y'all should ban the lot.
ok a little of topic, what's the ribbon for? did I miss the memo.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock

Attachments

• tambourine-monkey.gif
    tambourine-monkey.gif
    182.2 KB · Views: 189

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Its really not as bad as they would have you believe. The issues they bring up are present in all the forum sections. Some folks are just strung tighter than others. As I mentioned before, problems usually arise when people start claiming others are being biased, and even these types of conflicts rarely escalate into something that violates any rules.

I have long been in favor of killing the politics forum due to issues, but the games forum isn't anywhere near that bad.

You really think that the political forum is worse? It hasn't been that bad for a while but there were some huge knock-down-drag-outs at times.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
You really think that the political forum is worse? It hasn't been that bad for a while but there were some huge knock-down-drag-outs at times.

It has certainly gotten more manageable lately, but my main point was that the Game section really doesn't seem all that bad to me. Certainly not worse than the traditionally bad Politics section.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
There is nothing wrong with the Games forum. All you have to do is avoid it, and you'll all be fine. :)

Was anyone listening or was I just talking to myself?

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
I find it telling that most of the people calling for closing down the Games forum are -- unsurprisingly -- not contributors to that area at all.
I hate to say it but this thread is looking like the bickering that was mentioned in the games thread.:rolleyes:
The irony of the situation hasn't been lost on me, either. :)

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
How abouts it be called the "mad jew goes to Coventry" forum? :)

Sounds interesting, I wonder if he'd return alive ;)

Though I did today, Warwick Campus is technically in Coventry

EDIT: Sorry for being responsible for totally taking the thread off topic :eek:

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Take Two

This thread has drifted quite a bit so I'd like to take a moment to re-center it. Mostly I'm disappointed in how this thread has been misrepresented as a call for a dedicated moderator or that the Games fora requires some seemingly huge investment of time and energy to "correct."

That is not the case.

My original -- and current intent -- is to simply ask that the Games fora receive more pro-active moderation, preferably through the actions of a moderator who is familiar with that area and its posters. Someone who knows "who the troublemakers are," knows what the hot topics are, and reads/contributes to that area on a regular basis and is familiar with that micro-community.

This could either be an existing moderator -- I've no idea if any on the current staff frequent the Games fora; my gut reaction is "no" -- or a new moderator. Or perhaps a new moderator at a later date due to attrition. At that time, prior to refilling the position, consider a moderator who has the experience I've just outlined.

There are a number of persons that I can easily think of, off the top of my head, who would do an admirable job in this position. Regardless of what you may think of the Games fora, there are a number of intelligent and mature posters in that area that could help with oversight.

Talk of closing the Games fora is not constructive, in my opinion. It simply bespeaks of "giving up" on the fora or having an axe to grind. Certainly there are more important uses of resources on MR rather than discussing games? Things like politics, the latest movies, digital photography, or the evils of the Zune for example?

To bring this back around full-circle I think all that the Games fora needs is some visibility with a moderator and some handholding. I believe that the common, unspoken impression in that fora is one of "the mods aren't watching." Thus, it engenders a style of duplication, threadcrapping, and general disruptive behavior knowing that a) a mod likely won't see it and b) hardly anyone bothers to report a thread. Just this morning I reported a threadcrapping from one of our most notorious posters in the Games fora.

Having a moderator step into a thread and say "XXX, we don't value inappropriate posts like this here on MR. Your post was nothing more than trying to incite an argument and had no content. Please refrain from doing so again" would do wonders in the fora. As soon as people know they are being watched behaviors will change and they'll start becoming part of the solution, reporting threads, rather than the problem.

Habitual offenders don't need a ban, a simple suspension of the fora would suffice. "XXX, clearly this is a hot topic for you. I'm going to ask you to refrain from posting in these types of threads for the next week to cool off." If they're unwilling to change then revoke their posting privileges to the Games fora for a temporary or permanent basis.

I don't believe that banning or any heavy-handed moderation is required, nor is the Games fora some "hive of scum and villainy" that would take an inordinate amount of time to moderate.

Just some personal attention.

Thank you,

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Why should we treat that forum like a kindergarden class while every other forum handles itself without needing adult supervision. I don't see how it can't police itself first then ask for help, If its only a few members causing the problems why not just weed them out of the system. Since closing the forum probably won't happen then I would suggest a 1 week cool down, it has been brought up before and if it helped the PF, also why not set a 100 post limit on the GF.

p.s. i would start the cool down at 12:00 am Friday morning and let it go a week.

one more thing... why not make it a site wide 100 post minimum for any threads other then mac related, that would cut down on the spam in the community and would force Mac related topics for all new members.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I find it telling that most of the people calling for closing down the Games forum are -- unsurprisingly -- not contributors to that area at all.

I stopped posting in the Games forum when I realised that it was almost impossible to have a discussion.

Why should we treat that forum like a kindergarden class while every other forum handles itself without needing adult supervision. I don't see how it can't police itself first then ask for help, If its only a few members causing the problems why not just weed them out of the system. Since closing the forum probably won't happen then I would suggest a 1 week cool down, it has been brought up before and if it helped the PF, also why not set a 100 post limit on the GF.

p.s. i would start the cool down at 12:00 am Friday morning and let it go a week.

one more thing... why not make it a site wide 100 post minimum for any threads other then mac related, that would cut down on the spam in the community and would force Mac related topics for all new members.

You could hope to get rid of the troublemakers but in the past, almost no one reports them unless they (or their platform) have been insulted. They're mostly emotionally-charged and too busy insulting some other platform or defending their own to take the time to report something. Of course, this happens in a news thread once or twice a year instead of once or twice a week but generally, someone starts to read and reports the problem in news threads.

Maybe, it's time for someone to watch them intensely, as they want, and clean house. :D

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I would have no problem volunteering to clean house, just give me a vacuum and some disinfectant.:cool:

I think rather then a moderator there should be a sherif that will set down the law and start rounding up suspects, kinda like Dirty Harry.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I think rather then a moderator there should be a sherif that will set down the law and start rounding up suspects, kinda like Dirty Harry.

<Harry Callahan>

I know what you're thinking. "Did he ban six posters or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a Quad Core Mac Pro, the most powerful Mac in the world, and would blow your iBook away, you've got to ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

</Harry Callahan>

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
<Harry Callahan>

I know what you're thinking. "Did he ban six posters or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a Quad Core Mac Pro, the most powerful Mac in the world, and would blow your iBook away, you've got to ask yourself a question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

</Harry Callahan>
If you thought the kill rate was high in GTA wait till you meet the "gaming sherif"

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Why should we treat that forum like a kindergarden class while every other forum handles itself without needing adult supervision.

Actually, the moderators *do* provide "adult supervision" to the other forums. I think the point is that the moderators spend more time reading and posting to the other forums, and, because of this, they "clean up" those forums more proactively. Because we rarely see a moderator participating in any games discussion, it's assumed that they don't read those threads as actively, and aren't aware of problems unless they are reported.

I think it's reasonable to suggest that the moderators spend a little more time scanning the games forum to help keep up with what's going on in there.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Actually, the moderators *do* provide "adult supervision" to the other forums. I think the point is that the moderators spend more time reading and posting to the other forums, and, because of this, they "clean up" those forums more proactively. Because we rarely see a moderator participating in any games discussion, it's assumed that they don't read those threads as actively, and aren't aware of problems unless they are reported.

I think it's reasonable to suggest that the moderators spend a little more time scanning the games forum to help keep up with what's going on in there.

To be honest, I don't really think the mods spend all that much time providing "adult supervision" in the regular forums. (Certainly, any mods are welcome to weigh in on this and correct me if I'm wrong.) They just don't have the time to scan through all the threads as their being posted. I'd be willing to bet money that the vast majority of moderation gets done through reports, not through mods scanning on their own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.