Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
I'va had this thought for a while now, but i don't really see why apple doesn't take advantage of it. Apple essentially already has a iPhone 4S in a box that quite a few people already have attached to their TV (minus the fact that it's missing one core). They essentially already run iOS as well.

The platform is already in existence, with one software update they could starting making their way into the casual gaming market. I feel it should completely separate from the iOS app store and have it's own regulations in order to keep game quality high. They could even update the Remote app to be a controller and maybe optimize it a bit.

What is everyone thoughts on this? Certainly it wont compete in the mainstream game market, but it could easily take a chunk of the casual market?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I'va had this thought for a while now, but i don't really see why apple doesn't take advantage of it. Apple essentially already has a iPhone 4S in a box that quite a few people already have attached to their TV (minus the fact that it's missing one core). They essentially already run iOS as well.

The platform is already in existence, with one software update they could starting making their way into the casual gaming market. I feel it should completely separate from the iOS app store and have it's own regulations in order to keep game quality high. They could even update the Remote app to be a controller and maybe optimize it a bit.

What is everyone thoughts on this? Certainly it wont compete in the mainstream game market, but it could easily take a chunk of the casual market?

*facepalm*

Did you even try searching the forums for "gaming on the AppleTV" or "apps on AppleTV"?

I'll give you the cliff notes on all of the threads:
1. There is no app store, and no one knows if Apple will release one
2. There are iOS controllers coming out, but again no one knows if there will be apps on the AppleTV, so it may be iPad/iPhone only
3. yes most people want gaming on the AppleTV
4. No one but Apple knows what their plans are.

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
*facepalm*

Did you even try searching the forums for "gaming on the AppleTV" or "apps on AppleTV"?

I'll give you the cliff notes on all of the threads:
1. There is no app store, and no one knows if Apple will release one
2. There are iOS controllers coming out, but again no one knows if there will be apps on the AppleTV, so it may be iPad/iPhone only
3. yes most people want gaming on the AppleTV
4. No one but Apple knows what their plans are.

I see, i have seen the pictures of the logic tech controller. Not sure why i didn't correlate that (even if apple TV games are uncertain). I must spend too much time in the Mac sections of this site. My apologies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.