Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I prefer to engage with electronics as much as possible. Speaking of which, is there a version of Virtual Valerie for iOS (iPhone) or Mac? I'm thinking it would be nice to turn a woman on from time to time while also being able to turn her off when I want to. I am not interested in any sort of free to play Valerie either although clothing DLC might be alright depending. I'd prefer an inexpensive and fixed up front cost unlike with real life as well as the aforementioned features some of which are not available in real life either. Yep. Valerie would be the ideal girl for me. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've never played Dungeons and Dragons, the board game, and I noticed that a D&D game has started in the Community forum. Frankly I've always dismissed board games on computers, but this has raised my interest in the format and noticed a game at the iOS store called D&D Lords of Waterdeep, that allows you to play AI opponents in a D&I'd game. But I wonder how much is missed playing the computer, after reading all of the player banter going on in the forum game? So has anyone played this iOS game and if so what do you think of it?

http://www.playdekgames.com/games.php?games=low_page.php&title=Lords+of+Waterdeep

id648019675

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
IOS Game: D&D Lords of Waterdeep, described as a Dungeons and Dragons game, no not really if you include adventuring and combat as part of the experience. If I had known what the board game was about, I would have steered clear as an iOS game. This may actually be a decent board game, but it has zero combat, and zero adventuring. Your quests consist of acting as an agent to recruit people for real quests. Once the people slots are filled, the quest to recruit people is complete. So exciting. :rolleyes: That said, it could be fun to sit around and play this on a real board with friends, but can't recommend it as solo iOS game.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/board-games/lords-waterdeep

tumblr_mduryykiPt1qzq3et.jpg

Board game image​

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The FTL (Faster Than Light) game. Anyone playing? I had this on my Mac before my iPad. Without a save function other than current progress, it's brutal. Regardless of progress, sudden death, start over. On my 5th try on easy... Right. :rolleyes:

ftl.png

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The FTL (Faster Than Light) game. Anyone playing? I had this on my Mac before my iPad. Without a save function other than current progress, it's brutal. Regardless of progress, sudden death, start over. On my 5th try on easy... Right. :rolleyes:

ftl.png

Something happened. I've actually made through 3 systems! :D

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I prefer to engage with electronics as much as possible. Speaking of which, is there a version of Virtual Valerie for iOS (iPhone) or Mac? I'm thinking it would be nice to turn a woman on from time to time while also being able to turn her off when I want to. I am not interested in any sort of free to play Valerie either although clothing DLC might be alright depending. I'd prefer an inexpensive and fixed up front cost unlike with real life as well as the aforementioned features some of which are not available in real life either. Yep. Valerie would be the ideal girl for me. :)

EWWW!! HARRY!!

:p

Reactions: Dirtyharry50

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
EWWW!! HARRY!!

Valerie, oh Valerie... sweet virtual girl of my dreams... Valerie...

Sorry!

In other news, this just in! I got a shiny new 9.7" iPad Pro so I guess I will review this thread for some iOS game ideas although I did pick up some already including, Baldur's Gate EE, Bastion, FF1, FF2, Transistor, The Banner Saga, The Bard's Tale, Hearthstone, Geometry Wars, Plague Inc, Radiation Island, World of Tanks Blitz, 7 Mages, The Wolf Among Us and a bunch more to fool with.
[doublepost=1461265447][/doublepost]Okay, I just read through the entire thread and noted quite a lot of posts about the lack of a controller being problematic for a lot of games but no mention of the fact that there are controllers available. Apple sells one on the Apple Store in fact:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HJ162ZM/A/steelseries-nimbus-wireless-gaming-controller

There are of course other competing models out there too. So that is not a problem for those games which benefit from a real controller and setting up the iPad with any of a number of covers which support standing it upright such as the one Apple sells is the only other thing you need. I'm planning on getting this at some point but I've got plenty to keep me occupied until I run up against something where I'm wishing I had a controller, etc. At that point I'll get myself one.

I've got a lot games on my wish list that I consider to have good potential and which I don't feel fall into the "casual" PopCap kind of game category which isn't a put down of such games. The good ones like PvZ or Peggle are a lot of fun. For example:

Oceanhorn
Warbits
Max Payne
Dragon Quest series (up to VIII)
Final Fantasy series (up to IX) including FF Tactics
The Quest Gold (tons of expansions)
The Room series
King of Dragon Pass
Legend of Grimrock
Don't Starve
Crazy Taxi
COD Black OPS Zombies
LEGO: Jurassic World (Other LEGO series titles)
Minecraft Story Mode (Other Telltale series titles)
Broken Age
Grim Fandango
Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy (Aspyr)
KOTOR (Aspyr)
Lumino City
Monument Valley
FTL
Dust: An Elysian Tale
Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing
GTA III, Vice City & San Andreas
Year Walk
Battleheart Legacy
Her Story
This War of Mine
LIMBO
Sid Meier's Starships
XCOM: Enemy Within
Borderlands Legends HD
Chaos Rings III
Halo Spartan Bundle (both games)
Knights of Pen and Paper II
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
The Longest Journey
Syberia & Syberia 2
Infinity Blade Trilogy
Warhammer Quest
Warhammer 40,000 Deathwatch Tyranid Invasion
Assassin's Creed Identity
Call of Duty Strike Team
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Avadon 2: The Corruption
Avernum: Escape from the Pit
Avernum 2: Crystal Souls
Icewind Dale EE
Baldur's Gate II EE

And there is more not to mention more to come of course. In particular I would expect to see the new XCOM release make its way to iOS, Banner Saga 2 probably will, upcoming Spiderweb RPGs will, the expansion for the BG EE games will I'm sure and hopefully Legend of Grimrock 2 will. I think there is a good chance we'll see Aspyr bring us KOTOR 2 as well. They put up a poll checking for interest in that on their site which I voted in and I would encourage anyone else wanting to see it come to iOS to do the same.

The above list and the stuff I bought is primarily sans IAPs but I am not unwilling to try stuff with them and toss it or pay for it depending on whether it is worth the time and money to me. I am a lot more likely to be interested in games that come in one piece and are not gated the way those are though.

I think iOS gaming has quite a lot to offer as a gaming experience unto itself.
[doublepost=1461265767][/doublepost]Last but not least and I have not tried this yet but I am going to experiment with remoting into both OS X and Windows 10 using Splashtop 2 via Wi-fi and playing certain titles like older Spiderweb games that I expect will control well with touch. Splashtop 2 is only 5 bucks on the app store or you can do this with your iPad for free with Teamviewer. It'll be fun to see what I can get away with doing this. Obviously, I am not going to be playing Skyrim on my iPad but there are games that I think may work pretty well this way and allow me to perch in comfort someplace else in the house besides in front of this desk. I'll have to post about that when I get around to it but it might be a while. As you can tell from my first post I've got quite a lot to occupy me for the time being.

chopi123

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2014
Super Qwerty Tank Z is better on Mac! Because you use your real Qwerty keyboard instead the ipad/iphone qwerty screen...

I promise that that game on mac is by far better on Mac.
image.jpeg

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

Sorry!

In other news, this just in! I got a shiny new 9.7" iPad Pro so I guess I will review this thread for some iOS game ideas although I did pick up some already including, Baldur's Gate EE, Bastion, FF1, FF2, Transistor, The Banner Saga, The Bard's Tale, Hearthstone, Geometry Wars, Plague Inc, Radiation Island, World of Tanks Blitz, 7 Mages, The Wolf Among Us and a bunch more to fool with.
[doublepost=1461265447][/doublepost]Okay, I just read through the entire thread and noted quite a lot of posts about the lack of a controller being problematic for a lot of games but no mention of the fact that there are controllers available. Apple sells one on the Apple Store in fact:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HJ162ZM/A/steelseries-nimbus-wireless-gaming-controller

There are of course other competing models out there too. So that is not a problem for those games which benefit from a real controller and setting up the iPad with any of a number of covers which support standing it upright such as the one Apple sells is the only other thing you need. I'm planning on getting this at some point but I've got plenty to keep me occupied until I run up against something where I'm wishing I had a controller, etc. At that point I'll get myself one.

I've got a lot games on my wish list that I consider to have good potential and which I don't feel fall into the "casual" PopCap kind of game category which isn't a put down of such games. The good ones like PvZ or Peggle are a lot of fun. For example:

Oceanhorn
Warbits
Max Payne
The Room series
King of Dragon Pass
Legend of Grimrock
Don't Starve
Crazy Taxi
COD Black OPS Zombies
Broken Age
Grim Fandango
KOTOR (Aspyr)
Lumino City
Monument Valley
FTL
Year Walk
Battleheart Legacy
Her Story
This War of Mine
LIMBO
Sid Meier's Starships
Borderlands Legends HD
Chaos Rings III
The Longest Journey
Syberia & Syberia 2
Infinity Blade Trilogy
Warhammer Quest
Call of Duty Strike Team
Icewind Dale EE
Baldur's Gate II EE

And there is more not to mention more to come of course. In particular I would expect to see the new XCOM release make its way to iOS, Banner Saga 2 probably will, upcoming Spiderweb RPGs will, the expansion for the BG EE games will I'm sure and hopefully Legend of Grimrock 2 will. I think there is a good chance we'll see Aspyr bring us KOTOR 2 as well. They put up a poll checking for interest in that on their site which I voted in and I would encourage anyone else wanting to see it come to iOS to do the same.

The above list and the stuff I bought is primarily sans IAPs but I am not unwilling to try stuff with them and toss it or pay for it depending on whether it is worth the time and money to me. I am a lot more likely to be interested in games that come in one piece and are not gated the way those are though.

[doublepost=1461265767][/doublepost]Last but not least and I have not tried this yet but I am going to experiment with remoting into both OS X and Windows 10 using Splashtop 2 via Wi-fi and playing certain titles like older Spiderweb games that I expect will control well with touch. Splashtop 2 is only 5 bucks on the app store or you can do this with your iPad for free with Teamviewer. It'll be fun to see what I can get away with doing this. Obviously, I am not going to be playing Skyrim on my iPad but there are games that I think may work pretty well this way and allow me to perch in comfort someplace else in the house besides in front of this desk. I'll have to post about that when I get around to it but it might be a while. As you can tell from my first post I've got quite a lot to occupy me for the time being.

So, I know my game mention isn't a graphical powerhouse, nor does it push game storytelling to Citizen Kane levels, but, it does happen to have the distinct advantage of having been made by the same Russian gentleman who made the original Tetris - Alexey Pajitnov. (You'll see some undeniable similarities here, but it's a great homage, and it's free, and I like seeing influential people who may have gotten screwed over back when he made Tetris finally get whatever credit we can give him). You can watch the story behind that here: https://www.twit.tv/shows/new-screen-savers/episodes/49?autostart=false

It's called Lineup Puzzle, and it's on the iOS App Store.

Please to enjoy.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Unlikely, lol.
[doublepost=1461333558][/doublepost]
So, I know my game mention isn't a graphical powerhouse, nor does it push game storytelling to Citizen Kane levels, but, it does happen to have the distinct advantage of having been made by the same Russian gentleman who made the original Tetris - Alexey Pajitnov. (You'll see some undeniable similarities here, but it's a great homage, and it's free, and I like seeing influential people who may have gotten screwed over back when he made Tetris finally get whatever credit we can give him). You can watch the story behind that here: https://www.twit.tv/shows/new-screen-savers/episodes/49?autostart=false

It's called Lineup Puzzle, and it's on the iOS App Store.

Please to enjoy.

I've got Pentrix Free on my iPad, a Tetris knockoff. :)
[doublepost=1461333620][/doublepost]
Super Qwerty Tank Z is better on Mac! Because you use your real Qwerty keyboard instead the ipad/iphone qwerty screen...

I promise that that game on mac is by far better on Mac. View attachment 628008

What do you do with Super Qwerty Tank, shoot at pyramids?

Update: just tried it, free game with IAP (in-app purchases), NO AIMING at the pyramid, just typing in words that float by on screen. Worst of all the coding causes the game to hang/stall even using the simplest of 1990 graphics. Erased from my iPad...

[doublepost=1461334305][/doublepost]

Sorry!

Oceanhorn
Warbits
Max Payne
The Room series
King of Dragon Pass
Legend of Grimrock
Don't Starve
Crazy Taxi
COD Black OPS Zombies
Broken Age
Grim Fandango
KOTOR (Aspyr)
Lumino City
Monument Valley
FTL
Year Walk
Battleheart Legacy
Her Story
This War of Mine
LIMBO
Sid Meier's Starships
Borderlands Legends HD
Chaos Rings III
The Longest Journey
Syberia & Syberia 2
Infinity Blade Trilogy
Warhammer Quest
Call of Duty Strike Team
Icewind Dale EE
Baldur's Gate II EE

I'll check out some of the titles on your list. :)
I played FTL on iOS until telling it to **** off. That would be excellent, other than there is no freak'n easy mode ( they lie) and its hardcore, (die-start from beginning). Other than that, FTL would have my vote for best IOS game, Right now, my vote goes to PLants vs Zombies. World of Tanks is too clumsy on iOS. After shelling out $7 for Lords of Waterdeep, I've been playing it occasionally, although It's a D&D game without any quests. :p

Last edited:

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Well the thing with FTL is that the game is a rogue-like by design so a large part of it is supposed to be the challenge of seeing how far you can get in any given run and that is why no saving. I can appreciate your frustration with this kind of game though. They are most certainly not for everybody. I have a limited tolerance for this myself and very often will the moment I see "rogue-like" in a game's description or tags on the Steam store pages, just pass it right by. I've seen and read enough about FTL to think I'll have some fun giving it a go. However, I am going into it with the expectation that I will likely be doing a lot of runs before hitting the end if ever. Additionally, for the money I don't care if I get to have some fun trying and ultimately decide to bail. Some of these to me look like they are worth trying but that of course is purely a subjective thing. I tried Binding of Issac which I imagine you are familiar with and I was terrible at it and bailed early. I do want to reinstall that though and give it another shot. I don't think I gave it a fair chance.

In any event while playing one of these once in a while might be fun for me I cannot imagine it ever becoming anything close to a favorite genre of mine.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Well the thing with FTL is that the game is a rogue-like by design so a large part of it is supposed to be the challenge of seeing how far you can get in any given run and that is why no saving. I can appreciate your frustration with this kind of game though. They are most certainly not for everybody. I have a limited tolerance for this myself and very often will the moment I see "rogue-like" in a game's description or tags on the Steam store pages, just pass it right by. I've seen and read enough about FTL to think I'll have some fun giving it a go. However, I am going into it with the expectation that I will likely be doing a lot of runs before hitting the end if ever. Additionally, for the money I don't care if I get to have some fun trying and ultimately decide to bail. Some of these to me look like they are worth trying but that of course is purely a subjective thing. I tried Binding of Issac which I imagine you are familiar with and I was terrible at it and bailed early. I do want to reinstall that though and give it another shot. I don't think I gave it a fair chance.

In any event while playing one of these once in a while might be fun for me I cannot imagine it ever becoming anything close to a favorite genre of mine.

There is a roll of the dice that will kill you in any FTL game. Get a nice ship, all fitted out with great stuff, and poof, gone, no soup for you! There have been a couple of times where I've been on the verge of destruction and it could be luck or it could be the game calculating to give me a break. That was fun. What I don't see is fighting my way over and over, maybe a 100 times to get to the end boss, and instead of multiple tries at the boss, it's smacked back to the beginning. Nope, ain't gonna submit. I'm not good enough. :p

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Yeah, some people seem to be really good at games of this kind, lucky breaks or no and don't have nearly the problem getting to successful runs that others do although I think in all cases it is safe to say one has to work for it, even if they are good at these. Otherwise, I'm sure the game would be criticized for being too easy to beat. I've never heard that about FTL or Binding of Issac and of the course the king of abuse, Super Meaty. Actually, I believe the Meatboy does save progress but I just thought of it here for its ruthless brutality. Yes, the mistakes there are always your own but the challenge is mighty tough.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah, some people seem to be really good at games of this kind, lucky breaks or no and don't have nearly the problem getting to successful runs that others do although I think in all cases it is safe to say one has to work for it, even if they are good at these. Otherwise, I'm sure the game would be criticized for being too easy to beat. I've never heard that about FTL or Binding of Issac and of the course the king of abuse, Super Meaty. Actually, I believe the Meatboy does save progress but I just thought of it here for its ruthless brutality. Yes, the mistakes there are always your own but the challenge is mighty tough.

For FTL, the obvious answer is to either not offer an easy option which is completely misleading, along with a pre-purchase warning, or better yet offer REAL easy and hardcore options. People will play at whatever level they enjoy. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This excellent review of iOS games was posted in the AppleTV forum. Some could be a viable alternative to MacPC gaming:

I liked the review:

Anyone playing Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle on your iOS/Android device? If so what do you think?
I've found links saying this can be played on Mac and PC.

maxresdefault.jpg
I'm finding it interesting so far, but wonder how it holds up long term or if it's jut a grind.

Account integrity-
Apparently there is no log in. Account data is automatically assigned to the device it's installed on and game progress is tied to a specific device, although there are provisions to transfer the account and progress to another device, I assume as long as you record the automatically generated account number. That's found under Help>Contact us.

I can't believe there is no one in this forum playing this game, except me. :p:D

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I recently checked out Guns of Glory on iOS. Nice graphics, but appears to be a never ending grind. Build, upgrade, research, fight, reward, rinse, wash, repeat. Anyone playing this who would agree?

https://guns-of-glory.en.uptodown.com/android

36681191-8027-48B4-A37B-811BFA8BA465.jpeg
Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle on your iOS/Android device? If so what do you think?

I've found links saying this can be played on Mac and PC.
I'm finding it interesting so far, but wonder how it holds up long term or if it's jut a grind.

Just a mind numbing grind. It and Pokémon Go are retired.

It’s tough to find iOS games with any real depth. When faced with only iOS as an option, on occasion I am playing ZG Survival which is an improvement over the original Zombie Gunship and also playing TerraBattle 2 on occasion.

7CCD8B08-4C34-4912-985B-EEE00FC05D8E.jpeg
ZG Survival

CEA30DF7-5CF5-4DE3-B5E4-9C2C0A15BEC2.jpeg
TB2

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Here is a decent Mac/PC/iOS RTS game called RAIL Nation. It’s more of a part time game, because you end up waiting to make enough money for the next move. More fun when you play as part of an outfit. it runs on the server when you are not playing and your team mates can collect rewards for you, that go to you when you are offline. It’s reminiscing of Railroad Tycoon, except you are more limited, you create routes, but don’t lay them out on the terrain, and competition periods last 14 days I think, and then you start over, but maintain your xp progress.

924ADB3F-0F11-4E27-A0B8-EFA8CD514EFD.jpeg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Here is a decent Mac/PC/iOS RTS game called RAIL Nation. It’s more of a part time game, because you end up waiting to make enough money for the next move. More fun when you play as part of an outfit. it runs on the server when you are not playing and your team mates can collect rewards for you, that go to you when you are offline. It’s reminiscing of Railroad Tycoon, except you are more limited, you create routes, but don’t lay them out on the terrain, and competition periods last 14 days I think, and then you start over, but maintain your xp progress.

This is turning out to be a fun, although casual game, make some decisions and then let it go for a while. You definitely can’t sit and play it for stretches, because there is not that much you can do in any long period of time. It’s designed to run, when you are not attending g it, and it’s definitely better to be in a guild, centered in an individual city working towards common goals.

Some may not like the gold aspect. Although the game does give you an advantage (faster research and upgrading two buildings at once) with a plus account and newcomers get a week with it included. There are opportunities to get gold from the game without paying for it.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Is there a big difference in playing something like fortnight on a pc vs a mac. What about other games, is a pc still much better than a mac for gaming?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Is there a big difference in playing something like fortnight on a pc vs a mac. What about other games, is a pc still much better than a mac for gaming?

So, as with anything, it depends on the age of your computer, your expectations and how you like to play.

If you're looking to be a professional Fortnite player (or you're just super-competitive), the little hitches here and there in the macOS version will probably frustrate you, especially when trying to build quickly.

What Mac do you have, and how old is it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac'nCheese

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
So, as with anything, it depends on the age of your computer, your expectations and how you like to play.

If you're looking to be a professional Fortnite player (or you're just super-competitive), the little hitches here and there in the macOS version will probably frustrate you, especially when trying to build quickly.

What Mac do you have, and how old is it?
I have a very basic imac that I think is just over a year old. It was the first model to have USB C ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.