Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I have a very basic imac that I think is just over a year old. It was the first model to have USB C ports.

The good thing is that both Apple and Epic are working hard to improve metal-based games, and the few hours I've been able to play Season 6 on Mojave, but it's tentatively looking better than High Sierra did.

Do you have Fortnite on your Mac?

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
The good thing is that both Apple and Epic are working hard to improve metal-based games, and the few hours I've been able to play Season 6 on Mojave, but it's tentatively looking better than High Sierra did.

Do you have Fortnite on your Mac?
Yes but my son always complains that it freezes on him.

ursulahx

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2018
Re: Fortnite.

I just got into the Nvidia GeForce beta (after a nine-month wait!) and it's been worth it. Game runs better than ever - I can put all settings on 'epic' and get 140fps, much more than I experienced running it natively. Recommended (does require a fast, wired internet, though).

I haven't updated to Mojave yet, but when I do I'll see if there's been any noticeable improvement when I run it natively.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just discovered 8 Ball Pool by Miniclip. For an iOS game, it’s fun, relatively easy with little guidelines that shows you were your ball will go, and competitive as you play other players.
https://support.miniclip.com/hc/en-us/categories/115002380548-8-Ball-Pool-

F539F156-D09B-48F9-A08E-A9FDECC53310.jpeg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just discovered 8 Ball Pool by Miniclip. For an iOS game, it’s fun, relatively easy with little guidelines that shows you were your ball will go, and competitive as you play other players.
https://support.miniclip.com/hc/en-us/categories/115002380548-8-Ball-Pool-

I’ve cooled on 8 Ball Pool, not because it’s not good, but because it’s not enough to sustain me. ;)
Right now I’m playing World of Warships, X4 Foundations, and half heartedly dabbling with Atlas on my PC.

Is there any iOS game that you feel is just stellar? I’d like to hear about it.

I was playing a Japanese RPG, but the publisher stopped supporting it in N.America (can’t remember the name :oops:) and besides very occasionally I’m cranking up Plants Vs Zombies, Zombie Gunship, Plague Inc, Othello, and Minecraft on my iPad.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Is there any iOS game that you feel is just stellar? I’d like to hear about it.

I’ve been playing Arcane Quest Legends, but it is really just mediocre but fun enough. Haven’t started Tacticool but hear it is fun.

Just petered out early in Hordes of the Underdark playing NWN Diamond on Android ... really good port, can’t wait for it to hit iOS. I set it aside figuring it would arrive pretty soon.

Reactions: jkcerda and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve been playing Arcane Quest Legends, but it is really just mediocre but fun enough. Haven’t started Tacticool but hear it is fun.

Just petered out early in Hordes of the Underdark playing NWN Diamond on Android ... really good port, can’t wait for it to hit iOS. I set it aside figuring it would arrive pretty soon.
Looking at AQL, and saw Grimvalor that looks interesting. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’m traveling for the next week with just my iPad. 4 years later since the last post in this thread. Are there any worthy iOS games out there? :)

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I’m traveling for the next week with just my iPad. 4 years later since the last post in this thread. Are there any worthy iOS games out there? :)
Agree on Civ 6, and also NWN has arrived in full and is excellent. Railroads just arrived, was great on PC and I plan to buy as well

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

Damn the necromancy in this thread

Anyway:

• Roller Coaster Tycoon Classic
  • Bloons TD 6
  • Stardew Valley
  • Spongebob Squarepants Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated
  • Plague Inc
  • Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
  • Terraria
  • Papers Please
  • The Papa's games like Papa's Pizzeria, Papa's Burgeria, Papa's Wingeria, and more. (He cannot be stopped.)
    maxresdefault.jpg

• Don't Starve
  • Divinity Original Sin 2
  • Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
  • There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension
  • XCOM 2
  • FTL: Faster Than Light
  • The World Ends With You
  • Darkest Dungeon: Tablet Edition (You know if you wanna get so tilted you throw your iPad across the room lmao)
  • Bully: Anniversary Edition
  • The various Final Fantasy games and Chrono Trigger
  • Dragon Quest III
  • Octodad: Dadliest Catch
  • Civ 6
  • Tropico
  • Danganronpa
  • The entire Ace Attorney series (aside from The Great Ace Attorney) is on iPadOS
  • Street Fighter 4 CE
  • Monster Hunter Stories
  • Mega Man X
  • Crazy Taxi Classic
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • The Sonic games
  • Minecraft
That's what I got on the top of my head. It's amazing what games are available on iOS when you actually look for paid software and not freemium microtransaction riddled hell

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Damn the necromancy in this thread

Anyway:

• Roller Coaster Tycoon Classic
  • Bloons TD 6
  • Stardew Valley
  • Spongebob Squarepants Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated
  • Plague Inc
  • Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
  • Terraria
  • Papers Please
  • The Papa's games like Papa's Pizzeria, Papa's Burgeria, Papa's Wingeria, and more. (He cannot be stopped.)
    maxresdefault.jpg

• Don't Starve
  • Divinity Original Sin 2
  • Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
  • There Is No Game: Wrong Dimension
  • XCOM 2
  • FTL: Faster Than Light
  • The World Ends With You
  • Darkest Dungeon: Tablet Edition (You know if you wanna get so tilted you throw your iPad across the room lmao)
  • Bully: Anniversary Edition
  • The various Final Fantasy games and Chrono Trigger
  • Dragon Quest III
  • Octodad: Dadliest Catch
  • Civ 6
  • Tropico
  • Danganronpa
  • The entire Ace Attorney series (aside from The Great Ace Attorney) is on iPadOS
  • Street Fighter 4 CE
  • Monster Hunter Stories
  • Mega Man X
  • Crazy Taxi Classic
  • Streets of Rage 4
  • The Sonic games
  • Minecraft
That's what I got on the top of my head. It's amazing what games are available on iOS when you actually look for paid software and not freemium microtransaction riddled hell
Relax about necromancy, it’s a fact of forum life, in this case the topic is still reverent, and I have played a few games on your list, plus you gave me some new ideas to try out! Thanks! :D

Reactions: txa1265

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Relax about necromancy, it’s a fact of forum life, in this case the topic is still reverent, and I have played a few games on your list, plus you gave me some new ideas to try out! Thanks! :D
This thread was started pre Steam Deck (or Asus Ally), have you thought about getting one of those to replace the PC?

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
This thread was started pre Steam Deck (or Asus Ally), have you thought about getting one of those to replace the PC?
I've posted on other threads, and absolutely adore my Steam Deck! (I also have a Switch)

I'm doing a lot of work travel for projects this year (to another company site), and carry my iPad Pro and Steam Deck mostly. I like lots of games on the iPad Pro (Civ VI & NWN as mentioned, also Divinity Original Sin 2 and Final Fantasy 6 as someone else mentioned) ... but the Steam Deck allows me to play SO many games and is nicely portable (currently replaying Risen 2 first time since 2012 release, after playing Gothic 1 & 2 and Risen 1).

Reactions: bousozoku and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I've posted on other threads, and absolutely adore my Steam Deck! (I also have a Switch)

I'm doing a lot of work travel for projects this year (to another company site), and carry my iPad Pro and Steam Deck mostly. I like lots of games on the iPad Pro (Civ VI & NWN as mentioned, also Divinity Original Sin 2 and Final Fantasy 6 as someone else mentioned) ... but the Steam Deck allows me to play SO many games and is nicely portable (currently replaying Risen 2 first time since 2012 release, after playing Gothic 1 & 2 and Risen 1).
Actually I am considering this (Steam Deck) but it would only be for situations where I don’t have my PC, which these days is just not that often. My biggest hesitation is playing on a screen smaller than my iPad.

There's no rules in posting to an old thread, particularly if someone has a relevant question or point

What kind of games do you think you'll enjoy on the iPad?
I discovered Modern Warships which as someone who is actively playing World of Warships (PC) this is something that looks interesting (played 3 battles) but it would never replace WoWS.

IOS games that I have played with some longevity are:
  • Plants vs Zombies- possibly one of the best iOS games.
  • Plague Incorporated
  • Faster Than Light
  • Fallout Shelter
  • Angery Birds
  • Minecraft
  • Pokemon Go- a bout with insanity… ;)
  • Dragon Ball Z
  • 8 Ball Pool
  • others, names momentarily elude me.
An Rpg with the right graphics, open world sandbox, not turn based,might be a lot of fun. I have found that combat in iOS games is either turn based or dumbed down a lot. A kart game remincient to Mario Karts 64, might be appealing. :)

Reactions: maflynn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Speaking of RPGs, anyone play the Elder Scrolls Blades game on iOS? That looks interesting, have started a download.

3A97D07E-3746-42BC-A995-AD9B5D6D4465.jpeg

salamanderjuice

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2020
I tried it briefly on Nintendo Switch when it was released and was not impressed. Has a lot of same problems mobile games have in general, loads of grind and microtransactions. Maybe if I didn't already have Skyrim on Switch I would have given it more of a go.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I have been playing Divinity Original Sin 2 on my iPad Pro 12.9" 5th gen, and it runs great. 👍
I have played several hours in the Reaper's Coast map. No issues at all.

I just bought the game for my Mac Pro 7.1 on GoG. With Monterey installed.
The game is so buggy, I doubt I will continue try to play it on the Mac Pro. 💩

In Troubled Waters, the dead magisters were alive when I went back down in the ship, to try to save as many as possible. I also had other glitches, after reloading a save when my character died.
After wiping save files and replaying it several times, I managed to get to Fort Joy.
I saved several times during my gameplay. Later when I wanted to continue, and loaded the game again. Some npcs were not giving me an option to talk to them. So I reloaded from some older saves.
Now the map is dark, except for the area around my party. Even if I had explored parts of the map before.

The game is unplayable in this state, and I have no idea what could fix the bugs.
My mac's specs are:
Xeon 16-core
192GB ECC RAM
Radeon Vega II

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I have been playing Divinity Original Sin 2 on my iPad Pro 12.9" 5th gen, and it runs great. 👍
I have played several hours in the Reaper's Coast map. No issues at all.

I just bought the game for my Mac Pro 7.1 on GoG. With Monterey installed.
The game is so buggy, I doubt I will continue try to play it on the Mac Pro. 💩

In Troubled Waters, the dead magisters were alive when I went back down in the ship, to try to save as many as possible. I also had other glitches, after reloading a save when my character died.
After wiping save files and replaying it several times, I managed to get to Fort Joy.
I saved several times during my gameplay. Later when I wanted to continue, and loaded the game again. Some npcs were not giving me an option to talk to them. So I reloaded from some older saves.
Now the map is dark, except for the area around my party. Even if I had explored parts of the map before.

The game is unplayable in this state, and I have no idea what could fix the bugs.
My mac's specs are:
Xeon 16-core
192GB ECC RAM
Radeon Vega II
I honestly have no clue - but you ARE playing on old hardware and a 2+ years / versions old OS. I've played it on my M1 Macbook Air with absolutely no issues (same as M1 iPad Pro 11")

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve started and stopped Minecraft several time on iOS, setting it aside because of too small a screen. But this last time, it seems to be working for me, although I still begrudge that it has no ramps or complex vortex shapes. :)

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I honestly have no clue - but you ARE playing on old hardware and a 2+ years / versions old OS. I've played it on my M1 Macbook Air with absolutely no issues (same as M1 iPad Pro 11")
It is older hardware, yes. But the game is also older.
I searched on forums, and saw similar issues in 2019. I guess it was never fully patched on Intel macs.

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 18.21.00.png

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
It is older hardware, yes. But the game is also older.
I searched on forums, and saw similar issues in 2019. I guess it was never fully patched on Intel macs.
I notice your OS is Monterey and the game details you pasted in was Ventura (10.13+). Since so much of the Mac base has moved to Apple Silicon I get that DOS2 might not be getting Intel updates, but wondering if the OS version might also have an impact?

Reactions: Regulus67 and Huntn

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I notice your OS is Monterey and the game details you pasted in was Ventura (10.13+). Since so much of the Mac base has moved to Apple Silicon I get that DOS2 might not be getting Intel updates, but wondering if the OS version might also have an impact?
Oh, you are right. I had not noticed that. Could very well be why I am having so many bugs.
In any case, I do not wish to update to a newer MacOS.
I have Windows 10 running on a dedicated SSD, on the Mac Pro.
So I will just run the game in Windows instead.
But thank you for the notification 👍 And other mac owners will probably also appreciate that

Reactions: Huntn and txa1265
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.