Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JnPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2017
I received my iPhone X and all of a sudden I now have issues with people complaining I sound far away or garbled intermittently. I contacted Apple and went thru every step they suggested. They replaced my brand new phone with another. Then I contacted sprint. The tech at the store tells me to go back to my 6 bc sprint doesn’t have compatibility with the new phone. Of course I had to trade my 6 in to get any discounts on this phone so that isn’t a viable option at this point. I leave the sprint store and contact the phone support. They inform me it’s apple and not them. She resets my phone (after I already factory rebooted it two times) and tells me it’s from the snow we just received. I explain it’s been 60 degrees for the three weeks prior to yesterday and I still had the issue. I told her what the sprint tech told me. She said that was preposterous. Excellent. So I still have no answer and an 1100 dollar paper weight. She tried to blame it on the carrier the people I was speaking to were using. Everyone was using different carries tho...AT&T, Verizon, and T-mobile. I also tested their theory by having a family member call me from their house line. No luck. I still go in and out. Please tell me someone else has had this issue bc I’m aggravated with no answers. The only small blessing is the staff at Apple is much more pleasant then the people at sprint.

Last edited:

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Today for the first time I developed call quality issues that sound like your problem.

It is, however, a T-Mobile iPhone X.

The problem has been going on all day.

Reactions: JnPC

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My husband and I have both had that problem on AT&T with iPhone 7 Pluses that have Qualcomm modems. I don’t know what to tell you. My husband found it was better using his AirPods to make calls. I simply used my Samsung phones or HTC 10 phone to make calls. We don’t seem to have any issues, yet, on iPhone X on AT&T with intel modems.

Are you using a case? I have found some cases do cause the kinds of problems you are having. I found out from reading Amazon reviews of different phone cases and from owning such cases.

JnPC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2017
My husband and I have both had that problem on AT&T with iPhone 7 Pluses that have Qualcomm modems. I don’t know what to tell you. My husband found it was better using his AirPods to make calls. I simply used my Samsung phones or HTC 10 phone to make calls. We don’t seem to have any issues, yet, on iPhone X on AT&T with intel modems.

Are you using a case? I have found some cases do cause the kinds of problems you are having. I found out from reading Amazon reviews of different phone cases and from owning such cases.
Yes. I’m using a case. I tried taking it off. Using FaceTime (which surprisingly Seems to be the one way the person on the other end didn’t have an issue hearing me), turning the LTE off, turning WiFi off, using headphones, using headphones while on FaceTime (all these at the suggestion of Apple). So nothing has solved the trick.
[doublepost=1513071557][/doublepost]

It’s funny you mention you had that problem with the 7 bc when I talk to a friend of mine on the phone this happens on my end (even when I had my 6 it sounded like that). Where I can’t hear her, but all this time I thought she was pushing the phone too close to her face or using speaker so I couldn’t hear her well. Most of the time she sounds garbled. I’m thoroughly disappointed. I love this phone but it’s a waste if I can’t call from it and I know sprint isn’t going to help me with that. They could care less.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yes. I’m using a case. I tried taking it off. Using FaceTime (which surprisingly Seems to be the one way the person on the other end didn’t have an issue hearing me), turning the LTE off, turning WiFi off, using headphones, using headphones while on FaceTime (all these at the suggestion of Apple). So nothing has solved the trick.
[doublepost=1513071557][/doublepost]
It’s funny you mention you had that problem with the 7 bc when I talk to a friend of mine on the phone this happens on my end (even when I had my 6 it sounded like that). Where I can’t hear her, but all this time I thought she was pushing the phone too close to her face or using speaker so I couldn’t hear her well. Most of the time she sounds garbled. I’m thoroughly disappointed. I love this phone but it’s a waste if I can’t call from it and I know sprint isn’t going to help me with that. They could care less.
Whenever my daughter’s former teacher would call me from her iPhone 6, (and I was on my 7Plus) she would be horribly garbled. We messed up so many meetings and arrangements because we were both constantly mis-hearing each other. Apple is terrible at providing a good phone experience and indeed, Apple indicted themselves by their own comments when speaking against Qualcomm, saying modems aren’t a priority for them because most people don’t use our phones as phones anymore. This is absolutely absurd.

The most flawless phone experience I’ve had so far has been with an HTC 10. Callers could hear me crystal clear and I could hear them perfectly as well even over low bars of connection.

However I can’t recommend anyone switch to Android because the 2017 samples of Android phones I’ve tried so far have had issues with crackling and popping noises and some muffling of speech. My HTC 10 didn’t have any water resistance. I wonder if instituting more stringent standards of water resistance has anything to do with call quality issues. It’s a mystery and a frustration for me, too, and I’m sorry I can’t advise you. It is something I love with on my 7 Plus. My X so far has been good on AT&T. Not great, but much better than what I got on my 7 Plus.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
However I can’t recommend anyone switch to Android because the 2017 samples of Android phones I’ve tried so far have had issues with crackling and popping noises and some muffling of speech.

If it matters to anybody, I also have an LG V30 on the same carrier, and it makes perfect voice calls and has better waterproofing than the iPhone X.

The ecosystem keeps me using the iPhone...but there's no denying that for data throughput *and* voice calls, the LG V30 is simply better.

Can't help the truth...and that's the truth.
[doublepost=1513089903][/doublepost]
...saying modems aren’t a priority for them because most people don’t use our phones as phones anymore. This is absolutely absurd.

Yes, it is absurd.

You might not make many phone calls any longer, but when you do have to make a phone call it might be mission critical, a very important issue requiring voice, or it could be an actual emergency communication.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
If it matters to anybody, I also have an LG V30 on the same carrier, and it makes perfect voice calls and has better waterproofing than the iPhone X.

The ecosystem keeps me using the iPhone...but there's no denying that for data throughput *and* voice calls, the LG V30 is simply better.

Can't help the truth...and that's the truth.
One of my forum friends said her LG V30 solved her crappy iPhone problems. It sounds like a really excellent phone. Oh well at least you helped us rule out waterproofing as a factor.

I’m actually happy with my X on AT&T but I feel bad for @JnPC because I know what it’s like. I was fortunate in that in 2016 I was able to afford a second line for Android and have a phone that worked while my 7 Plus struggled to give me call quality. I dearly loved my 7 Plus overall, but for that problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.