Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
aquajet said:
I don't think he is. At least, I hope not. It's hardly that simple. Doubling the cost of gasoline isn't without consequences. And likely dire at that.
Airplanes and trucks stop moving, bringing the US's next day air fetish to a grinding halt.

Since the railroads are a disaster, they would crumble with the increased workload, bringing the economy to a triple headed halt.

A lot of stuff has shifted to railroad already and is causing problems right now, but that infrastruction needs massive repairs and expansion to cut the US reliance of diesel currently used for rapid deliveries.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
the other deal with ethanol is that it is an inefficient expensive process. the government plans to make 15% of regular gasolene ethanol in order to control prices, which is too small to make a difference. Ethanol uses fossil fuels to be produced, so it basically changes nothing. And while it decreases certain emissions compared to gasolene, it emits other chemicals in higher amounts than gasolene. My thought, it is too late. Ethanol is just what American auto makers are using as a last ditch effort to sell more SUVs, and attempt to control gas prices. We need to bring back the electric car, or start mass producing cars that run on liquid hydrogen.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
steamboat26 said:
We need to bring back the electric car, or start mass producing cars that run on liquid hydrogen.

I think so too, but I also see Ethanol as a good start towards moving away from total dependence on oil. :eek: :)

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
dmw007 said:
I think so too, but I also see Ethanol as a good start towards moving away from total dependence on oil. :eek: :)
Tractors/Combines/Semis use oil to plant, spray, harvest, and transport the corn. How is that lowering our dependence? :confused:

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
How much do you want to bet that 90% of the people waiting hours in line for gas have some expired rebates that they never bothered to reedem :p

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
ham_man said:
Tractors/Combines/Semis use oil to plant, spray, harvest, and transport the corn. How is that lowering our dependence? :confused:
Increases the nitrates released for that 420 gallons of ethanol from corn and 60 gallons of biodiesel per acre farmed, and each of those acres is also taken out of the food chain.

Decreases out dependence on oil, and increases our dependence on food and nitrate imports.

(hopefully that was for a single crop per acre)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.