Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2003
I have just signed up for the 60 day .Mac trial, with a view to purchasing. One of the main reasons for this is that I am interested in utilising the iChat software to send text messages and/or make calls to mobiles. Unfortunately though, it is not proving to be as easy to come by information about how to do this as I had hoped, so I am hoping some generous forumistas might share their knowledge and experiences.

In particular, I would like to know:

1. Is there a reliable service provider for SMS/calls via .Mac in the UK?
2. Is subscription or pay as you go service better?
3. Can I only send SMS/calls to others with a Mac, or a .Mac account?

Any advice on these questions, or general hints and tips on how to get the most from .Mac would be welcome. Cheers

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Stan said:
I have just signed up for the 60 day .Mac trial, with a view to purchasing. One of the main reasons for this is that I am interested in utilising the iChat software to send text messages and/or make calls to mobiles. Unfortunately though, it is not proving to be as easy to come by information about how to do this as I had hoped, so I am hoping some generous forumistas might share their knowledge and experiences.

In particular, I would like to know:

1. Is there a reliable service provider for SMS/calls via .Mac in the UK?
2. Is subscription or pay as you go service better?
3. Can I only send SMS/calls to others with a Mac, or a .Mac account?

Any advice on these questions, or general hints and tips on how to get the most from .Mac would be welcome. Cheers

I don't think .Mac offers this. And you don't need a .Mac account to use iChat. You can use a free AIM account.

Applespider

macrumors G4
iChat is an instant messaging service; it doesn't offer SMS or mobile phone calls through it. Are you perhaps thinking of Skype which allows calls from a computer to a normal telephone number?

There's a widget for Tiger that apparently allows you to send international SMS for $0.10 but I haven't tried it. If you have an existing Bluetooth mobile, you can send and receive SMS on your Mac through the Bluetooth connection but it costs the same as a text from your mobile would.

.Mac is primarily useful for being a quick, easy way to get files from your iApps online, having a non-ISP bound email address, and useful synching of files/mail/calendars across multiple Macs. Has nothing to do with telephony in any shape or form

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.