Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
Hi guys
at my wits end
Try now for days to get a jailbreak on my 3gs without luck.
I run redsn0w_mac_0.9.10b6 to jailbreak my phone 3gs runing on 5.1? (updated by iTunes in restore) I try to create custom ipsw NO_BB_iPhone2,1_5.1_9B176_Restore.ipsw but than i get "Custom IPSW creation failed General error."
Where is the fault??:confused::confused::confused:

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
You should be using the newest version of Redsn0w for MacOS

redsn0w 0.9.10b6b
I did use10b6 the isigned ipsw is NO_BB_iPhone2,1_5.1_9b176_Retsore.ipsw.
It does not except this ipsw
I followed the http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=20512 to the letter
still :mad::mad: It will stuck at general error.
I can"t activate the phone either. If i use wifi it says could not activate if i use iTunes it asks for sim card( dont have original sim!!

HEEEEEEEELP:confused::confused::confused:
O by the way thanks for all the help so far in the other threads. If you should have a solution please point me to a step by step place I'm only user, blond and male (-:
Again txs guys

Last edited:

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
Redsnow will never accept or recognize a "No_BB" custom firmware file.
You need to point it to the stock .ipsw file to do go on with the rest. That's why you're getting an error.
Hi Applejuiced
I found in most threads that i must NOT use the standart apple firmware but will try to do so.
If u go to the iclarified page it says under step 8
"CUSTOM IPSW CREATED
BE VERY CARFULL TO NOT ACCIDENTLY USE THE STOCK IPSW!
use only NO_BB......
under step 18 it says select IPSW from PWNAGE folder
I seem not to be able to create that folder
I downloded the file but cant create the folder so when I click restore I GUESS? it restores with original apple software. It also does not allow me to choose anything manually. (went to libraray and put" NO_BB..' file into the iphone software update folder????
So i did the whole thing again and I'm back at the beginning.
I still have the apple logo and can't activate the phone.
This is really frustrating for me, pls dont give up on me and be patient (-:

Last edited:

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
as i said i'm blond. Did not hold down option key at first!
Did it again, could select NO_BB_.. file
File was loaded but still the same result if i Try to jailbreak the phone afterwards it tells me no identifying data fetched!!!!
What now??????:mad::confused:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
as i said i'm blond. Did not hold down option key at first!
Did it again, could select NO_BB_.. file
File was loaded but still the same result if i Try to jailbreak the phone afterwards it tells me no identifying data fetched!!!!
What now??????:mad::confused:

Did you put the iPhone in pwned dfu before you try to restore?
When you use redsnow you point redsnow to the official firmware. Not the no-bb custom you created.
When you restore with iTunes you select with alt the custom no bb ipsw and restore to that.
I don't know if you're getting it all. One wrong or forgotten step and it won't work.

guido.coza

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
South Africa
Did you put the iPhone in pwned dfu before you try to restore?
When you use redsnow you point redsnow to the official firmware. Not the no-bb custom you created.
When you restore with iTunes you select with alt the custom no bb ipsw and restore to that.
I don't know if you're getting it all. One wrong or forgotten step and it won't work.
Hi Again
Yes these r the steps i took. I at ones forgot to select with "alt" but than did the whole prosses over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.