Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
England
Mail opens with the front message selected. It has a WMV file in it. I realized this was what was messing up the other things, but now I have 2.0.1, surely all should be good? Whats message preview? I don't think I do..

Thanks

Applespider

macrumors G4
XIII said:
I've got my VM to under what my HD space is (quitting apps, I will clear more space when I can), but Mail is STILL crashing.

You've restarted since you've done all this clearing and closing? If not, try that and open Mail before you do anything else. If you're really paranoid, try dumping your Preferences beforehand.

One more thing to suggest. Are you running the httpmail plug-in? For some reason, after 10.4.4, my Mail went a little loopy until I took that out of the Bundle Mailbox.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
England
I'll restart shortly, and see what I get.

I don't have that httpMail thing.. I've never heard of it. :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
XIII said:
Whats message preview? I don't think I do..
Is the content of the message showing in the main Mail window once the message is selected (I think this is default), or do you have to open the message (e.g. by double clicking it) to see its content...?

XIII

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
England
Showing in the main window. So I get this small preview of the WMV file, and then it crashes. :p

I need a restart. Too many apps to close!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Can I recommend getting an external hard drive? I still think your problems are stemming form the lack of space issue and a spot to keep your media files and some other random data would be nice. It's a great source of back up plus it gives you the opportunity to reinstall the OS easily if necessary. :)

XIII

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
England
yellow said:
Any particular reason for this? It's not needed...

Aren't I handsome?

Automated app does it for me. Why not?

mad jew - you are too right. :) I have so much stuff I could put on it - and need to put on it. I just need to find the money to get one. I will make it a high priority - it seems to be having serious issues (OS X) when I don't have the space.

Speaking of serious issues - after the restart Mail is still screwed. As soon as I open it, it opens on this WM file, and then crashes. I can't figure out what I can do. Weather widget is still crashing away happily too. Also, iTunes is still skipping at the starts of songs. My VM is still slightly higher than the free space I have, so I hope clearing more and more space will cure these.. :confused:

My most used app (Safari) is stable now, so its not as bad as it was. Thanks so far. :) Lets hope more space clearing does the trick for the rest..

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
XIII said:
Speaking of serious issues - after the restart Mail is still screwed. As soon as I open it, it opens on this WM file, and then crashes. I can't figure out what I can do. Weather widget is still crashing away happily too. Also, iTunes is still skipping at the starts of songs. My VM is still slightly higher than the free space I have, so I hope clearing more and more space will cure these.. :confused:
Here's one thing you could try:

1) Disable preview in Mail (drag the narrow horisontal separator between the messages and the display area all the way down - or just double-click it). This should allow you to mark the message in question with out Mail crashing (because now the message isn't loading), and you may continue with 2 and 3 and even 4 if you have to... ;)

2) Choose File -> Save Attechments... and save the WMV file to an appropiate place. Then you can watch it with QT player later.

3) Delete the message.

4) Enable preview in Mail again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.