Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superkrups20056

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
The generic PnP monitor driver in the device manager keeps reenabling/reinstalling itself whenever I restart Windows 10 on my early 2011 MBP (Boot Camp). I want to leave it disabled so the brightness controls on the keyboard work.

I do not want to disable automatic driver update checking by Windows 10. I know that if I turn off automatic driver installation via device installation settings and enabling "Prevent installation of other devices not described by other policy settings" will keep the "Generic PnP Monitor" driver uninstalled, and this is certainly one solution that works, but disabling these features interferes with the installation of other devices (one example is the TAP driver for the Private Internet Access Windows client).

There is no available apple display driver I can install over the generic driver that I have found, but the brightness controls work perfectly when the Generic PnP driver is disabled/uninstalled. I just wish it'd stay that way after a restart. Is there any other way to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

superkrups20056

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Figured it out. Used Group Policy Editor to prevent device with specific device ID from installing.

Capture.PNG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.