Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

link92

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
I know this is a Mac forum, but some of us need help with other hardware sometimes, and we trust you guys :)

Time for me to finally get around to replacing my home server (my Duron 700 in my siggy)…

I've pretty much settled on:
  • Antec P180 (plus Antec 120mm Smart Cool fan at the front)
  • Asus P5B Deluxe
  • Core 2 Duo E6300
  • Inno 7600GS (for those wondering why I'm getting such a high end GPU, it's because by having a GPU with Dual-Link DVI out, I can use it with my ACD when I do need a monitor (eg. rarely), therefore removing the need to have a separate monitor for it)
  • Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM (boot HD)
  • 5* Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 300GB 16MB Cache SATA-II in RAID5 (dumb marketing! that's SATA at a 3Gbps rate, not SATA2!)
  • 1GB DDR2 RAM
  • Pioneer DVR-111 16x DL DVD±RW

So, I basically have two questions:
  1. Can anyone suggest a decent PSU, remembering that I need 6 SATA connectors, and 5 fan connectors?
  2. Have I missed out anything vital? :p

todd2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2005
Danville, VA
link92 said:
I know this is a Mac forum, but some of us need help with other hardware sometimes, and we trust you guys :)

Time for me to finally get around to replacing my home server (my Duron 700 in my siggy)…

I've pretty much settled on:
  • Antec P180 (plus Antec 120mm Smart Cool fan at the front)
  • Asus P5B Deluxe
  • Core 2 Duo E6300
  • Inno 7600GS (for those wondering why I'm getting such a high end GPU, it's because by having a GPU with Dual-Link DVI out, I can use it with my ACD when I do need a monitor (eg. rarely), therefore removing the need to have a separate monitor for it)
  • Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM (boot HD)
  • 5* Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 300GB 16MB Cache SATA-II in RAID5 (dumb marketing! that's SATA at a 3Gbps rate, not SATA2!)
  • 1GB DDR2 RAM
  • Pioneer DVR-111 16x DL DVD±RW

So, I basically have two questions:
  1. Can anyone suggest a decent PSU, remembering that I need 6 SATA connectors, and 5 fan connectors?
  2. Have I missed out anything vital? :p

Good choice on Asus for the Motherboard, I would say go with an Antec for the PSU as well, it's been a while since I built a PC, but Antec makes nice Power Suplies

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
looks pretty good. however, does that mobo have integrated video? if so wouldnt it be much cheaper to get a used 15" crt from some place near you? there's a store near me that sells 'em for $20. even if you had to get a low-end pci vid card it'd still be cheaper. then you could spend the money you saved on ram :p

edit: saw your reason for the 7600gs. the 30" should still look sharp and clear at 1280x800 as well as 2560x1600, and any old pci-e card (even like a $35 6200) should run that res.

link92

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
homerjward said:
looks pretty good. however, does that mobo have integrated video? if so wouldnt it be much cheaper to get a used 15" crt from some place near you? there's a store near me that sells 'em for $20. even if you had to get a low-end pci vid card it'd still be cheaper. then you could spend the money you saved on ram :p

edit: saw your reason for the 7600gs. the 30" should still look sharp and clear at 1280x800 as well as 2560x1600, and any old pci-e card (even like a $35 6200) should run that res.
It's only really £40 more, and that really isn't much extra.

velocityg4 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103931

This one from Antec will provide more than enough power and connectors. I would also recommend getting everything through Newegg. They offer the all around best price I can find.
Yeah, far more than enough power (adding up all the power drawn by all the components actually puts it at around 300W). That was actually the one I'd been looking at though, because almost anything with enough connectors is rated at 500W (or higher).

As for Newegg, I'm in the UK (as should be guessable from earlier in this post), therefore meaning that isn't really an option.

mgargan1 said:
just make sure you have 2 sticks of RAM...

Dual Channel DDR RAM is where it's at...
Yeah, I know enough 'bout that (partly from my G5, there's no way on earth I'd've bought 4.5GB RAM from Apple :)).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.