Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Singer-songwriter George Michael has passed away, the BBC reports. The British artist known for being one-half of Wham! as well as his own solo career was 53 years old, and “passed away peacefully at home.”

He was just reported dead in a celebrity death hoax a few days ago.

http://pitchfork.com/news/70597-george-michael-dead-at-53/

I never saw the hoax story, so this is the first I had heard of it.

However, I did see George Michael's death reported tonight on the BBC, Sky and the Guardian.

A very talented songwriter, - and - in the 90s, a deservedly popular and successful star.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
2016 - has certainly been an annus horriblus .... and we still have a week to go :(

Last edited:

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
I was never a fan, thinking he was a frivolous side show in the arena of music.

But my wife disagreed with that assessment entirely.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This song comes to mind. So many shooting stars in the entertainment business. But it could be argued that being a shooting star is as valid as living a mediocre life.

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
This song comes to mind. So many shooting stars in the entertainment business. But it could be argued that being a shooting star is as valid as living a mediocre life.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with living a mediocre life. I'm enjoying mine. And I'm sure you're enjoying yours as well.

Reactions: vkd

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There's absolutely nothing wrong with living a mediocre life. I'm enjoying mine. And I'm sure you're enjoying yours as well.

I'm just putting some perspective on it, saying both paths can be rewarding in different ways. However it's up to the individual to decide was it worth it. I wonder at times what the point is, if there is a point. Not to sound unhappy, I'm not unhappy, but at some point, I think we all reach an age where we start wondering what the point is. And no, I'm not distressed by contemplating my existence. Mostly it's an intriguing mystery. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Some of the best male singers have high voices. For a time I thought this song was sung by a woman. In fact in this video it initially felt like a woman singing.

Reactions: jkcerda

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
I'm just putting some perspective on it, saying both paths can be rewarding in different ways. However it's up to the individual to decide was it worth it. I wonder at times what the point is, if there is a point. Not to sound unhappy, I'm not unhappy, but at some point, I think we all reach an age where we start wondering what the point is. And no, I'm not distressed by contemplating my existence. Mostly it's an intriguing mystery. :)

There's no point. There is just life ... until there is death.

Anything accomplished in between is purely optional.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
There's no point. There is just life ... until there is death.

Anything accomplished in between is purely optional.

I agree, except we don't know much about death. Some of us observe the end of (mortal life) and think we know the truth and can reach polar opposite conclusions. :)
[doublepost=1482774051][/doublepost]
Did you assume his gender?

No assumption, but my first impression was female based on a variety of factors.

Last edited:

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I agree, except we don't know much about death. Some of us observe the end of (mortal life) and think we know the truth but can reach polar opposite conclusions. :)
[doublepost=1482774051][/doublepost]

No assumption, but my first impression was female on a variety of factors.
Same here. Thanks for the video

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
What was the cause of death?
From what I heard was a heart attack or something to that nature. Waiting to hear more from news. I guess someone did not wake him up. Apparently he was born on the 25th of June and died on Christmas Day December 25th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.