Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 29, 2013
Considering my iPad Air 2 has some stutters every now and Then I am thinking of upgrading to either iPad Pro 9.7 or 12.9.The problem is that the display is seemingly superior on the 9.7 because of True Tone but the Pro has 4 gigs of RAM.I mostly use iPad for entertainment ,browsing and some emails.Which would be a better buy coming from an Air 2?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
There are other items to compare as well: screen size, size of keyboard if you do a lot of typing on an iPad, color accuracy of the screen (9.7" has the edge), lighting port speed (only 12" can do USB 3). The point is there are many differences besides just size and cost in the two pro iPads. Go to an Apple store and play with both to better understand the tradeoffs.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
If only 9.7 had 4GB's of RAM... why Apple why?????? Safari tabs reload drives me crazy like on Air 2 ... not a single refresh on 12.9 but i cant stand its size.

Last edited:

macguy90

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Upstate NY
I really feel the most important factor in determining what model to get is how exactly you'll be using it in most scenarios. I bought the 12.9-inch Pro last Fall when it came out and sold it when the 9.7 inch Pro was released. I have to say- it was so great going back to that familiar form factor. I can't imagine ever going back to the larger Pro, it's just a bit too cumbersome in the hands & pricey. Apple seems to be keeping the 9.7-inch Pro their flagship iPad by giving it better hardware (minus the 4GB RAM).

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
If only 9.7 had 4GB's of RAM... why Apple why?????? Safari tabs reload drives me crazy like on Air 2 ... not a single refresh on 12.9 but i cant stand its size.
I still dont understand people who cant stand the larger size.....you had a choice in that matter.....

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
before spending the money, do a factory reset on your iPad Air. Then selectively reinstall only the apps that you are using. This will get a rid of any old code that is interfering with the performance of the iPad.
Its a great device that has more years left in it. Saving money is not a crime.
I don't really think that overall performance will increase just because there are less apps on an iOS device. The OS and apps don't tend to block each other's resources, and the apps run sandboxes from one another.

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
I posted this in another thread - I've had both the 9.7 and 12.9, and between the two, I definitely prefer the 12.9, but neither are right for me:

Here's my story/mini review:

I had an iPad Pro 12.9", 128 GB w/ LTE. Paid $550 on Craiglist, and bought the Pencil. I was happy as a clam... I passed the Patent Bar thanks (in small part) to the notes I took on the 12.9" screen, and loved the fluidity in Notability and Notes. I sketched more than usual (which is still not much) and tried to read a book or two (though I much prefer my Kindle Paperwhite).

So I was happy with my Pro! Until I realized what I used it for all but 30 min/day.... Reddit. iMessage. Occasional email (though I'd jump to my MBP for a long response). Random sketches while I watched Seinfeld. A $1200 (at retail) iPad Mini 1. So I sold it on Craigslist - $750 for the package with an iPad Mini 2 (16 GB, LTE) included (!). Needless to say, I was happy to skate away with some extra money in my pocket, and an iPad that does exactly what I wanted it to do.

I've had both iPad Pros now, and they are truly amazing devices to use. It feels like the future. But for me (and I do not speak for anyone else), they don't replace my MacBook simply because I enjoy using my Macbook more. Could they? Sure, I think so. I don't do that much intensive stuff, and the iPad Pro lineup is very capable. There are extremely few tasks (the rare molecular modeling experiment) where I use the quad-core capabilities of my laptop. But for 99.99% of tasks, the Pros have the power. They just don't have the experience I, personally, am looking for.

(By the way - the Apple SIM does indeed work in the Mini 2. The Apple website does not denote you're able to do this, but I can confirm it works!)

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Buy what works and matches your needs. Doesn't matter what we recommend if it's not gonna fit your requirements.

My use case: I had an Air 2 but wanted a larger iPad as I deal with PDF textbooks and was fed up of panning, scrolling, and zooming. Split screen was another requirement (although it's fairly limited right now). And if I'm watching a movie, then bigger is better. The 4gb RAM for future was less of a requirement but something of an insurance policy.

That said, it's obviously larger and heavier. If that matters much, leave it alone.

Portability says the 9.7 as does TrueTone if that matters. Just disregard split screen workflow as it's too small to be useable.

Both models need real software improvements both from Apple as well as third party developers.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Considering my iPad Air 2 has some stutters every now and Then I am thinking of upgrading to either iPad Pro 9.7 or 12.9.The problem is that the display is seemingly superior on the 9.7 because of True Tone but the Pro has 4 gigs of RAM.I mostly use iPad for entertainment ,browsing and some emails.Which would be a better buy coming from an Air 2?

Hate to break it to you. But with how anal you are about stutters, you will probably find them on either iPad Pro. You never seem pleased about anything Apple does.

As far as the screens go. 9.7" has the better DCI P3 colour space and true tone. (Basically a more advanced Night Shift built into the screen itself) Unless side by side, you wouldn't notice the better colour. 12.9" has a higher resolution though.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3 and ABC5S

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Original poster
Nov 29, 2013
Hate to break it to you. But with how anal you are about stutters, you will probably find them on either iPad Pro. You never seem pleased about anything Apple does.

As far as the screens go. 9.7" has the better DCI P3 colour space and true tone. (Basically a more advanced Night Shift built into the screen itself) Unless side by side, you wouldn't notice the better colour. 12.9" has a higher resolution though.
Is the higher resolution noticeable?Text is much more sharper?I am mostly inclined towards the 12 inch because of 4 gigs of ram and a full fledged A9X which should heavily benefit performance and also the big display.Also I have heard the better colour saturation of the iPad Pro 9.7 is only visible on content which supports the wide gamut?Is this true?

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
I have had my 128 GB cellular iPad Pro 12.9 since December with the smart keyboard which I use on a daily and an apple pencil I use occasionally for fun and just got my grandma and iPad Pro 9.732 GB with the smart keyboard I still prefer personally the 12.9 inch model because the size of the physical keyboard feels more natural The screen works very well for surfing the web really needs forums watching Netflix and my favorite split screen with picture in a picture but it's all personal opinion that's just what I like

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
The 12.9 is the superior all-around machine by far, the 9.7" is really about portability and ease of carrying.

If you already have an air2, I think going to the pro 9.7" will be of minimal improvement.

Ymmv.

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
The 12.9 is the superior all-around machine by far, the 9.7" is really about portability and ease of carrying.

If you already have an air2, I think going to the pro 9.7" will be of minimal improvement.

Ymmv.
I don't agree with you. coming from a Air 2 going straight to 12.9 inch pro but just recently using a pro 9.7 the Smart keyboard is a big plus the pencil is great The only reason I go with the 12.9 is I need something in between and air 2 and a MacBook Pro 15 inch And the answer is the 12.9 inch pro iPad it goes with me everywhere just in case

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I freaking love my 12.9" iPP, but I use mine as a laptop-replacement. If it were simply a casual iPad, I'd probably lean toward the 9.7" model for portability. But as I use mine for productivity (yes, I use it for productivity and find it indispensable, especially with the Pencil), the extra pixels from screen size and extra RAM helps with split screen multitasking.

For times when I want an iPad to entertain myself when out and about, I have an iPad mini 4 which does the trick.

Reactions: Night Spring

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I freaking love my 12.9" iPP, but I use mine as a laptop-replacement. If it were simply a casual iPad, I'd probably lean toward the 9.7" model for portability. But as I use mine for productivity (yes, I use it for productivity and find it indispensable, especially with the Pencil), the extra pixels from screen size and extra RAM helps with split screen multitasking.

For times when I want an iPad to entertain myself when out and about, I have an iPad mini 4 which does the trick.

Exchanged my MacBook Pro mid 2014 today for the 12 iPad Pro, and what a difference in weight, clarity, and of course the cost. Have'nt held one for a while, and this is a delight to hold. It will replace my notebook for now on. Went back-and-forth looking at the 9.7 inch iPad and the 12 inch iPad and made a final decision with the 12 inch. I am a happy camper.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It stutters every now and then? Wow, I upgraded my iPad 3 because it stuttered now and then. I can't believe an Air 2 can be that bad, haha.

I recently picked up the 9.7" Pro. It's a very very neat machine. I've had it maybe for a fortnight now and I still get impressed by how light it is. Reading on it is a joy, as is the Apple Pencil. I only have a bit of artistic talent but I'm able to knock out much better pics on the iPad than my Wacom (the latency and drawing onto the screen *really* helps).

The speakers are also incredible. But I think my favourite part by far is the displays white-balance shifting. It looks incredible and I wish my iPhone supported that too.

(as for a difference between both sizes: I went with the 9.7 because its weight is just perfect for me to hold with one hand, and the white balance shifting too. I've found the 9.7 to be perfect for drawing, editing RAW files, and doing other creative tasks with)

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It stutters every now and then? Wow, I upgraded my iPad 3 because it stuttered now and then. I can't believe an Air 2 can be that bad, haha.

Take anything the OP says with a grain of salt. For nearly all of iOS 9 he's done nothing but complain about stutters in every dark corner of the OS. Non stop talking about how much better Samsung is, planned obsolescence, far fetch conspiracy theories. The list goes on and on. If you spend 5 minutes looking at his post history you will see he's done nothing but be negative and hates everything Apple, but yet continues to use it. Simply put he will never be happy with anything, not even an iPad Pro. He will manage to find fault somewhere and be back to complain about it.

Reactions: ABC5S
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.