Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 31, 2003
I plan on getting a PS5, but not sure if I should wait for the slim version which is supposedly releasing some time this month. Plus I'm also waiting for a good deal. I believe the price should drop below $450 for the disc version. But no sale currently on it.

Reactions: Vankum8369

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
The PS5 Slim will be released in November 2023, so if you can wait, it might be worth buying the slimmer and more powerful model. But if you're eager to get started playing next-gen games, there's nothing wrong with buying the current PS5 model.
I agree with waiting for the slim, but there is nothing ‘more powerful’ about it. Same chip, same performance, same power consumption.

Reactions: Pezimak

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I agree with waiting for the slim, but there is nothing ‘more powerful’ about it. Same chip, same performance, same power consumption.
There is a rumor floating around that the "slim" version runs warmer and pulls more power from the wall than the "fat" version.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
There is a rumor floating around that the "slim" version runs warmer and pulls more power from the wall than the "fat" version.

Interesting, it’s performance is identical to the OG model, it is using the exact same chip. Teardowns suggest the PSU offers the same input and output as the OG too, so it’s interesting if it runs warmer and pulls more.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Fat vs Slim is relative. We are not talking Series S vs Series X difference. I would buy the fat PS5 because:

-The hardware is proven. Bugs or annoyances with regards to the slim one are unknown.
-Both require pretty much the same foot print whether vertical or horizontal.
-The fat one has a built in stand.
-The fat one has plenty of third party blades and accessories.
-If you are lucky, you could grab a good deal on the fat one over the coming weeks.

Reactions: MisterSavage

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Interesting, it’s performance is identical to the OG model, it is using the exact same chip. Teardowns suggest the PSU offers the same input and output as the OG too, so it’s interesting if it runs warmer and pulls more.
Dave2D did the teardown and temp/power tests...

Reactions: Pezimak

Ameer_1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2023
Boca Raton, Florida
I plan on getting a PS5, but not sure if I should wait for the slim version which is supposedly releasing some time this month. Plus I'm also waiting for a good deal. I believe the price should drop below $450 for the disc version. But no sale currently on it.
Wait for the slim version since it's new. Walmart, Target, Cosco, and Best Buy will have it available this Friday the 10th it will have a code included for Call Of Duty MW3 for $499.

furbzv1

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2014
I think that if you were already looking at getting 1. a ps5 2. mw3 - then its a win win to get the bundle.
if you bought the og version, might not be a bad thing to upgrade, new warranty and new control

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.