Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon is back with a big sale on the newest 24-inch M3 iMac, including both 256GB and 512GB models. This time around, the deals do not require any sort of coupon in order to see the final discounted price.

iMac-Deals-Blue.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Starting with the 8-core GPU/256GB M3 iMac, this model is available for $1,199.00 in two colors, down from $1,299.00. Amazon also has the 10-core GPU/256GB M3 iMac on sale for $1,409.00, down from $1,499.00. This one is available in four colors.

Note: You won't see the deal price until checkout.

Lastly, the 10-core GPU/512GB M3 iMac has hit $1,594.00 in three colors, down from $1,699.00. All of Amazon's deals today are solid second-best prices on the M3 iMac, and right now many of the computers can be delivered as soon as this Friday, April 26 if you have a Prime membership.

Apple launched the M3 iMac back in October 2023, bringing significant speed and efficiency improvements with the upgrade from the M1 to the M3 chip. Otherwise, there are no major design changes to the newest iMac model. Keep up with all of this week's best discounts on Apple products and related accessories in our dedicated Apple Deals roundup.

Article Link: Get Up to $105 Off Apple's M3 iMacs on Amazon, Starting at $1,199

waltermitty

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2010
8 GB of RAM is no deal at all.
It's inexcusable for desktops to not have an opening to upgrade the ram. Older iMacs did. Now you have to perform a surgery dealing with the screen adhesive. It's a mess. I upgraded my 2019 4k iMac with a 1tb NVME (replacing the stupid fusion drive), put a 1tb SSD where the spinning drive was, and upgraded the ram to 32gb out of spite. Now it's a decent machine. You can't even do that with the M series because the ram is soldered in.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The 8GB of memory is a dealbreaker for me. I can barely imagine ordering a machine with 16GB of memory in 2024, much less 8GB for $1600. Apple needs to get their crap together on this, especially since 8GB seems to be the only configuration these stores are allowed to sell for non-Pro machines.

I'm in the market in the next year to buy a Mac for my kids. I think I'm probably going to go with a Mac mini instead, maybe a refurb with 24GB so it can last them awhile. My daughter is getting interested in photography and design so I want to load my second license of Adobe CC on there. I would buy an iMac if they would ever add target display mode back to it. I recently built a standing desk upstairs to share with the family and I'd like to be able to plug my M3 Max 14" MBP into an iMac since it would look really clean. Instead it will be the mini and a clunky looking LG monitor with a bunch of wires.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
The 8GB of memory is a dealbreaker for me. I can barely imagine ordering a machine with 16GB of memory in 2024, much less 8GB for $1600. Apple needs to get their crap together on this, especially since 8GB seems to be the only configuration these stores are allowed to sell for non-Pro machines.

I'm in the market in the next year to buy a Mac for my kids. I think I'm probably going to go with a Mac mini instead, maybe a refurb with 24GB so it can last them awhile. My daughter is getting interested in photography and design so I want to load my second license of Adobe CC on there. I would buy an iMac if they would ever add target display mode back to it. I recently built a standing desk upstairs to share with the family and I'd like to be able to plug my M3 Max 14" MBP into an iMac since it would look really clean. Instead it will be the mini and a clunky looking LG monitor with a bunch of wires.
Why not a studio display with 1 thunderbolt wire?

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
I had to custom order since no one stocks the maxed out iMac. Took over a month. Not a good sign. Still, the thing is great. Centerpiece of my humble existence. Does all I need and does it very well. Would I have paid more for even more CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD? Yes. I see the value. Are you listening Apple?

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
If 8GB isn't enough for you, do what literally everyone else does if they need more than that - buy more. If I want a double burger, I don't complain that the restaurant is also selling single-patty burgers to other customers, or that the double burgers cost more.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I know I may come across as an 8GB apologist, but really people, 8GB works great for most of the target iMac market. These machines are used for emails, web, MS Office, casual photo editing. They're going to be just fine for that purpose for years to come.

Apple does overcharge for more RAM, but 8GB is just fine for the sorts of thing that people use iMacs for. Those of us that need more, should buy more, but it doesn't mean that 8GB machine's are useless or will stop working in 3-5 years time.

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
If 8GB isn't enough for you, do what literally everyone else does if they need more than that - buy more. If I want a double burger, I don't complain that the restaurant is also selling single-patty burgers to other customers, or that the double burgers cost more.
The problem is Apple price-gouging on RAM upgrade prices. They are a rip-off and 8gb in 2024 is an embarrassment.

Real Old Skool

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2024
Wish this was a 27” M3 iMac.
You would have to wonder what actual sales of these 24 inch iMacs are compared with sales if a 27 inch iMac existed

I'd be the first in line to purchase a 27" M3 iMac.

Am STILL using a Fall 2009 27" iMac (running High Sierra OSX 10.13 via a Core 2 Duo CPU) as my main general purpose web cruiser/computing platform via Firefox. 16GB of RAM, 1TB SSD.

General purpose MS Office tasks work perfectly well and are "snappy," as it were. Pixel editing/image manipulation and non-professional-level sound file manipulations/editing are also perfectly doable, with little to no wait when conducting most general purpose non-professional editing tasks.

Video editing via iMovie, or re-purposing video material via a codec change can take a bit of time, depending upon length of video file needing encoding and/or codec resolution and type - video manipulation is not a show stopper, per se, and for a non-deadline driven needs works perfectly well - get up and grab a drink, or make a phone call, etc. while waiting for finished output.

Also have a M1 base model Mac Mini that the grandkids use, and an M1 Macbook Air base model for on-the-go.

While the 2009 iMac is long-in-tooth, it works 100% as expected, and never locks up/crashes the OSX - individual apps can crash (though not very often) and recovery is a non-issue.

Coming from the old skool of system engineering (IBM 3090 mainframes from the early 1980s), I appreciate where computing tech has come from, with each generational improvement as it evolves into each new computing reality. One such area that we all take for granted - the Mac printer/scanner architecture/design - an ultra reliable and plug-and-play (versus old skool plug-and-pray) capability. In the "old daze," this peripheral area (printers, scanners) was fraught with hit-and-miss functionality, with little to no plug-and-play, typically.

Am new to Mac Rumors. Thanks for all of the tips, tricks and observations that many of you have posted - have benefitted more than once from suggestions/observations gleaned here.

Real Old Skool

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2024
I know I may come across as an 8GB apologist, but really people, 8GB works great for most of the target iMac market. These machines are used for emails, web, MS Office, casual photo editing. They're going to be just fine for that purpose for years to come.

Apple does overcharge for more RAM, but 8GB is just fine for the sorts of thing that people use iMacs for. Those of us that need more, should buy more, but it doesn't mean that 8GB machine's are useless or will stop working in 3-5 years time.
Concur with your observation.

For general purpose computing needs, the 8GB/256GB base M1 configuration is more that useful for the casual (and even semi-pro in some use cases) user. This market-group would represent the vast majority of general computer users, per se.

The best value buy for a new computer is either the currently heavily discounted M1 Mac Mini or the M1 Macbook Air base models. General purpose computer users will not be disappointed in the performance, at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.