Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
I can't really afford the Mac Pro right now and I'd have to upgrade it anyway.

I can get a G5 with upgraded Ram Dual 2.5 and applecare for around £1000. I figure if I have problems with the G5 Apple might end up replacing it with a Mac Pro in the future anyway.

Will Leopard work on a G5? How long do you think companies will keep making G5 compatible programs for?

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
Don't worry, PowerPC apps are still going to be around for a long, long time. Wasn't it a while before companies stopped making 68k apps during the 68k > PPC transition?

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Keep in mind that IBM has made huge strides with their Power6 chip. Intel has gone the multiple core route because it had difficulty in ramping the processor speed with acceptable power use / heat. IBM appears to be onto something with the Power6. Now, if they derive a mobile processor from that - well we could see............. :)

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Will Leopard work on a G5?

Yep.
How long do you think companies will keep making G5 compatible programs for?

Hard to say, but it wouldn't be of concern to me if I were in your position. There are plenty of users with powerPC macs and if any company decides not to address a software market with a powerPC version of it's software another developer will. How long will you expect the machine to last you? Three, four, five years?

Amber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
I'll probably upgrade in a 1 - 1 1/2 years and use the G5 as a media centre of sorts linked to a TV

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I'll probably upgrade in a 1 - 1 1/2 years and use the G5 as a media centre of sorts linked to a TV

Except the dual 2.5s are a bit noisy; I use one at work and the fans, while not as bad as the MDD G4s are still noticeable. Not nearly as quiet as a Mini, for example.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
I can't really afford the Mac Pro right now and I'd have to upgrade it anyway.

I can get a G5 with upgraded Ram Dual 2.5 and applecare for around £1000. I figure if I have problems with the G5 Apple might end up replacing it with a Mac Pro in the future anyway.

Will Leopard work on a G5? How long do you think companies will keep making G5 compatible programs for?

Get a refurb Mac Pro - they are actually brand new machines! They will run Windows if you have to - and won't burst and spray toxic green coolant round the room turning your children into mutants. G5s are known to do that!

C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.