Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I owned an Apple Watch until recently. It had to be sent back. However, I did a couple of days ago, before the watch was sent back, backed up my iPhone with iTunes.

I use encrypted backups in iTunes. I was wondering if someone could tell me how I go about restoring my replacement Apple Watch with the backup I'm hoping iTunes will have took of my old Apple Watch.

Thanks in advance.

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I think when you start up your new Watch at some point if will ask you if you want to restore from a backup or start all over. I had to unpaired and repair mine and this is what happened.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
You want to preserve your data (Activities/Health) - so if you back up your phone to iCloud, you're OK. If you're backing up using iTunes make sure you "encrypt backup" or you will lose your watch history.

Reactions: Lennyvalentin

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Thanks everyone for the help, appreciate it.

The thing that worries me is. Before I returned it. I went into Settings (on the watch) and then Reset/erase all content and settings. So I never unpaired it.

So that makes me wonder if a backup was took. I did use the Apple Watch for a week, so I'm unsure as to if not would have backed itself up to my iPhone during this period.

I did however, back my iPhone up to iTunes, before I erased the Apple Watch. And I always have the box ticked in there for encrypted backup.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
....The thing that worries me is. Before I returned it. I went into Settings (on the watch) and then Reset/erase all content and settings. So I never unpaired it.

So that makes me wonder if a backup was took. I did use the Apple Watch for a week, so I'm unsure as to if not would have backed itself up to my iPhone during this period.

I did however, back my iPhone up to iTunes, before I erased the Apple Watch. And I always have the box ticked in there for encrypted backup.
The :apple:Watch is dynamically backing up to the iPhone very often. Un-pairing insures an up to the moment backup. In all likelihood the most you lost would be just a few minutes of data.

Reactions: Fatboy71

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
The :apple:Watch is dynamically backing up to the iPhone very often. Un-pairing insures an up to the moment backup. In all likelihood the most you lost would be just a few minutes of data.

I wondered this too. I took my wife's watch to Apple for repair and forgot to unpair figuring it was a simple fix but they had to replace the whole thing. The watch never prompted me to restore it from backup upon initial pairing. I assume all her data is there though.

There should be a manual way of backing it up, like we can do with iCloud for the phone. Unless the watch backup would also be included with that. That would ensure an up to the minute backup.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I wondered this too. I took my wife's watch to Apple for repair and forgot to unpair figuring it was a simple fix but they had to replace the whole thing. The watch never prompted me to restore it from backup upon initial pairing. I assume all her data is there though.

So was all your wife's data there, did she mention if it was, when you started using her new watch?
Thanks.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
So was all your wife's data there, did she mention if it was, when you started using her new watch?
Thanks.

Pretty sure it's there, probably just missed a little bit of info from when the last iCloud backup was done before I turned it in. I'll double check tomorrow.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Pretty sure it's there, probably just missed a little bit of info from when the last iCloud backup was done before I turned it in. I'll double check tomorrow.

Thanks very much, appreciate it.

I'm supposed to get my new Apple Watch today, so I'll update this thread with the outcome. Thanks again :)

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Got my replacement today. Paired the watch up (held my iPhone over the animation on the Apple Watch) and was then presented with the option to set up as new or to restore from a backup (which was the morning of the day I erased my old Apple Watch). Restored from backup and everything is has it was on my old Apple Watch :)

Thanks for the help everyone :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.