Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The contract YOU agreed to is pretty black and white. There's nothing "subjective" about it. It was fair enough for you to agree to it, so suck it up and either finish your obligation or pay up.

You admit you're looking for a loophole to break the contract that YOU agreed to.

Agreed. Hate to say it OP, but your options are fairly limited. You can buy it at the unsubsidized price, add a line, buy the iPhone on the secondary market, or stick with what you already have.

tdmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
You can cancel your AT&T contract and pay the $175 fee less $10 for every month you used it. You can then get the New customer deal on the iphone and be paying $200 plus maximum $175 so total is Max $375 far better than the cost of a phone without a new customer deal.

+1

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Might want to double check with another ATT rep

I was in a slightly similar situation.

My old Sony Ericsson flip phone died on me during Xmas 2008, and although my 2 year contract wasn't up, ATT has a different timeline about when you're eligible for your ext upgrade (only 18 months I believe).

So, in early January, I picked up a new Sony Ericsson slider which was subsidized. However, when the iPhone 3GS came out on June, I was able to upgrade to that with no difficulty or extra fees. I even checked with ATT beforehand to make sure.

Even better, I was able to sell my 6 month old slider phone for $60.

So, I would double check. Be polite and patient. Also, ask about the upgrade timing.

Best of luck.

DCBass

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
like im just a beginner at iphone sdk, and im kinda learning objective c and cocoa. i dont really know anything about this so can u guys give me a tutorial or guide and a link to those applications to get it onto my iPhone.

eplchamps0305

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2009
You can cancel your AT&T contract and pay the $175 fee less $10 for every month you used it. You can then get the New customer deal on the iphone and be paying $200 plus maximum $175 so total is Max $375 far better than the cost of a phone without a new customer deal.

No it's minus $5 for every month of use not $10. After 23 months Att still keep $60.

The Gary

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2009
I stand corrected

No it's minus $5 for every month of use not $10. After 23 months Att still keep $60.

Still a little better deal. We often forget the price of the phone with service is more than just the price of the phone instrument. So if you honor the commitment you can get a better deal on the combination. Without keeping your commitment you will pay more. Simple! Not a novel ideal.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
By the way, that stats quote was likely coined by Charles Wentworth Dilke, not Disraeli. . .

Take your pick... Twain, Disraeli or Dilke.
Nobody really knows who coined it.

"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments, and the tendency of people to disparage statistics that do not support their positions.
The term was popularized in the United States by Mark Twain (among others), who attributed it to the 19th Century British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli (1804-1881): "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." However, the phrase is not found in any of Disraeli's works and the earliest known appearances were years after his death. Other coiners have therefore been proposed. The most plausible, given current evidence, is Charles Wentworth Dilke (1843-1911).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.