Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wowfunhappy

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2019
Personally, at this particular moment, I’d prefer finding a way to backport the current source for Signal to compile and run in Mojave, but that is also unlikely to come to pass.
...it looks like it's just an Electron app, so all you should have to do is recompile the app with a slightly older build of Electron. (It seems very unlikely they actually need anything in the latest versions of Chromium; you don't need to go back very far for Mojave support.) This should be extremely doable. Maybe a little annoying if it's you first time with something like this, but manageable.

B S Magnet

macrumors 601
Original poster
...it looks like it's just an Electron app, so all you should have to do is recompile the app with a slightly older build of Electron. (It seems very unlikely they actually need anything in the latest versions of Chromium; you don't need to go back very far for Mojave support.) This should be extremely doable. Maybe a little annoying if it's you first time with something like this, but manageable.

An unofficial Signal wiki still has a “TODO” on the steps for setting up the macOS correct build environment for simple-minded people like me who can’t code their way out of a shoe box, or else I’d have tried…

…no, wait: I did try in December, right when they informed users how the desktop client would cease to work/sync on Macs running Mojave or earlier. The basic, I’m-a-simple-brain method of configure, make, make install, didn’t even make it out of the configure step. At that moment, it was also not something I had unbroken hours to pore over and figure out, so the notion of trying again sort of languished.

Last edited:

Minghold

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2022
Your soon-to-be-unveiled "Ultimate Universal Catalina 32-bit Enabler" would extend this to 32-bit stuff. Can't wait....
So.... Does anyone have 32-bits apps actually working in Catalina yet? (Or, for that matter, any later OS?) And I mean important stuff, like CS6, or Peggle Nights (because every computer should have that).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.