Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
So over Christmas I was helping to paint my grandparents house when there was an incident with the white paint sprayer my uncle was using. Now that the jokes about wanting to fit in with the senior community have grown old, I want to get the paint out of my hair. However, since I don't want to cut it out(worried about losing it so I want to try to preserve as much as possible :p) how can I remove it? Would nail polish remover work? Shampoo has pretty much done nothing....

bassproguy07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Katy, TX
i always had luck with the finger nail method. Peel it off by placing painted hair between two finger nails and scraping. If that doesn't work, get a fine tooth comb, metal preferably and slowly comb it out. nail polish is worth a shot, try it on a small spot

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
How much paint are we talking? If its just a small amount you can probably comb it out with a fine tooth metal comb. If it's a lot of hair you might need something more so you don't have to spend all weekend painfully combing masses and masses of hair.

LeahM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2008
How long/short is your hair? If its just on the tips, you could try putting the polish remover on a comb and combing it out.

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
you might need a lot of nail polish remover to get that out. This may sound silly but gasoline is the cheapest solvent. Anyway you look at it you have to use something flammable.

Make sure to stand in front of your house while you do it. You're neighbors will sure leave you alone for a while after seeing you dump a gallon of gas on your head.

Applespider

macrumors G4
If it's an oil based paint, oil is the best thing to take it off. Olive oil, vegetable oil, baby oil - whatever. Rub it into the hair and it will soften the paint so it should be easier for you to get the paint off.

Handy hint - if you do put oil in your hair, once the paint is off, rinse and dry your hair. It will look awful because of the excess oil. Once your hair is dry, then shampoo it (dry) and then rinse it off as normal.

ButtUglyJeff

macrumors 6502a
If it's latex paint, rubbing alcohol will usually do the trick. If it's spray paint, you'll usually need lacquer thinner. Oil paint, I would go with linseed oil or mineral spirits.

I was in the paint business for 15 years, before my untimely expulsion.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.