Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
This may be a little premature, but I wanted to get some suggestions from folks who have done this before.

I've decided that when Tiger comes out, i want to do a clean "format" on all of my Macs and do a perfectly clean, new install of the OS. My machines get used hard every day, and although I do force all of the daily, weekly and monthly maintenance (along with prebinding) I'd like to clean everything up.

Am I being stupid about this? Should I just do an archive and install when the new OS is out?

chameeeleon

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2004
I want to do exactly the same thing - I have a lot of files floating around taking up space that I'm too lazy to delete (a lot of Final Cut renders that I for some reason put in other folder, etc.).
What I'm wondering is will I be able to install apps like iWork which come with a serial number that I registered again if it is on my own computer? And for another point, if I bought the Final Cut Express HD upgrade, would it mean I'd have to install Final Cut Express 2 again, and then HD on top of it?
I'm starting to think it'll be too much trouble.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Well, you shouldn't have any prolem with iLife.

I'm thinking I am going to to a complete bootable backup on my 300GB FW drive, and then pull the pieces off of it I need - like e-mail boxes and such.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I've always gone for a clean install; I think there's a much lower probability of having problems. Plus it gives you the opportunity to go through the new OS and set things up fresh, and in the process you'll discover new preferences, etc. Just (duh) make sure you have good backups as mentioned ^^.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
I suggest just getting one copy start, since you are suppost to purchase one for all of the computers, and set it up on one computer that you can take away from the bunch. And make sure that its all the same to go from start to finish when setting them up. Never know if they changed something and you need time to figure out the answers to the problems you could have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.