Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aii

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2023
THAT was very helpful. Thank you for detailing your experience.

Your post brought up another interesting point... thresholds.

You mentioned that a few apps require 10.9+, and some apps require 10.11+.

I know that EveryMac has a list of what OS each machine can run, however...

Has anyone developed a list of what apps require which OS to run????

Obviously, such a list is more difficult to make, due to constant app revisions and "security" updates.

On the other hand, you (and others) speak definitively about certain apps requiring certain OS's.

Does such a list or chart exist, in rough and generalized form, that offers ball park guidance in this regard?

PS... I posted in THIS thread because I wanted YOUR opinion. ;)

ojfd

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2020
Your post brought up another interesting point... thresholds.
You mentioned that a few apps require 10.9+, and some apps require 10.11+.

Those thresholds are because of Apple pushing down their requirements on developers. Lame ones go along, install all the latest tools (XCode, Qt, wxWidgets etc.) and start compiling for the latest OS. Those that care about their customers, find workarounds and make their apps compatible with many older systems.

Apple changed a lot in 10.9, hence the big threshold around that time. The next one was around 10.13.

Quite often the added "features" in many apps only coincide with the move to the next OS. Smart developer could have introduced them without that move.

Has anyone developed a list of what apps require which OS to run????

That's almost impossible task. You have to find it out by yourself. Readme files, developer websites and so on. Or use tools that can report system requirements.

Attachments

• CS6.png
    CS6.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.