Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virtual

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Brazil
Hiya, just got my MacBook and I am raring to go.

However, this is my first Mac so I need a small bit of guidance. I have had a play around with it for a couple of hours last night and think I have the general jist of it. However, I need some of your expert advice ;)

1. Since I am on a notebook, I read there was an application which showed you the battery storage capacity left. I believe it was still in beta and was sometimes widely innacurate, but heh :p I believe it was called something like coconut?

2. From a PC background I was able to click on the internet connection icon in the task bar and see how much I have down/uploaded. Is there anything like this for the Mac?

3. Since I only got a trial with MS office (I think, not on my Mac atm (at work:()), I want to do two things:
3a. Uninstall all those trials that came with my Mac, and the default languages, but couldn't find the thread which has the app here.
3b. Install a nice office application, free preferably ;)

Umm, I think that is all, so thanks for your help.
virtual

virtual

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Brazil
NeoOffice looks pretty cool - thanks!

Also just spent a couple minutes browsing the widgest on Apple's site, some of them look really good. :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
2. Depending on whether you want throughput or total, check out XRG, MenuMeters and BetterWhatsGoingOn (a Yahoo widget).

3a. Office comes with it's own uninstaller, most other applications you just have to drag to trash to uninstall. You want Delocalizer (works nicely with Tiger even if it says it's not tested) or Monolingual (do not remove the PPC architecture, or whatever that option is called) to get rid of those extra languages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.