Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
I was wondering how to get the brushed metal neverending background from OSX that is used in the iApps and get the file. I've been exploring and still can't find the file. Any help is needed.

RiseAgainst

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2003
Ya Might want to check this out...

Go here...

http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/ape/

These guys make some really awesome programs. I think its ShapShifter or WindowShade X. I forget which one. I know Shapshifter can completly overhaul the look of the GIU. But in one of them you get just get rid of the brushed aluminum.

joshuwa72

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2003
Chelsea, Michigan
Id rather get rid of the 'satin' look than brushed metal.

The smooth white satin looks completely untouched and incredibly bland. even the old aqua stripes were cooler...

I want brushed metal on everything.

Engagebot

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
LSU - Baton Rouge
brushed metal

Just use the Interface Builder that comes with Panther in XCode. Just make a large empty window thats as big as your screen, then capture the screen and crop out the minimize and close buttons and stuff.

even if you just have a large section of it, you can fake it in photoshop.

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
I know, but I need the REPEATING PATTERN that Apple uses. The have it so the grains match up and it dosn't look ****ty.

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Originally posted by iElvis
The file you are looking for can be found from within iPhoto's resources. Its called new_metal_texture.tiff

That's it! Thanks! BTW, just wondering, do you know where the pinstripes (the white lines in the 10.2 finder) image is by any chance?

iElvis

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2003
Wellington, New Zealand
No I don't. All I can suggest is looking at the resorces of various apps. I just happend to remember seeing the brushed metal one when i was trying to copy anything OS X related. I didn't have a mac and was trying to get my pc to look like one. But that was before i got my own iBook.

joshuwa72

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2003
Chelsea, Michigan
brushed metal is more complicated than just a tiled image.

notice how it gets lighter/shinier towards the center of the title bar???

how are you going to mimic that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.