Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oman MkII

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2015
Brisbane, Australia
Hi there! My first post around here, so if this is the wrong spot move it around as necessary.

I'm running Virtual Box on my 2012 13-inch Mac Book Air, and although I've managed to setup a proper Windows guest (Windows 7 64 bit), it doesn't recognise the host graphics hardware, and will only allow the default 800x600 resolution and upward scales of it. Everything else works great, but I want to be able to run the resolution at the native 1440x900, it looks rather ugly with black bars around the outside of the screen.

Note - The Windows guest lists the graphics hardware as "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter", which I believe it does before any video drivers are installed. However when I try to install the drivers for the listed card, it says the computer does not meet the minimum requirements.

I'd rather not disassemble my laptop, but is there a reasonable way to have the Windows guest recognise the graphics card and install the drivers?

If not, what is the next best thing? Can I scale the resolution with either VB or Windows to fit at least one dimension of my screen?

Laptop specs:

13-inch mid 2012 model Macbook Air
1.8 GHz Intel Core i5
4Gb 1600MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 (512 Mb)
OSX 10.8.5 (12F2518)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.