Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
1) Had you consumed any drugs that day (ie sleeping aids)?
No. I was 9, perfectly healthy and have never had any sleep problems even in times of great stress (I'm lucky I know).

2) How specific were you in your description about his clothing? Did you wait for your grandmother to describe the clothing first, or did you tell her what you saw first?
I told them what I saw and said, "he was even wearing a yellow striped polo shirt and grey slacks." They looked at each other and said, that's what he was wearing. Nothing they said could've given me clues as to what he was wearing.

3)Are you 100% certain you saw no pictures of him that day? Are you 100% certain you never had the chance to see what he might have had on that day? Are you 100% certain you did not overhear what he was wearing from someone else that day?
100% sure. This was 20 years ago so there is a zero % chance I saw a picture of him taken on that day (I told them the day it happened). I can't be 100% certain that I didn't overhear someone saying what he was wearing but that is highly unlikely as I was 9 at the time and all of the grandkids were shuttled off elsewhere because of the shock to the adults and the commotion going on. Most of my grandfathers family just happened to be there on vacation (talk about a crappy vacation).

4) Did he look young or old while sitting on the couch?
Old as if I had just seen him.

5) Was your grandfather one to own a lot of clothes?
He had enough clothes that it would be improbable for me to guess what he wore.

6) What exactly do you remember him wearing?
It's been 20 years. All I remember now is that it was a yellow polo shirt.

7) What month of the year did this happen?
One of the summer months as we were there on vacation. I'm not one to keep track of the anniversaries of family members deaths.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
No. I was 9, perfectly healthy and have never had any sleep problems even in times of great stress (I'm lucky I know).

I'm like that too. At 9 years old, an earthquake probably wouldn't have woken me.

I told them what I saw and said, "he was even wearing a yellow striped polo shirt and grey slacks." They looked at each other and said, that's what he was wearing. Nothing they said could've given me clues as to what he was wearing.

100% sure. This was 20 years ago so there is a zero % chance I saw a picture of him taken on that day (I told them the day it happened). I can't be 100% certain that I didn't overhear someone saying what he was wearing but that is highly unlikely as I was 9 at the time and all of the grandkids were shuttled off elsewhere because of the shock to the adults and the commotion going on. Most of my grandfathers family just happened to be there on vacation (talk about a crappy vacation).

This leads me to wonder if he was taken to the ER. Feel free not to answer, but I believe that it would shed a lot of light, even if you never went to the ER yourself.

Old as if I had just seen him.

Now that is something isn't it?

Have you ever noticed that when you try to picture someone in your mind, they appear just like you last remember them?

He had enough clothes that it would be improbable for me to guess what he wore.

But perhaps not improbable for you to make a guess that was close but off.

Old men tend to have their favorite pairs of clothes. My hunch is that that was not the only occasion in which you saw your grandfather wearing a yellow shirt with grey pants. I would even venture to guess that if you had missed a few details (say it was a yellow shirt and not a polo) they would have been glossed over because everyone was probably still in shock.

One of the summer months as we were there on vacation. I'm not one to keep track of the anniversaries of family members deaths.

And if you don't mind me asking, where was this place?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
This leads me to wonder if he was taken to the ER. Feel free not to answer, but I believe that it would shed a lot of light, even if you never went to the ER yourself.
I don't know if he was. My parents withheld a lot of what was going on from us and I've never bothered asking since.

Have you ever noticed that when you try to picture someone in your mind, they appear just like you last remember them?
At the same time if he were to have appeared to me as young I wouldn't have known who the heck he was.

But perhaps not improbable for you to make a guess that was close but off.

Old men tend to have their favorite pairs of clothes. My hunch is that that was not the only occasion in which you saw your grandfather wearing a yellow shirt with grey pants. I would even venture to guess that if you had missed a few details (say it was a yellow shirt and not a polo) they would have been glossed over because everyone was probably still in shock.
He had several yellow polos with differing stripes (he was color blind and liked that color because he could see it). I made sure to ask if that was the shirt he was wearing and not one of the others. Of course, there is always a chance that I was just lucky but, like I said, it wasn't a dream.

And if you don't mind me asking, where was this place?
Cutler Ridge, FL

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
At the same time if he were to have appeared to me as young I wouldn't have known who the heck he was.

Why would that be important to a ghost? ;)

He had several yellow polos with differing stripes (he was color blind and liked that color because he could see it). I made sure to ask if that was the shirt he was wearing and not one of the others. Of course, there is always a chance that I was just lucky but, like I said, it wasn't a dream.

Indeed, I'd venture to say that you were simply lucky.

I would also be willing to say that it almost certainly was a dream. You were 9, and an admittedly heavy sleeper. The chances that you were suddenly awoken by anything is slim. Anything except a bad dream, that is.

You've also had 20 years of retrospective memory to make your memory match what you think happened. It needn't be anything you're even consciously aware of; we all tend to make our memories conform to the version of events we are convinced occurred.

For example, suppose that you were awoken by someone (grandma it seems) entering the room and turning on a light? There is a distinct possibility you were already dreaming about your grandfather just prior to that, or that you dreamt about him immediately after going back to sleep. The next morning this could have been merged into a single event.

You may even have seen someone in those waking moments who wasn't your grandfather, but who looked like him because a) it was dark, b) you had just woken up, and c) there was an inopportune light shining towards you.

That, or you saw a ghost which happened to look like he ought to just for your sake, who somehow managed to wear clothes, and who thought not to communicate a final goodbye to his wife and children, but to simply create alarm for his 9 year-old grandson.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Why would that be important to a ghost? ;)

Indeed, I'd venture to say that you were simply lucky.

I would also be willing to say that it almost certainly was a dream. You were 9, and an admittedly heavy sleeper. The chances that you were suddenly awoken by anything is slim. Anything except a bad dream, that is.

You've also had 20 years of retrospective memory to make your memory match what you think happened. It needn't be anything you're even consciously aware of; we all tend to make our memories conform to the version of events we are convinced occurred.

For example, suppose that you were awoken by someone (grandma it seems) entering the room and turning on a light? There is a distinct possibility you were already dreaming about your grandfather just prior to that, or that you dreamt about him immediately after going back to sleep. The next morning this could have been merged into a single event.

You may even have seen someone in those waking moments who wasn't your grandfather, but who looked like him because a) it was dark, b) you had just woken up, and c) there was an inopportune light shining towards you.

That, or you saw a ghost which happened to look like he ought to just for your sake, who somehow managed to wear clothes, and who thought not to communicate a final goodbye to his wife and children, but to simply create alarm for his 9 year-old grandson.
The only thing I've really forgotten about the event was which exact yellow shirt he wore. Everything else I remember about those ~60 seconds are the same as they've always been; it was that life changing.

Sure it could've been all in my mind, as anything is possible, but as the person it happened to, it's nothing like anything I've experienced before.

As I alluded to earlier, I understand the skepticism. You simply have to experience something like that to understand.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
The only thing I've really forgotten about the event was which exact yellow shirt he wore. Everything else I remember about those ~60 seconds are the same as they've always been; it was that life changing.

Of course they are the same now. We have no way of knowing how faithful your memory is to the actual events that transpired.

Of course, given how notoriously inaccurate eye witnesses are (and children even more so), it's a very, very, very safe bet that you have forgotten, morphed, or added to the details of the event.
Sure it could've been all in my mind, as anything is possible, but as the person it happened to, it's nothing like anything I've experienced before.

As I alluded to earlier, I understand the skepticism. You simply have to experience something like that to understand.

I'm sure I probably have experienced something like that. We've all seen strange lights, heard unexplainable (at the time) noises, felt something on our necks, etc. The difference is that some (like these people who hunt ghosts) interpret every single anomaly in life as a paranormal presence.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Each year we had a ghost walk at my summer camp, a mile or two down a fire road in the deep woods, through some old native american lands. Stories were told along the way until we were thoroughly freaked out. Great fun. :D

I went on a Halloween ghost tour at The Mount/Edith Wharton house in Lenox Mass when I was younger that was extremely well done. Scared the pants off me. Particularly creepy setting to begin with. http://www.edithwharton.org/news.php?record=40

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I don't believe in ghosts, but I think it'd be awesome if I were wrong. I love spooky stuff - I wouldn't mind doing a ghost walk at some point.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I want to be fair to the Ghost Walk people, they did mention that orbs can be environmental, and that many/most of the orbs would be. It's that just when we got out onto the walk, the general attitude of the consumers was that every orb captured was a spirit. There were specific areas where they said spirits were hanging out and I did capture orbs there, however I'm going to have to examine these photos closely to see if there is anything that distinguishes dust from something else. I realize it's easy for some to proclaim "that's just dust". For myself that is uncertain. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.