Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Growler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Which version of GIMP works well with MacOS 10.12 Sierra?

Current version is 2.8.18 but, I read that the last stable version that works with Sierra is 2.8.14.

https://www.gimp.org

Is GIMP blocked from installing due to being an unknown developer? That is what I get when try to open the dmg.

I thought the way around this black was to go to System Preferences/Security & Privacy/General Tab and change the setting from allow apps downloaded from App Store & identified developers to allow from anywhere.

http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/27/allow-apps-from-anywhere-macos-gatekeeper/

Requires enabling that 3rd choice using Terminal command.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
If you right click on the file, the open command will prompt you and then allow you to run unsigned apps without having to mess about with gatekeeper.
You only need to do that once - after that, the app will open normally with a double click

Reactions: ardchoille50

Growler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Yes, I saw a few comments re this in that article I linked.

Seems a better method of running apps with unidentified developers vs. changing the gatekeeper options via Terminal.

Have you used GIMP?

Thanks!

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I don't really use GIMP much but do have it installed on my rMB running Sierra (version 2.8.18) and it seems to run fine

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I'm using 2.8.4 and the only problem I have (both in Yosemite and Sierra) is that when trying to change the file name when saving, only a few letters work. The other ones and the numbers activate menu shortcuts. I would hope that the problem has been fixed in more updated versions though.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
If you right click on the file, the open command will prompt you and then allow you to run unsigned apps without having to mess about with gatekeeper.
You only need to do that once - after that, the app will open normally with a double click
I can confirm this works in Sierra. I've been using GIMP on every version of OS X and macOS since Mavericks and haven't seen any problems - I also never fiddle with gatekeeper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.