Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
When I d/l'd GizmoCall's .dmg last night for an Adobe Flash plug-in to enable using their newly-debuted free VOIP plan, everything initially proceeded as expected. But, when I attempted to use the service, two unexpected anomalies: 1) Although my calls were made and completed sucessfully, their site kept saying the plug-in had not been properly installed & asked if I wanted to re-install it; and 2) this screenshot shows my other confusion -- what do I do now?

Attachments

• GIZMO_CONFUSION.jpg
    GIZMO_CONFUSION.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 115

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
When I d/l'd GizmoCall's .dmg last night......

One final postscript to this & I'm off to the races:

1) In case anyone else wants to give it a go, the GizmoCall debut is today, at https://www.gizmocall.com/ -- pretty cool, (mostly) free VOIP -- working fine despite the dishevelment I've made of it (q.v. the first post)

2) If you design or come across a Widget for GizmoCall, give me a heads up.

'Ta! ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Try doubleclicking the .prefpane file. If that works, you should go to system preferences and see a preference pane at the bottom with the GizmoCall name. That's what .prefpane files do. Then adjust settings in there to make it work. If you did try doubleclicking the file, but didn't go to sys prefs, go straight there now.

When you've got it in your sys prefs, you can hit the eject icon next to the white gizmocall disk image on the left side of Finder.

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
Thanks, MK!

Any ideas about why the GizmoCall site isn't recognizing the plug-in? They keep asking if I want to re-install it, but then the VOIP calls are completed anyway.

Hopefully, someone else in the MR 'hood will take GizmoCall for a test drive soon and share how it went. Since it's being billed as working with any browser, I'd like to know how other Mac users fare. All the major telecom and VOIP bloggers are mostly enthusiastic, but no one's really reported back yet on their Day 2 experience. ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Wait... in your very first post, you said that you needed to download a Flash plugin. Did you also download the Flash plugin itself? That thing that you posted a picture of -- the .prefpane file -- is NOT Adobe Flash.

You can get Adobe Flash from Adobe's website. If you're not sure if you have Flash installed, check this page:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

You should see separate embedded objects for Shockwave (upper) and Flash (lower). If they're not there, you should get something indicating you don't have Flash. You'll be downloading Flash directly from Adobe.

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
'Ta, again, MK!

To review: I thought I'd already loaded the Adobe Flash plug-in last September, but when I first logged in to GizmoCall, the site said I didn't have it (didn't recognise it?) and asked if I wanted to load it via them. Did that; ended up with the melee' pictured in my first post in this thread. Lo and behold, EVERY time I used GC to make a call: (1) Another message asking if I wanted to re-install AF yet, despite the fact I did not re-install the allegedly missing plug-in, the calls were successfully made and completed.

If I read you correctly, my best bet might be to double-check that I've removed all traces of GC's AF plug-in (fairly sure I accomplished that earlier today), then re-install the AF 9 directly from Adobe. Have I got that right?

:::how does something so apparently simple become so complicated::: :confused:

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
Wait... in your very first post, you said that you needed to download a Flash plugin. Did you also download the Flash plugin itself? That thing that you posted a picture of -- the .prefpane file -- is NOT Adobe Flash.

You can get Adobe Flash from Adobe's website. If you're not sure if you have Flash installed, check this page:

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

You should see separate embedded objects for Shockwave (upper) and Flash (lower). If they're not there, you should get something indicating you don't have Flash. You'll be downloading Flash directly from Adobe.

Also, to clarify: it may not be readily apparent from my screenshot that 2 windows are pictured -- the left window is my main Finder window showing the upper left portion (everything above Home). That window shows where GizmoCall's d/l of the AF 9 landed; they've "branded" it as GizmoCall Plug-in. When I double-clicked it, the right-hand window popped up, with the pref pane (BTW, the only "preference" is a Y/N indicator re having GC activate at log-in. That's it.) Meanwhile,(until I deleted all the GC stuff earlier today), both the .dmg and the white rectangular thingy (drat, what is that called? .....so brain dead) were still on my desktop, awaiting a home -- wouldn't green-plus into Apps or HD.

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
MK,

Followed the link you provided, here are the results. If I read this correctly, I already have the Adobe Flash plug-in; if so, then why doesn't GizmoCall site twig that? BTW, your assistance on this is *MUCH* appreciated, MK!

Attachments

• Snapshot 2007-01-31 14-30-50.jpg
    Snapshot 2007-01-31 14-30-50.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 65

markp2007

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2007
I'd like to help

All,

First of all thanks for trying the product. I work for SIPphone, the creators of Gizmocall.com. The Mac Plugin should install as follows:

1) Flash 9 needs to be installed
2) The Flash movie should prompt the user to download the plugin gizmocall.dmg
3) Open gizmocall.dmg, a screen will appear and ask you to double click the gizmoplugin.prefPane icon.
4) The OS may ask you if you want to install it for the current user or all users, select either
5) You should now be in the System Preferences and GizmoPlugin should be started

Please let me know what steps did not work for you.

-Regards

Mark

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
Mark,

Glad you dropped in, mate, & I appreciate the straightforward instructions.

As you saw from this thread, I liked using GizmoCall & look forward to using it again soon. The recurring problem I seemed to encounter yesterday was the GC site's non-recognition of the AF 9 plug-in I'd installed in Sept. 06. I use a lot flash sites & functions, check regularly for updates, and haven't had the dubious pleasure of flash failure. The GC site, with each call I made (3-4 after registering and logging in) kept asking if I wanted to re-install. That, plus the clumsy install, hampered my enthusiasm.

Will check back later today with an update for you. I've deleted all the GizmoCall goodies since the muddle (see my first post in this thread), so with your instructions and a clean slate, maybe I'm off to a better start this time. :D

markp2007

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2007
Lets check the plugin version

I'm always glad to help. This is a brand new product for us so feedback from users like you is great. So far I have not been able to reproduce the issue on my Mac Book Pro using FF or Safari. I handed the issue over to QA and they are able to produce a similar issue on their macs. I'll update this post soon with news of a fix. Until then I have given a brief explanation of the problem and instructions to reinstall, that may make it better. Also information on your version of the plug-in will help me as well.

What could be going wrong:
--------------------------
We have seen this issue before with pre-release versions of the plug-in. What could be happening is that the plug-in stopped communicating with the flash movie. The movie thinks there is something wrong with the plug-in and displays the "re-install" message. This is not how it should work. Sorry for the problem regardless.

Suggestions for now:
--------------------
If you already have removed the plugin. Check the activity monitor to make sure the process gizmoplugin is not running (just for good measure).

Re-download the plugin and install. Go to System Preferences and select the gizmo plugin and view "About". The version number should be 1.0.0.12 as of this posting. This version was put out yesterday, so it may help.

If you have not removed the plugin yet. Let me know what the version number is.

Thanks again for your patience. If you let me know what email address you used to register with Gizmocall I can give you some CallOut credit so you can make calls longer than 10 minutes.

-Regards

Mark

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
MarkP,

Am following up on all your suggestions right now and I enabled MR private messaging (first time ever!) just so I could transmit my personal e-mail address directly to you. I'll report back to the thread on how the GizmoCall redux goes. Again, your assist on this --and the GC team's pursuit of quality-- is impressive. My best regards to all there and at Sip. U R :cool:

:::::::::
Great News! All is well, the install is a success with the 1.0.0.12 version -- tested a couple more calls, then logged into my account and tested GC to several of my business numbers. Wasn't asked to re-install with each successive call.

Only 2 remaining questions: where can I park this (qv attachment)? It's in my sidebar and on my desktop now, but I'd much rather have a widget for the widget bar and/or an icon to park in my menu bar or dock. Anything possible on this??

BTW, my greetings to Jasmine the dog. She deserves praise, too ;-)

Attachments

• gizmo_plugin.jpg
    gizmo_plugin.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 222

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
....Only 2 remaining questions: where can I park this (qv attachment)? It's in my sidebar and on my desktop now, but I'd much rather have a widget for the widget bar and/or an icon to park in my menu bar or dock. Anything possible on this??....

For the 140+ folks following this thread, after double-/triple-checking that the GizmoCall plug-in was properly installed and following its path to '/volumes/ (or something reasonably like that) AND seeing the GC icon under "Other" in System Preferences, I ejected the .dmg's, made a couple more test calls at GizmoCall.com, and ***it still works!!!*** Huzzah :D

Still waiting on word from MarkP and Jasmine T. Dog at GC for a widget/icon. Meanwhile, I'm ditching Skype; GizmoCall suits my needs perfectly. Yes, Day 1 was a bit bumpy, but Day 2 of their debut is MUCH brighter.

~^~

markp2007

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2007
A widget currently under consideration for Gizmocall. Ahead of that right now is Linux support. Please let me know if there are further issues. Jasmine the dog(we are lucky enough to have an office dog) and the team are ready to help.

Also to answer the question about calling. Every user can get up to 10 minutes/day of FREE calling to almost any landline/mobile phone in the world.

-Regards

Markp2007

Attachments

• JasminetheDog.JPG
    JasminetheDog.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 71

GITANAJAVA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Have ibrik, will travel.
MarkP,

You, the GC crew, and Jasmine T. Dog rock :)

Thanks for the update, I'll watch for the widget. PM'd you my direct e-line. Now, I'm off to GC some mates. Ciao, and best to all @ GC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.