Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Don't take his words too seriously. There was this whole Canon Mark III thing, and he did get Canon to fix issues and it is fixed and done with, but he still slaps it down. I wouldn't trust his knowledge with high end computers, cameras on the other hand .... maybe.:apple:

geez, is it possible that a professional photographer might know something about color reproduction.....I too do not trust his knowledge of hardware, but he just might know something about screens...

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The guy who wrote that article is pretty much a fool and most of it is total bs.

Some examples:

BS 1: "Photoshop CS4 users will appreciate the beefier graphics subsystem"
Photoshop mainly uses the CPU not the graphics cards

BS 2: "The only significant colour error is in reds and oranges, which are considerably skewed in both hue and saturation and really don't look right on this display"
Probably because he didnt bother to calibrate his screen or modify the alpha settings as everyone should do when buying a Macbook/Macbook Pro

BS 3: How the hell can you even compare a Dell with an Atom processor with an Apple Macbook Pro with a Core 2 Duo?!?!?

Its a screen comparison... read the article. The guy is not comparing the Mini to a MBP....just the screens...

The guy has got cred, he is a well know professional photographer, might know jack about computer hardware, but you can trust his judgement when it comes to looking at pictures on a screen. Who else on this thread is a professional photographer??

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
They are offering matte option on their 17'' MBPs. Perhaps sanity will prevail and they will start doing the same with the rest of the line...

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
geez, is it possible that a professional photographer might know something about color reproduction.....I too do not trust his knowledge of hardware, but he just might know something about screens...

A pro photographer shouldn't be doing ANY critical work on there laptop screen, you will never get consistent results. You need an external monitor. I can see where the glossy would suck if you were out in the field and needed to show clients examples and there were reflections.

IMHO if you can control the light source the glossy screen is better. You can calibrate it just easy as a any other screen.

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
A pro photographer shouldn't be doing ANY critical work on there laptop screen, you will never get consistent results. You need an external monitor. I can see where the glossy would suck if you were out in the field and needed to show clients examples and there were reflections.

IMHO if you can control the light source the glossy screen is better. You can calibrate it just easy as a any other screen.

If you actually read the article, he addresses these issues.

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
If you actually read the article, he addresses these issues.

Don't waste your time. It's the usual argument zealots use to justify the glass-only choice: they don't even understand that there are a plenty of photographers who are continuously moving... they think that only wedding photographers exist.

Furthermore, it depends on where you print your pictures...

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Its a screen comparison... read the article. The guy is not comparing the Mini to a MBP....just the screens...

The guy has got cred, he is a well know professional photographer, might know jack about computer hardware, but you can trust his judgement when it comes to looking at pictures on a screen. Who else on this thread is a professional photographer??

I agree completely. While I love my MBP, I respect Rob's judgement and articles. He is the one you really pushed the Canon 1D Mark III focus problem into the spotlight when Canon tried to deny it (I had one of these cameras, it truly had problems). And to clarify, he said the Mini had better (more accurate) color, but much worse viewing angles. I would not necessarily characterize this as the title of the thread. He didn't say it was better, he said it had more accurate color, but was worse in some other areas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.