Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macNEWBIEswitch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Well, I am used to glossy but noticed that the MBP comes standard with matte whereas MB doesn't offer. Got this crazy idea that because the Pro offers then matte must be better?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
No, matte just tends to be favored by professionals who need the best color and image quality. It's more of a matter of personal preference, though, so I'd recommend just going in to an Apple Store and comparing and contrasting.

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
If you do a search on this topic, there are a TON of posts out there about this. Happy (long) reading!

Shotgun Pete

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada
If you arent doing professional video or photo work get the glossy, it looks AMAZING and I have never had a glare problem. Even for doing photos its great for home use and touching up with iPhoto, I have just heard professional users require the matte.

macNEWBIEswitch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
If you have to ask, go with matte.

What if I just "wanted" to ask?

No, but really, I'm not a pro, but my plans are as follows:

I'm an ordained minister, love the Scriptures, and love talking to people. I plan on buying the newest HD camcorder, taking it to the streets with a small team, and asking questions (of eternal value) and recording the conversations. Then I will put together mini-shows with a theme and sometimes just use the clips during a sermon, etc.

Now, with the HD and now I'm also possibly leaning towards the 17" MBP, what do you recommend... and I "WANT" to know!! :)

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
If you're going to be doing major video editing, the 17'' is the way to go. The extra real estate REALLY comes in handy in my experience anyway...of course, being an ordained minister, you may not have the funds that are required for a 17'' MBP, but if so, go for it!

hqsbud

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2003
What if I just "wanted" to ask?

No, but really, I'm not a pro, but my plans are as follows:

I'm an ordained minister, love the Scriptures, and love talking to people. I plan on buying the newest HD camcorder, taking it to the streets with a small team, and asking questions (of eternal value) and recording the conversations. Then I will put together mini-shows with a theme and sometimes just use the clips during a sermon, etc.

Now, with the HD and now I'm also possibly leaning towards the 17" MBP, what do you recommend... and I "WANT" to know!! :)

If you can get to an Apple store, I don't think there's any substitute for actually seeing both. After I got a MacBook for my daughter, I was dead set against a glossy for my own MacBook Pro because the useful viewing angle was so small. But when I saw a glossy MacBook Pro in an Apple store, I was sold, as the MacBook Pro glossy screen has a very wide useful viewing angle.

For your uses, I don't think I would sweat the decision too much. You'll be happy with either. The main difference between the two is that the glossy screen has deeper blacks than the matte, and another thread somewhere here demonstrated that the glossy is easier to see in outdoor light, which matches my experience when compared to my Powerbook G4 (which is a dangerous comparison as the Powerbook G4's screen is a year and a half older).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.