Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
AliensAreFuzzy said:
That's pretty cool. It'd go great with my Griffin Powermate
I've e-mailed them and asked for images of both the blue and white glowing skirts in the dark, so we can compare them... if they send me images, I'll post 'em here. (I think I'll get a white one, since blue would be out of place in my office.)

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Looks great, but it uses up one of the two USB ports of the mini. It'd be great if it included a 4 or 6 port USB hub.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
It looks pretty cool, but then again you're wasting 50% of your available usb ports just to have a glowie thing under your computer. Seems kinda frivilous to me. Now if it doubled as a usb hub in the back.....

edit: sorry... guess jrv3034 got to it before I could hit send.... well you know what they say about great minds. :D

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I guess that's why the cord's so long... if you have a hub, the cord can reach from it back to the Mac mini.

If you're like me and are only using one USB port, it's not a problem. :)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Yeah, should be like the U.F.O. from XtremeMac that was made for the iMac G4. It had a both a USB and FW hub inside. And ports hidden behind sliding doors in the front.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Most useless accessory ever. As said earlier, it should have USB ports on it to make it functional.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Chip NoVaMac said:
This and their Grandstand concern me about heat dissipation. Apple seems to indicate that the top needs to be clear of obstructions for cooling.

No, the top needs to not have any metal devices on top, because they obstruct wireless signals. The mini is cooled with intake ports on the bottom, and a exit port on the back. The top has nothing to do with cooling

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the monitor stands are great for the mini, imo, they are very functional and make great sense if you ask me, now i just need to save my $ and get a nice monitor and a mini, or maybe ill just go with an imac G5 who knows

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
mkrishnan said:
That tower is giving me shades of the Cube! :) But probably not quite as pretty.

I can see it now. Someone, in a backroom somewhere, is figuring out how to put a Mac mini (or two or three) into a Cube case...

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
JoeUK said:
That's worse than chav cars with glowy lights on the bottom.

Exactly what I thought! The monitor stand looks to be quite functional (aside from the heat dissipation issue) but the 'skirt' strikes me as frivolous accessorising.

stoid

macrumors 601
dejo said:
I can see it now. Someone, in a backroom somewhere, is figuring out how to put a Mac mini (or two or three) into a Cube case...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Mac Mini should fit nicely in that clear riser underneath the Cube. :D

Quick Photoshop, but I think I got the dimensions pretty close.

Attachments

• G4Cube_2.jpg
    G4Cube_2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 68

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
stoid said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a Mac Mini should fit nicely in that clear riser underneath the Cube. :D

Quick Photoshop, but I think I got the dimensions pretty close.

i would think that the mini would be too tall, but i then again i could be wrong about that

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
PlaceofDis said:
i would think that the mini would be too tall, but i then again i could be wrong about that

i believe there were real pictures of a mini in that exact position under a Cube... i think it fits just fine

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Logik said:
i believe there were real pictures of a mini in that exact position under a Cube... i think it fits just fine

Here is an article...hmmm...it might yet be more fun to take the Cube out and put in four or five Minis.... :) Although it's slightly undersized compared to the cube footprint. Clearly yet another case where Apple has not considered the needs of the enthusiast. :rolleyes:

http://android8.users.whitehat.dk/wordpress/index.php?p=301

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
mkrishnan said:
Here is an article...hmmm...it might yet be more fun to take the Cube out and put in four or five Minis.... :) Although it's slightly undersized compared to the cube footprint. Clearly yet another case where Apple has not considered the needs of the enthusiast. :rolleyes:

http://android8.users.whitehat.dk/wordpress/index.php?p=301

well then, that is totally my mistake i see, i have yet to see a mini in person so i didnt know how it would work with a cute, it would be cool if you could stack minis, but i doubt that would be good for the machine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.