Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oober_freak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Indian Ocean
Today, I downloaded and installed the J2SE 5.0 update(Release 4). But, after installing this update, I can't login into my Gmail account. I have tried to open Gmail on Safari, Camino, Firefox, Opera and Shirra. However, I get the same error i.e.

This seems to be taking longer than usual. Your session may have been interrupted. If your account doesn't appear in the next few seconds, please refresh this page in your browser.

I have tried clearing the cache but to no avail.

Apple says that this update changes the default version of Java virtual machine from Java 1.4.2 to Java 5.0.

I tried selecting Java 1.4.2 as the preferred version in Java Application Runtime Settings in the Java Preferences application(Utilities/Java/J2SE 5.0/) but still I can't login into Gmail.

Is any one else facing this problem? How Do i roll back to J2SE 5.0 Release 3?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I have no problems logging into and working in GMail using Firefox 1.5.0.2 under Mac OS X 10.4.6 with Java 1.5.0_06...

Have you tried logging into another user account on your Mac to see if you can access GMail then...?

oober_freak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Indian Ocean
I tried accessing gmail from the admin account(I use a standard account), but to no avail. It still shows the same error.

Before updating Java, I was able to log into gmail. After the update, I couldn't login even a single time.

-Anand

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I really don't think it has anything to do with Java, per se. Maybe it messed up your system. But no guarantee that a rollback, even if it were possible, would help. You could archive and install.... But...heh. I'm just not sure that it would help.

The Senator

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
Virginia
gmail does go down somtimes, and i have trouble logging in. one day it went down i tried it on my macbook then on my pc then on my friends computers, and still wouldnt work. Gmail dosent work all the time

oober_freak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Indian Ocean
The Senator said:
gmail does go down somtimes, and i have trouble logging in. one day it went down i tried it on my macbook then on my pc then on my friends computers, and still wouldnt work. Gmail dosent work all the time

I accessed it on my neighbour's PC and it works just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.