Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tflint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
I am unable to connect to my Gmail account on my iPad on my wireless network. I am using a Time Capsule and have the same problem on my iPhone whenever I connect it to my network. I can connect to it just fine when I am on the 3G network so I am assuming there is something wrong with the Time Capsule. Perhaps some ports or something that needs to be opened? Anybody have any helpful ideas on getting my iPad to connect to my Gmail account through my Time Capsule?

Thanks in advance.

pup975

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Are you able to connect to Gmail with a normal laptop or computer on your network?

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
Im assuming your internet Is working fine on your iPad? What does it say when you entered your Gmail setting on your iPad? What happens when you try to retrieve mail?

tflint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Just to clarify I am trying to connect to Gmail through the Mail app and yes my iPad is connecting to the Internet through my Time Capsule just fine. When I try and add my Gmail account it says:

"Cannot Connect Using SSL"

It asks me if I want to try setting up the account without SSL. I select yes and it says:

"The IMAP server "imap.gmail.com is not responding. Check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in the Incoming Mail Server field"

tflint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
I brought my iPad to work today and was able to connect the Mail app to my Gmail account no problem, so it is definitely something to do with my Time Capsule settings blocking it from going through. Anybody have any suggestions on what I need to change on my Time Capsule?

tflint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
I have been able to set up another e-mail address through the Mail App on my iPad (Comcast e-mail) so it doesn't look like the setting on my Time Capsule are the issue. It appears to be the Comcast server preventing me from connecting with the Gmail server. I called Comcast and they told me it doesn't look like I will be able to connect to the Gmail Server which I don't believe. Anybody else able to connect to their Gmail account on the Mail App while using Comcast Internet? What did you have to do to make it work?

MacVDS

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Philomath Oregeon
I have been able to set up another e-mail address through the Mail App on my iPad (Comcast e-mail) so it doesn't look like the setting on my Time Capsule are the issue. It appears to be the Comcast server preventing me from connecting with the Gmail server. I called Comcast and they told me it doesn't look like I will be able to connect to the Gmail Server which I don't believe. Anybody else able to connect to their Gmail account on the Mail App while using Comcast Internet? What did you have to do to make it work?

Yes, I can. I have my Comcast email forwarded to my gmail account and I get all the gMail messages just fine. All I did was select the gmail and type in m gmail email address and password. I did have to go into my comcast email settings and set it to forward all messages to my gmail account. This works fine on my iTouch too. Not sure if that helps at all.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
I setup my account as Exchange using Gmail - worked great. FMI go to Google's support pages.

Mitchrapp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2010
I never could get my hotmail account to work so I forwarded it to gmail and then set up gmail, easy.

pitzer8

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Solution!

I was unable to connect my Ipad to my gmail account and then this method worked:

1. Creat Other Account
2. Create a popmail account
3. enter... pop.gmail.com, full email, and password for incoming
4. enter... smtp.gmail.com, full email, and password for outgoing

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.