Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikosk

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
Two questions...

I have the Outlook.com workaround up and running, nice to have push back for Gmail.

Is there a way to sync the changes from your iPhone back to your Gmail account? I only send and receive Gmail on my iPhone via the Outlook account for push reasons. Works well, but do I need to manually update my Gmail account online with all the read changes?

Also, when I send from my Outlook account on my iPhone, it shows up as sent from Gmail but also adds "sent by hotmail_xxxxx@live.com". Is there a way to remove this?

Sent email from Outlook show up as being sent from Gmail as noted above but they aren't showing in my Sent items in the Gmail online account. I believe it's related to the redirect but is there a way to get it to show in my Gmail sent items when I send from my phone?

Push is back but these mailbox syncing issues may not be worth it.

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
I have the Outlook.com workaround up and running, nice to have push back for Gmail.

Is there a way to sync the changes from your iPhone back to your Gmail account? I only send and receive Gmail on my iPhone via the Outlook account for push reasons. Works well, but do I need to manually update my Gmail account online with all the read changes?

Also, when I send from my Outlook account on my iPhone, it shows up as sent from Gmail but also adds "sent by hotmail_xxxxx@live.com". Is there a way to remove this?

Sent email from Outlook show up as being sent from Gmail as noted above but they aren't showing in my Sent items in the Gmail online account. I believe it's related to the redirect but is there a way to get it to show in my Gmail sent items when I send from my phone?

Push is back but these mailbox syncing issues may not be worth it.

In forwarding option, mark gmail as read, that will be mark gmail email as read automatically.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I like the new iOS 7 Mail app but it STILL has tons of trouble searching my Gmail mailboxes. If something is in the All Mail folder the built-in Mail.app simply doesn't find it. I keep the Gmail app around when I need to search for older messages. :-\

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
mikosk;17966334 Also said:
hotmail_xxxxx@live.com[/email]". Is there a way to remove this?

Yes. Add the gmail account as a send only account in outlook.com and jump through the hoops to verify your account.

mikosk

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
Yes. Add the gmail account as a send only account in outlook.com and jump through the hoops to verify your account.

I was able to remove the "sent by" attribute but had to change my gmail account to a Send and Receive type account in Outlook.com. I was then able to change the smtp server to gmail and can now send regular gmail from my outlook account on my iphone.

I still have to forward my email from Gmail to Outlook, I have enabled POP to get the messages but it's slow. It's still getting the email as I type...

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I just can't have so many email apps on my phone. One email app for all of them (gmail, yahoo, iCloud, hotmail, etc) is what I want. If anyone knows any unified email app for iOS that does it better then the one that comes with the iPhone, I would love to know.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks. I saw that thread, but for my needs, I thought I had a workaround slightly different. May be able to leverage it though for sending.

The #1 thing that I would like to be able to do is:
  • Use the native iPhone email app
  • Use my Gmail account to send emails
  • Have those emails send from my personal xxx@yyy.com account and not from xxx@gmail.com

In the Gmail web interface, I have it set up so when I send an email through the web interface, the recipient sees it as from xxx@yyy.com. Using the actual Gmail app it actually must tie in and works fine this way. But when sending from the native iPhone app, it always comes from xxx@gmail.com.

I've messed around with SMTP settings and so on, but just can't figure this out.

Just as a follow up, I found a link on the web that described how to set up sending from an alias. Working perfectly for me!

http://www.imore.com/daily-tip-set-gmail-alias

Only think missing is receiving to my Gmail via push which sounds like it isn't gonna happen. I set up the Gmail app to notify me (badge, ding, vibrate) when I get an e-mail (since it is push to that app) and turned off ding and vibrate for the native app (badge is still on though). At least the Gmail app will notify me and then I just go into the native mail app to retrieve and read the message. Once read, both badges update back to zero.

Again, not push to the native app, but at least everything is within Gmail and no dicking around forwarding mail between different services.

spotsphill

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2009
Send mail as

So my previous iPhone setups (pre and post Exchange) I had my Gmail account set up with an alternate email address (alias) as the default address when I sent a new email from the stock mail app. On my iPhone 5S this is no longer the case. What changed? I've been digging and digging and I can't seem to find the setting I need to change to make this work. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks! And please, no "use Mailbox" comments -- that's not a solution, it's an alternative (which is not for everyone).

liteshow

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
I use the Gmail App.

Pros: push notification, efficient IMAP-idle (uses very little data compared to exchange), better organized inbox than stock mail app.

Cons: can't change notification sound or customize vibration, slow when launching app ( but once it is opened, it is about same speed as built in mail app).

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm currently using the Mail.app. For a while, once Google gave Push to the Gmail.app, I was using that.

I tried Mailbox a couple of times, including last week, but decided on the default Mail.app.

Time Less

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Planet Earth
I have a new device so I no longer have exchange for my gmail. I tried the workaround with outlook and it works, but sometimes I would either get Gmail messages instantly or a delay of 10-15 minutes. There were also a couple emails that I never got at all. Another thing that bothers me is that I would have to login to my gmail account to do some maintence like trashing some emails I don't want. I like everything unified and I feel like this method is messy. Yeah I know that beggars can't be choosers but after having push gmail for a long time, it really sucks not having it.

Now I'm using the gmail app for push. I turned off badge app and disabled show in notification. I also set up the same gmail account in the mail app but set fetch to every hour. When I get an email I open the mail app instead because I like it much better. Trash or keep, my mailbox will be synced. I don't know how long till I get tired of this but it'll do for now.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
So my previous iPhone setups (pre and post Exchange) I had my Gmail account set up with an alternate email address (alias) as the default address when I sent a new email from the stock mail app. On my iPhone 5S this is no longer the case. What changed? I've been digging and digging and I can't seem to find the setting I need to change to make this work. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks! And please, no "use Mailbox" comments -- that's not a solution, it's an alternative (which is not for everyone).

Seems like Google's moved a lot of these pages/device-specific settings around (and removed some too.) I'm a paying Google Apps customer and for the life of me I can no longer find the "Send Mail As" checkbox on any of the old Google pages. All I see is checkboxes for multiple Calendar selection.

However, I think I've figured out how to have a different "Send Mail As" address, and that's by setting up the account on iOS as an "Other - IMAP" account, instead of Exchange or Gmail. The "email address" I enter is that alternate one. And "user name" is the underlying email address I'm logging into, along with that matching Gmail password.

Hope this helps!

spotsphill

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2009
However, I think I've figured out how to have a different "Send Mail As" address, and that's by setting up the account on iOS as an "Other - IMAP" account, instead of Exchange or Gmail. The "email address" I enter is that alternate one. And "user name" is the underlying email address I'm logging into, along with that matching Gmail password.

What do you use for "Incoming Mail Server/Host Name" and "Outgoing Mail Server/Host Name/User Name/Password" ?

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
What do you use for "Incoming Mail Server/Host Name" and "Outgoing Mail Server/Host Name/User Name/Password" ?

Incoming mail server: imap.gmail.com
Outgoing mail server: smtp.gmail.com

Username: Gmail address/login
Password: Gmail password

This seems to work for me. With the "email address" set as the alternate return address I'd like to "send mail as."

I don't understand why Gmail removed "Send Mail As" support from the Exchange setup for PAYING Google Apps customers.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Gmail users, will you use the iOS 7 Mail app and suffer the 15 minute fetch wait time, or use the official Gmail app and enjoy push email?

neither. I forwarded my Gmail to my outlook.com e-mail address that pushes natively to the iOS Mail App.

tokihammer

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2013
Gmail App Notification Sounds

Is there any any ANY email app out there (except the native app) that will let you customize notification sounds??? Gmail user here, too.

Boxer, Mailbox and the Gmail app do not.

I'm having the same issue. I'm using the Gmail app, and have set the sound to be one thing, but I'm getting the "messages" sound instead as set up in Settings. I like the Gmail app just fine, and want to keep it separate from my Exchange account (so I can tell when I'm getting work emails vs. personal ones). Any way to do this?

iPhone 5S ios 7

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Gmail users... iOS 7 Mail app or Gmail app?

I'm having the same issue. I'm using the Gmail app, and have set the sound to be one thing, but I'm getting the "messages" sound instead as set up in Settings. I like the Gmail app just fine, and want to keep it separate from my Exchange account (so I can tell when I'm getting work emails vs. personal ones). Any way to do this?

iPhone 5S ios 7

In the iOS Mail app notification setting, you can change the incoming mail vibration and sound. I have a different sound for VIP list emails and the default for all my other emails.
You can view your emails in separate inboxes or a universal inbox.

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
In the iOS Mail app notification setting, you can change the incoming mail vibration and sound. I have a different sound for VIP list emails and the default for all my other emails.
You can view your emails in separate inboxes or a universal inbox.

He (clearly) stated he's using the Gmail app, not the iOS Mail app, though.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Use both

I've been using both and I'm happiest this way.

iOS Mail app if I nede to be quick about replying to something/writing something (hate waiting for gmail to load).

Gmail app if I need to search for something or want to organize my mail.

Gmail app for notifications.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.