Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
The software is crap and lets down this product. I'll pass for now.

how can you even say that, the product isn't even out yet, it was just announced and coming later this month.

who buys at MSRP anymore?

everyone in this forum at least since most of us at least own an iphone or ipad

sorry just had to bust your balls, no offense intended

My big question is if the AV cables can be used, the component or composite ones from Apple.

This means you could be at a friends home or hotel, connect your iPhone/iPad to a TV and stream movies from the drive.

I assume you could do it through Safari since that supports Video Out feature, since Safari is a built in iOS app, it gets all the perks from Apple.

Additionally, I am curious if you can open files from the hard drive, like Doc files with Goodreader or Pages through their app. If so, then this could sort of create a laptop replacement since road warriors could take all their files with them everywhere now. The big question is if you can save those files back to the drive.

My guess the price will come down a bit when it comes out, sure NewEgg will have it for $160ish.

well it looks like you may be able to open with other programs since in the demo video on their site they talk about using OPlayer for media

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
I think the airstash product offers up everything via a built-in web server. So there is no software to install. Just access via iPad's browser. That seemed like a neat idea to me. Perhaps there are limitations in accessing via a browser that I'm oblivious to.

With either Seagate or airstash, my issue would be that the external drive is not a seamless extension of the built-in iPad storage. So we have to deal with a different way to access media than the built-in Photo app or the music player. It would have been nice if Apple allowed for seamless addition of external storage.

Price wise, this is better than the Airstash. The Airstash doesn't come with an SD card and is limited to 32gb, which are about $45 a pop. The capacity of Seagate is definitely more viable but naturally the mobility is the big different between the two.

I agree, I would really like to know how the Seagate drive can be accessed by other Apps and if they can save files to them. If there is any one major drawback to iOS, it is the major limitations set upon the access of files outside of the App's access to the iPad/iPhone's own storage. I wish Apple would open this up a bit, as it could shift the perception of what the iPad could be used as, essentially a bit more of a highly portable laptop instead of a laptop addition.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
how can you even say that, the product isn't even out yet, it was just announced and coming later this month.

everyone in this forum at least since most of us at least own an iphone or ipad

sorry just had to bust your balls, no offense intended

well it looks like you may be able to open with other programs since in the demo video on their site they talk about using OPlayer for media

Well, I use a piece of software on my local network that allows me to access my Mac's files through Safari on my iPhone or iPad, and if I open a video through Safari, I can use the AV cable to do the Video Out feature to any TV. So there is no doubt, one way or another (because you can access the videos on the drive through the web server in Safari) you can watch videos through Safari to the TV using this drive, which ups the use of it all together in my book.

Also, anyone with a laptop in the network can watch movies, in a car or a home, so this is nice that it is not limited to phones and tablets.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Don't think the airlines would let you as it may interfere with their instruments.

I know they do it as a caution, but since it's probably untested?

Not a problem. Most airlines have their own wifi offerings on-board now.

Perfectly safe.

sineplex

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2010

I've seen enough videos already to know that this is really just a beta quality software product and has a long way to go. Also Jobs' walled kindergarden doesn't help either. People will naturally at first be seduced by the whole idea. But it's not good enough yet for the real world and just does not offer enough. I'll just stick with wifi streaming from the desktop to the ipad.

tritonj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I've seen enough videos already to know that this is really just a beta quality software product and has a long way to go. Also Jobs' walled kindergarden doesn't help either. People will naturally at first be seduced by the whole idea. But it's not good enough yet for the real world and just does not offer enough. I'll just stick with wifi streaming from the desktop to the ipad.

too bad you can't take your desktop with you on travel

and when you say software are you talking about the webserver or the iOS app?

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
What about a MiFi router with built-in MicroSD card? It would only give you 32GB but let's you access 3G networks as well.

yodaxl7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2010
Not bad, not great, either. The app needs more work. Plus, if they can have apps install on their and being used on the iPad, that would be awesome. If they could make that happen, then I would buy it.

Phil-82

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
Ontario, Canada
What about a MiFi router with built-in MicroSD card? It would only give you 32GB but let's you access 3G networks as well.

Good idea.

As for the product, I'm sticking to the 64 gb. The fact that you wouldnt be able to go on wifi at the same time because it transfers via wifi turns me off.

Plus, when you stream you probably use up a lot of battery compared to playback off the built in 64gb harddrive, and battery life is important.

Id rather just buy this for 70$ and use a cloud

http://www.isound.net/shop-by-type/accessories/i-sound-portable-power-16000-mah.html

chadua

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Is this device a wifi network, or does it connect to a wifi network. IOW, does this show up in the list of networks as something to connect to?

Because, if so, that means you have no internet access on your iPad while it's connected to this drive, because you can't be connected to 2 wifi networks at once, and also you can't use 3G and WiFi data at the same time.

Because you spend a lot of time surfing the internet on your ipad while you are watching movies on it?

EatSleepMac

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011
New York
Finally

Wow this makes me kinda sad that i sold my iPad. I had a 16gig first gen and it was great but i needed more space. Maybe in the future when i pick up my iPad 3 ill get one of these things.

fatboyslick

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Dumb quesiton here - do you need broadband WiFi for this to work eg in a hotel/house? Or does the device provide it's own little network just for the streaming?

I ask because in the photo someone is in a car and the last time I checked my car doesnt have it's own broadband connection with WiFi :rolleyes:

blackreplica

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Dumb quesiton here - do you need broadband WiFi for this to work eg in a hotel/house? Or does the device provide it's own little network just for the streaming?

It hard drive makes it's own little network for your ipad to connect to. No other hardware required

obama3344

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
Good idea.

As for the product, I'm sticking to the 64 gb. The fact that you wouldnt be able to go on wifi at the same time because it transfers via wifi turns me off.

Plus, when you stream you probably use up a lot of battery compared to playback off the built in 64gb harddrive, and battery life is important.

Id rather just buy this for 70$ and use a cloud

http://www.isound.net/shop-by-type/accessories/i-sound-portable-power-16000-mah.html

Next one inline product: 1tb WIFI router portable storage with 4G. it will soon in ebay.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
This company appears to offer an SSD product. Although its storage is limited compared to the Seagate product, I like that it is small including a few extra SD cards I may have to carry.

If the typical use for an external drive is to carry some movies for airplane trips and such, this SSD-based product may be another option.

All I know is what their web page says. So I have no idea if it is real or how well it works.

This device is the right idea but with too many limitations. No wireless N, limited to 32 GB, slow...

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I suspect we'll start to see enclosures that offer WIFI so we can build our own device.

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Your 3TB drive is a full size drive designed for a desktop computer. The drive in this thing is a laptop sized hard drive designed for running on battery power. Hardly a comparison there, the 3TB drive is not available in a small form factor... The largest drive right now is 750 gigs (or maybe they have hit 1tb).... But those larger drives use more power, so probably wouldn't work well with this.

correct. this is a niche product that, when reduced in price, will be bought in droves by people who didn't think they needed it...

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
It doesn't work in the background, which kinda sucks. I like to listen to music while doing other things on the iPad.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
No, I don't find it an acceptable solution.

The beauty of the iPad is not having to carry anything but this nice thin, light tablet.

If I want to add weight and lug extra stuff around, I'll use my laptop instead. My laptop has 2 500 gig hardrives built-in, numeric keypad, a MUCH better processor, does absolutely everything including playing just about every imaginable game, has blu-ray and a really nice, 17" high resolution screen, and it only weighs 6 lbs.

Hmmm you just joined and your flaunting your system which has nothing to do with the thread. Yep your a troll

closetnerd4ever

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
Media Lovers' Dream-Come-True

I have one and I use it with my iTouch. I, personally, think that it's not the best to use with pictures/music. However, I think it's a great idea if you're using it for video. I love it because it frees up space on my iTouch for music and whatnot and I can still have all my movies with me without having to worry about excluding some of them because I don't have enough space on my iPod hard drive. It does take some work to convert the movies into playable formats but, I'm working on finding a full-proof way. http://closetnerd4ever.blogspot.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.