Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeApp1e

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2015
United Kingdom
Hello,

Was wondering if anyone could help me with my theory?

I'm currently with a network provider who charges for abroad use.

I'm going on holiday for a week shortly to a different country (aboard) but I found a network company who doesn't charge for aboard use.

Can I swap out my SIM card for a week to this different network? I have an unlocked phone since I brought directly from Apple.

I'm just wondering if it'll mess up my phone or apps switching to a different SIM card for a week.

Can anyone advise if this is a good idea?

Thanks,

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008
If the phone is unlocked (as you said) this shouldn't be a problem. We went to Italy (from USA) and bought Vodaphone SIMS for our phones. It worked fine and was a lot cheaper with more data than using Verizon.

It won't mess anything up other than swapping carriers.

DeApp1e

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2015
United Kingdom
If the phone is unlocked (as you said) this shouldn't be a problem. We went to Italy (from USA) and bought Vodaphone SIMS for our phones. It worked fine and was a lot cheaper with more data than using Verizon.

It won't mess anything up other than swapping carriers.

I'm guessing iMessage won't work since it'll be a different SIM?

Thanks for your response btw :)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

There would be a different phone number which you can associate with your Apple ID if you want, but people would need to know the number to message you. But if you have your email associated with Applr ID then that could be used for iMessage.

pmcjr

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2013

Since iMessage is Apple to Apple, it is SIM carrier irrelevant. Right? An ATT iPhone can iMessage a Verizon iPhone. Why would a foreign SIM be any different. I iMessage people in Singapore all the time. I'm in the US.

daflake

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2008

Messaging worked, but yes, it is a different number so you will have to let people know who you are if you are going via SMS.

DeApp1e

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 1, 2015
United Kingdom
There would be a different phone number which you can associate with your Apple ID if you want, but people would need to know the number to message you. But if you have your email associated with Applr ID then that could be used for iMessage.

Since iMessage is Apple to Apple, it is SIM carrier irrelevant. Right? An ATT iPhone can iMessage a Verizon iPhone. Why would a foreign SIM be any different. I iMessage people in Singapore all the time. I'm in the US.

Messaging worked, but yes, it is a different number so you will have to let people know who you are if you are going via SMS.

Thanks guys! Great help, will inform friends about my temporary number change. Will also do a full phone backup before holiday in-case the new SIM breaks any apps etc.

Reactions: daflake
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.