Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
I've dropped my phone a couple of times and it's never smashed. Maybe I've been lucky.

You've been lucky. If you dropped it the wrong way (it happens) you'd regret it. It's like people that don't backup their computer no matter how many times they're told they should. The backups usually start after their first catastrophe. I've seen it SOOO many times. You can be lucky forever... but you never know. Some aren't willing to risk it on a phone that would cost $800 to replace.

SellYourMacBook

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2012
lol get something the covers up every inch of that ugly gold...

or why dont you change your current iphone 5 to the rose gold frame?

LOOKs much much better!

solace

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2006
Thanks, I'll strive to post more informative posts just like yours.

I've dropped my phone a couple of times and it's never smashed. Maybe I've been lucky.

I just can't see the point of such a beautiful product being hid under an ugly case. I don't put bodywork from a fiat over my Rolls just in case I have a crash.

The mind boggles and these are, of course, just my opinions.

if you actually have a Rolls Royce, clearly money is no object for you.

I use a thin attractive case to make it easier to hold onto to and to get top dollar for my phone when I sell it every year to get a new one via early upgrade. It cost me $75 to upgrade from the 4S to the 5, and will be the same when I but my 5S on Friday.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Seeing that I don't want to carry so many things in my pocket (and let's face it: anything with a belt clip is so late 90s/2000s/Blackberryish. the phone is not an accessory), if it fits, I'll still consolidate my phone and wallet and get another BookBook from 12 South. I've had one for my 4S that still looks good; in fact a bit better than it looked out of the box, and that was distressed leather to begin with.

Hasn't let me down yet, and looks classy.

BL.

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
Seeing that I don't want to carry so many things in my pocket (and let's face it: anything with a belt clip is so late 90s/2000s/Blackberryish. the phone is not an accessory), if it fits, I'll still consolidate my phone and wallet and get another BookBook from 12 South. I've had one for my 4S that still looks good; in fact a bit better than it looked out of the box, and that was distressed leather to begin with.

Hasn't let me down yet, and looks classy.

BL.

I'm haven't used it, but so far I'm not a huge fan of how they redesigned the BookBook for the iPhone 5. You snap it into place now instead of slipping it into the leather slot. I take my phone out a lot because I use a armband for working out or when I dock it. I feel like snapping it into place will wear over time.

Also, for some reason the leather on the BookBook 5 just felt cheap and flimsier. Might just be me. I'm looking into the Pad & Quill Little Pocket Book just in case.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
this is the case you should be getting for protection and aesthetics, To show off that nice gold.

The sides are clear rubber like a bumper and the back is a solid super clear plastic.

http://www.amazon.com/LUVVITT®-CLEA...9104798&sr=8-1&keywords=luvvitt+iphone+5+case

I can't decide between this case or just a set of full-body skins. I like transparency but clear cases always turn an ugly oil yellow after a few months in my experience.

This doesn't happen with full body protectors but installation + possibly more costs = a pain.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I have a clear plastic case that I bought a few months ago when I thought I was going to get myself a 5 and it'll fit the 5s. But I don't think I'm going to use any sort of case with my 5s. I want to use the phone as Apple intended me to and not cover up the design they've put a lot of work into. Can't wait to get my gold 5s, 16GB!

----------

if you actually have a Rolls Royce, clearly money is no object for you.

I use a thin attractive case to make it easier to hold onto to and to get top dollar for my phone when I sell it every year to get a new one via early upgrade. It cost me $75 to upgrade from the 4S to the 5, and will be the same when I but my 5S on Friday.

If you sell it to a recycle site they'll give you 2/3 of the price back by the time of the next iPhone launch and they'll give you that price regardless of scratches. The phone just has to work and they'll take it.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
so why exactly are you getting a gold iphone if you're planning to cover it with some ugly case?

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
so why exactly are you getting a gold iphone if you're planning to cover it with some ugly case?

I'm not getting in gold to show off to anyone, if anything people will scoff at it but I just refer how it looks. I'd prefer to be able to see it though but have some protection against wear at the same time. May go for one of the leather apple ones

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
I will use my old 5 casings. Moshi iglaze armor gold, lenmar meridian 2300 mAh, RedAngel orange metal bumper, white liteproof, moshi crystal clear case and sector 5 silver metal bumper. Maybe sometimes naked whenever i'm in the mood.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Double checked with Stilgut as I currently have the black version. They say that the cases will fit despite the extra LED flash...I have my doubts having inspected it, but I'll go with them..I'm selling my 5 with the black case, so it's the Cognac to go with my Champagne 5S

Attachments

• IP5S Case.jpg
    IP5S Case.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 74

Inksworth

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
I ordered an eimolife Bamboo case for mine, this one basically:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NBO3UK

It's cheap enough that I won't feel bad if it breaks or doesn't look great. If this one doesn't work out long term, I may opt for a Switcheasy (though their 5-series cases either don't look good or are badly reviewed) as I've used them on all my previous iPhones.

Otherwise... I may jump on and get one of the leather ones from Apple. no idea on color. I thought the blue looked nice, but red would be cool too.

lienhart

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
No case for the first month or so :p It's too nice to be covered! Then I may just use some of my iPhone 5 cases since I don't want them to go to waste.

troubleonline

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
Who used cases in the 90's? Phones then were practically indestructible.

We used to call our friends phone the brick! He had one of the early Nokias and kept it for years.

Am going for an Apple leather case in Beige - will add to my order tonight. I think the brown would also be a good match with the gold phone.

lantheria

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008
i'm getting apple's black case. i messed around with the colour picker and liked the way it went with the gold. (once apple decides to ship a non-negligible amount of stock to australia, that is.)

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Cases? Cases? We don't need no stinkin' cases!

Mostly my iPhone will be naked with an investment in insurance. For other times, I carry it around in a leather sleeve from OneStarLeather.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.