Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm looking to buy an inexpensive label maker (applicator, really, I guess) for some DVDs I've been burning, but wasn't sure if there's really much difference between them.

Anybody bought some of the ones in the $10-$15 range, and did they work acceptably?

K-Mart has the Memorex CD/DVD compact Label Maker System (Amazon page) for about $16, but I read a review somewhere that said the Mac templates didn't work well.

I did find a few positive reviews of the Avery Afterburner (Amazon page), but can't find them locally so I'd have to wait for it to ship.

Anybody have experience with these or other CD/DVD labelers? Recommendations?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
personally i have always just used whatever stomper is lying around, and avery labels... i made my own templates, as they're for win word and don't convert well. a lot depends on technique, CD labeling can be difficult...

pnw

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Get one with a stomper that's all that really matters. It's a device with a spindle to put the disc on so that when the label is applied it goes on centered correctly.

The one I got is the CD Stomper. It came with software for Mac or PC so that you can just drag an image to the softwares layouts and have it print correctly to the labels.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
It's called a Sharpie. But I don't blame you if you're one of the millions who can write anything legible. Just note that if the cheap glue doesn't hold on the lable, you're gonna have a helluva time cleaning/fixing that CD/DVD player.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
It's called a Sharpie. But I don't blame you if you're one of the millions who can write anything legible. Just note that if the cheap glue doesn't hold on the lable, you're gonna have a helluva time cleaning/fixing that CD/DVD player.

Sharpie's can react w/the dye used in DVDs and destroy them over time. It's best to use a "dvd safe" felt-tip marker.

And I agree about the labels. I'd never use stick-on labels for DVDs. If you don't get it centered it can unbalance the DVD and cause playback issues and the heat and spinning of the DVD can cause labels to peel off while inside the player. The price of inkjet solutions is coming down, but the bad thing about inkjet is it might smear/run if it gets wet (i.e. handled by wet/moist fingers). Thermal printing is more expensive, but it won't peel or run/smear. I use a low end thermal printer that is good for basic single color text and logos.

Lethal

UncleI

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2004
CD Stomper

I purchased a CD Stomper. However; with my Panther software all it did was crash. I contacted the company and they responded several days later, saying that they would be sending me a version that was compatible with Panther. I have been waiting, but still not received it. They did say 7-10 business days, it now has been 14 business days. So it remains to be seen whether they deliver or not. They did not ask for any fees (shipping or otherwise), so if they come through, it might be the way to go. :)

kant

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2004
LethalWolfe said:
Sharpie's can react w/the dye used in DVDs and destroy them over time. It's best to use a "dvd safe" felt-tip marker.

And I agree about the labels. I'd never use stick-on labels for DVDs.

Absolutely agree. Labels will come loose eventually.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
I bought CD Stomper a few years ago and that software was just crap. I had to do all sorts of workarounds on my printer to get it to align correctly on its own label pages. I still have the little platform applicator, so....

I got Disc Label, a shareware app that will import your song titles directly from iTunes and artwork from iPhoto. It works great, better than anything I've seen on store shelves.

clearaway

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2005
aloofman said:
I bought CD Stomper a few years ago and that software was just crap. I had to do all sorts of workarounds on my printer to get it to align correctly on its own label pages. I still have the little platform applicator, so....

I got Disc Label, a shareware app that will import your song titles directly from iTunes and artwork from iPhoto. It works great, better than anything I've seen on store shelves.

What does Disk Label cost and where can I find it? Thanks.
Al

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.