Good CD/DVD Labeler?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Makosuke, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    I'm looking to buy an inexpensive label maker (applicator, really, I guess) for some DVDs I've been burning, but wasn't sure if there's really much difference between them.

Anybody bought some of the ones in the $10-$15 range, and did they work acceptably?

K-Mart has the Memorex CD/DVD compact Label Maker System (Amazon page) for about $16, but I read a review somewhere that said the Mac templates didn't work well.

I did find a few positive reviews of the Avery Afterburner (Amazon page), but can't find them locally so I'd have to wait for it to ship.

Anybody have experience with these or other CD/DVD labelers? Recommendations?
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    personally i have always just used whatever stomper is lying around, and avery labels... i made my own templates, as they're for win word and don't convert well. a lot depends on technique, CD labeling can be difficult...

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    Get one with a stomper that's all that really matters. It's a device with a spindle to put the disc on so that when the label is applied it goes on centered correctly.

The one I got is the CD Stomper. It came with software for Mac or PC so that you can just drag an image to the softwares layouts and have it print correctly to the labels.
  4. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    It's called a Sharpie. But I don't blame you if you're one of the millions who can write anything legible. Just note that if the cheap glue doesn't hold on the lable, you're gonna have a helluva time cleaning/fixing that CD/DVD player.
  5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Sharpie's can react w/the dye used in DVDs and destroy them over time. It's best to use a "dvd safe" felt-tip marker.

And I agree about the labels. I'd never use stick-on labels for DVDs. If you don't get it centered it can unbalance the DVD and cause playback issues and the heat and spinning of the DVD can cause labels to peel off while inside the player. The price of inkjet solutions is coming down, but the bad thing about inkjet is it might smear/run if it gets wet (i.e. handled by wet/moist fingers). Thermal printing is more expensive, but it won't peel or run/smear. I use a low end thermal printer that is good for basic single color text and logos.

6. UncleI macrumors newbie

Aug 2, 2004
    CD Stomper

I purchased a CD Stomper. However; with my Panther software all it did was crash. I contacted the company and they responded several days later, saying that they would be sending me a version that was compatible with Panther. I have been waiting, but still not received it. They did say 7-10 business days, it now has been 14 business days. So it remains to be seen whether they deliver or not. They did not ask for any fees (shipping or otherwise), so if they come through, it might be the way to go. :)
  7. kant macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    Absolutely agree. Labels will come loose eventually.
  8. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Lethal is dead on, use CD/DVD safe markers and stay away from those labels..
  9. aloofman macrumors 68020

Dec 17, 2002
    I bought CD Stomper a few years ago and that software was just crap. I had to do all sorts of workarounds on my printer to get it to align correctly on its own label pages. I still have the little platform applicator, so....

I got Disc Label, a shareware app that will import your song titles directly from iTunes and artwork from iPhoto. It works great, better than anything I've seen on store shelves.
  10. clearaway macrumors newbie

May 14, 2005
    What does Disk Label cost and where can I find it? Thanks.
  11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Holy crap. Does this thread have a sign on it that says "please resurrect every 9 months"? :D