Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maraczc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Right now Future Shop and Best Buy are having a sale on one of their compact notebooks. I worked it out and if I sold my iBook it wouldn't cost much more to buy it.

The notebook is an AMD with the same dimensions, screen size, battery life, and hard drive as the iBook. The differences are:

Combo Drive (I have the CD model)
Athlon Mobility XP 1.6 GHZ Proccessor
DDR Ram and 3 USB 2.0 Ports
ATI Mobility Radeon 32 MB (The good: it's 4x apg, the bad: shared memory)

Would you trade up to this even though it's windows? Will it be ALOT faster than my 800 MHZ iBook?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I'd say the deciding factor for me would be the OS. I'd rather my personal machine ran OSX than XP, but that's just me.

edit: Does the PC have Firewire?

rebelberg21

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2003
Might not get too many unbiased answers on here....lol

But I understand you're problem.

My brother has a PC with XP and a very similiar processor as the one you're talking about.

But as the person above said. The OS for me is a deal breaker. The PC could have the fastest processor available but I truly don't like XP. (So it's you're preference really.....are you really willing to let go of OS X?)

After using my brother's PC I'm reminded of why I don't use them anymore.

Good luck which ever way you go.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Here is another example of why Apple should never allow their OS to run on an Intel-based system. Why would you buy a high-priced Mac over a $400 Dell that will blow it away? Unless Apple thinks it can survive as solely a software company (with perphials, of course) I think it would be a mistake.

Just my opinion. (sorry for hijacking this thread).

As a recent switcher (Feb 03) I could never go back to the headache of Windows (well, don't have a choice at work...).

-Breeze

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I'm not sure how long I could stand using windows XP, but the computer seems like a pretty good machine. v said that AMD procs are not laptop friendly, so it seems you might benefit from looking for something with a pentium. While they are much more expensive the intel Centrino procs are supposedly really good. In the end it comes down to your decision on how much you want the hardware over the software.

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
Is it nearly as cool looking as the iBook? And also, how do you plan to use the laptop? As a desktop machine that you might move around the house/apartment/dorm room/office, or truly as a portable? If you're determined to switch and want to take it with you all sorts of places, then I'd go for a Centrino, I've heard they're very laptop friendly. Otherwise, I'd say go for the AMD.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
I just built my own PC and I can say that XP isn't as bad as alot of mac users make it out to be. I still prefer my mac, but XP has crashed less than OS 9.

maraczc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Thanks for your tips but I'm not interested in shopping around for a new computer right now. And I'm certainly not interested in buying a Centrino. It's either switching to this mentioned computer or not switching at all.

And yeah, it looks ok.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Originally posted by bobindashadows
Is it nearly as cool looking as the iBook? And also, how do you plan to use the laptop? As a desktop machine that you might move around the house/apartment/dorm room/office, or truly as a portable? If you're determined to switch and want to take it with you all sorts of places, then I'd go for a Centrino, I've heard they're very laptop friendly. Otherwise, I'd say go for the AMD.

The Centrino processors are made only for laptops, and laptops that have Centrinos also come with built in 802.11b wireless networking support.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
The specs on the laptop you are considering are similar to my Athlon XP desktop. I don't have an iBook, but I'd say the performance is comparable to my 12" Powerbook in the applications that I commonly use. Personally, I wouldn't trade. XP isn't bad in my opinion, but OS X is better. If you don't think so, then by all means trade.

CooCooCaChoo

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2003
Originally posted by Vlade
I just built my own PC and I can say that XP isn't as bad as alot of mac users make it out to be. I still prefer my mac, but XP has crashed less than OS 9.

I would take exception to that, having sold these pieces of pain and missery.

I love the x86 but hate Windows with a religious zeal. If I could run Macromedia Studio MX, Corel Graphics Suite and Painter 8 on FreeBSD (which I used to run; Penitum III 550Mhz, 768MB RAM, 60gig HDD, Matrox G550 w/ FreeBSD 4.8, KDE 3.1.2 compiled using GCC 3.3), I would have stuck with the PC.

Most of the problems associated with running a PC can be clearly placed on the sholders of Windows, not the hardware itself.

Whilst everyone else was using the Intel ACPI code and specifications Microsoft did their own, net result? just look through the Microsoft knowledge base at the number of issues Microsoft suggests "reinstalling Windows" as a solution.

G3-Pwnz-G4

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2003
...or you could just keep the ibook and then buy yourself a thing of oreo's, rent a dvd, get some milk, and enjoy the evening!

oh yea, lemme say a lil something about a topic that pisses me off: os9 is outdated. stop using it as a model of comparison.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Originally posted by G3-Pwnz-G4
oh yea, lemme say a lil something about a topic that pisses me off: os9 is outdated. stop using it as a model of comparison.

Ok, then I will say it crashed less for me than OS 10.1.

G3-Pwnz-G4

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2003
Originally posted by Vlade
Ok, then I will say it crashed less for me than OS 10.1.
well, yea. that's cuz it's 10.1... jaguar hasn't crashed for me in quite some time.

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
Originally posted by G3-Pwnz-G4
well, yea. that's cuz it's 10.1... jaguar hasn't crashed for me in quite some time.

Jag crashes for me about every 6 days. But my iBook is very abused. And usually its Mozilla that kills it.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Good Deal?

Originally posted by maraczc

Would you trade up to this even though it's windows? Will it be ALOT faster than my 800 MHZ iBook?

it all depends on what you use it for

for internet, word processing, email, and computer programming, my pentium II level PC laptop with 160 mb ram is as fast as my pentium 4 desktop with 512 mb of ram

for basic things, your 800 mhz ibook will feel as fast as the newer PC laptop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.