good first book to learn c++??

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by kashmoney2006, Mar 3, 2008.

1. kashmoney2006 macrumors regular

Dec 12, 2007
    I need a book learn learn c++. I have done java but that's it. I need to learn c++ for a project and need to have a decent hold on it by next week. Does anyone know of good books I can pick up to teach me? Thanks for you help.
  2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Oct 2, 2006
    The Land of Hope and Glory
    Decent hold on C++ by next week? Tall order, especially seeing as you have to do manual memory management and the joy of pointers neither of which Java has (as far as I am aware).

You could start by reading though.
  3. kashmoney2006 thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 12, 2007
    well I have about 2 weeks including spring break. So I'll have plenty of time. I'll look at that site to start. I was just looking for recommendations before I go out on my own and buy a book to start me off.
  4. yeroen macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2007
    Cambridge, MA
  5. JLatte macrumors 6502

Dec 2, 2005
    San Diego
    I've used many books, but have found Deitel & Deitel to have the most detailed, while being the most understandable out of all the books. They are thorough and cover everything. I just recently bought C++ How to Program 6th edition by Deitel & Deitel as a reference. It's a wonderful book, and unlike most books, they start you off with the core of C++ in classes and the concept of object oriented programming. They provide LOTS of examples, case studies and a long term project throughout the book.

Check it out for yourself, here's the book directly from their site but perhaps you can find it in a bookstore. I'd recommend checking it out first in person, because it's a really good book, you'll understand once you read it. Not filled with technical jargon that uses terminology as though the authors assume you understand.
  6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    I suggest you start with ,too. But as you progress through the language you will see that you can never, EVER say that you know good C++. There are always things to discover and things to master. I doubt that even Bjane Stroustrup has taken advantage of all C++ features to a big extent.

2 weeks is a very tight deadline in my opinion.