Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamb100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Milwaukee Wisconsin
I need a semi good photo editing program and Seashore is not adequete enough, and my mac cant handle Photoshop plus I dont got a legal copy. I know the gimp exists but it requires X11 and it ruins the mac experience.

Any good free programs?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Photoshop Elements?

not as high-end as PS but might run better?

what are you looking to do?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I doubt your Mac can't handle Photoshop. Why do you think this? If you're talking about your G4 Mini, then you're off base by a mile. 512 Mb RAM isn't generous, but for native OSX/G4 it is adequate for Photoshop, although 1 Gb would be better.

If it is an old Mac, look for an older version of Photoshop. I have PS 7 on my G4, and PS 4 still runs fine on my G3 under OS 9

Graphic Converter is a general purpose tool that can do some but not all of the work. An older copy of Photoshop LE, Photoshop Elements, or Imageready may work, too. Macromedia Fireworks is also an image editor.

But I don't think you're going to get Mac-native GUI, semi-pro almost PS quality image editor for free.

goodmacman

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2006
gimp for mac

I would consider gimp for mac if I was you. It is actually very good and very feature rich. I have used it for ages very happily although as soon as I can afford it and it is available I will get the next release of Aperture.

fayskelley

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
old thread I know, but I downloaded X11 and Gimp ... X11 opens fine, but I cannot get Gimp to open !

Am on Intel MacBook Pro and running latest Tiger

any help ?

thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.