Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuna

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
I help this old man with his computers. Basic stuff like making sure auto updates are still downloading, making sure backups are still automatically running, periodically uninstalling crapware, configuring his programs, basic stuff like that.

He needs to have a Windows computer because he has no interest in learning Mac and because he uses several programs only available for Windows.

Is there any reason that I can't think of that I shouldn't recommend, for his next computer, a Mac running Windows in Boot Camp? Is there a way to configure new Macs so that they automatically boot into the Windows partition without being prompted?

The reasons I am thinking about recommending Mac hardware running windows:
  • He's not price sensitive
  • It seems to me to be the best laptop hardware you can get regardless of OS, including relatively durable solid metal chassis, big sophisticated touchpad, and bright high quality high resolution screen.
  • Boot Camp seems to be well-supported, perhaps I would even go as far as saying that running Windows on a Mac is better supported than Windows on 95% of PC computers just because of the massive number of people that have any 1 Mac model that has identical hardware components.
  • If he ever has hardware problems he can get great support by just taking it to the Apple store
  • He wouldn't be able to get Windows software support but there really isn't such a thing as Windows support any more it doesn't seem; if the high school students behind the Geek Squad counter or the Indians reading their troubleshooting scripts can't fix something, it seems most of the time they just give you a new PC now if you're under warranty.
Me personally, if I was just to have 1 Windows laptop, unless I wanted a gaming laptop which Apple doesn't really offer, my absolute ultimate choice would be to run Windows on Mac hardware.

However, is there anything I'm not thinking of that would make this a bad choice for an unsophisticated PC user? Am I wrong in any of my assumptions about the benefits?

Basically, is this going to introduce any complications or am I going to be able a Mac to consistently boot into Windows without any problems?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.